Floaty Fish

lenacara

:hmm Hi all :hi Fernando the Oranda has been having floaty problems for a while now. First it was only occasionally and this was when they were all in a 20 gal tank. Now 3 months have gone by, my 75 has been cycled, I'm reading everything I can about how to solve this and the floating is getting worse. I started soaking the tetra crisps and it only helped for a while and lots of people said it was bad so I switched. I switched to Omega One and skoked for 45 min then fed and it worked for about a week. I am now on the 2nd day of Hikari Fancy Goldfish mini sticks and he is floaty again. I know it's food related because he is usually floating within 3hrs of eating and back at the bottom by the end of the night. I have heard that this can come from overfeeding but he eats like a little pig and nudges the commets over so he can have more. And within the last week the black moor has started to get just a bit floaty. I must admit to not feeding peas but I will start doing so tomorrow. So... I was thinking of putting in a divider to keep the oranda and moor seperate from the commets and just feed them less and do Hikari every morning and peas every night. Do you think it's worth trying? Or maybe hikari one day and peas the next? I can give the commets all of the different brands that the fancys can't have in the meantime and make it not a complete waste of money. I don't have the room for another thank right now and am really at a loss. My boyfriend says that the fish must be used to it by now and that I should just stop over reacting. What do you guys think?

I thnik he has a food allergy to the Saki Hikari. Thsi happened to my fish too and they went bottoms up after eating. Do you think you could try progold? That ones all natural yummies. Stop feeding the saki hikari for a bit. I think that's what's making him float. After a pea and no saki hikari see if he improves.

Thanks Haruka I just ordered some. Do you think part of it could be over feeding? Should I stick in a divider to slow her eating down a bit? I was also thinking it might be a good idea because I have to fast the commons every time I fast her and I know they just want to eat eat eat :)

• Supporter

i say it's the food too, but you can never be too sure. there are many underlying factors as to why a fish floats and if we can receive the information above in order to understand the environment your fish is living in, we can then determine if it is the food or not.

please reply with the information above.