Train Sets. Anyone Like Em?

Deku

hey guys. I really always wanted one, since I was a child. I always loved them. Now Iam wanting to set one up soon. Iam thinking id get it when I make more room in my room. lol. I was thinking of getting a table just for that. Id use a plastic table. But Iam a klutz. So Iam going to get a wooden table. I was thinking of making the thing like 5-6ft long, and 4ft wide. Idk if thats enough. But I wanna make a scenario of a forest, with a mountain area going towards the back. I really love forests and woodlands, and mountain ranges. I was also thinking at some portion I could make it look like its pssing a river. That part ill have to figure it out. But I want the train to go through the mountain. I'ved been looking online for train sets. But its confussing. Theres like alot of categories like G, N and some other letters I kinda forgot. lol. I want a medium sized train or a small train. something that can make a lot of use of the set I only want at most like 7carts. I want them to be the same color. I'd prefer a green train, or a black train. I want the train to look realistic. Not one of those cheap models that are made of plastic and look extremely crappy or cheap. I see how much they go for. But some of them look badly done. :/ So if they cost like a 100bucks or so. Id like to get something thats first of all made of metal. I prefer metal, and something that looks like its well crafted. You know? I want it to be somewhat slow or medium. I don't mind if it makes a noise. Anyone know where I can buy trains? Any ideas?

I used to have a friend in Hamburg who had a whole room just for his train set. It looked amazing. He had mountains and cities with those little people and horses. It was enourmous. I think the brand name was Maerklin, german. They also make the Hogwarts train which looks really nice but it's really expensive. It looks completely real though. Did you try amazon.com?

I used to have a friend in Hamburg who had a whole room just for his train set. It looked amazing. He had mountains and cities with those little people and horses. It was enourmous. I think the brand name was Maerklin, german. They also make the Hogwarts train which looks really nice but it's really expensive. It looks completely real though. Did you try amazon.com?

Lol I didnt. I thought theyd only have crappy cars. I think the diecast look nice.

I just would like to learn what I need and all basics

Yea, it is a VERY expensive hobby. My boyfriend's uncle is crazy about them - he has been collecting them for about 30years!

I know that most train cabooses are around 5-600dollars! PLUS then you need the wagons (like 100 each). I think the uncle collects especially Swiss and German trains. I think this is how you set up a collection - you need to focus on one specific area. He has an entire room with the mountains build, river etc. It is really a very specific craftsmanship to make them look realistic.

My brother's little brother now started collecting them too - I think the best sized ones are the HO.

Let me link you to some sites that we have been using to find him christmas gifts! So you get an idea.

THis is the main one for the train sets

My link

And this is the one for the deco pieces

My link

enjoy :)

Yea, it is a VERY expensive hobby. My boyfriend's uncle is crazy about them - he has been collecting them for about 30years!

I know that most train cabooses are around 5-600dollars! PLUS then you need the wagons (like 100 each). I think the uncle collects especially Swiss and German trains. I think this is how you set up a collection - you need to focus on one specific area. He has an entire room with the mountains build, river etc. It is really a very specific craftsmanship to make them look realistic.

My brother's little brother now started collecting them too - I think the best sized ones are the HO.

Let me link you to some sites that we have been using to find him christmas gifts! So you get an idea.

THis is the main one for the train sets

My link

And this is the one for the deco pieces

My link

enjoy :)

Oh yes, those were exactly the ones my friend had, too. They look so real. I'd be worried to play with them though, because they cost a fortune...

Yea their lights light up and some even have the smoke coming out the top! :ignore

I think they are really collection items. In fact my uncle lent my boyfriend's little brother some (he is 14) and I am so nervous to see how he bashes them about :o

Yea their lights light up and some even have the smoke coming out the top! :ignore

I think they are really collection items. In fact my uncle lent my boyfriend's little brother some (he is 14) and I am so nervous to see how he bashes them about :o

oh wow he must really trust your boyfriends little brother. My friend in Hamburg was in his 60s and his children and grand children were not allowed anywhere near the trains...

they have always caught my attention. it would be very cool to has one. but im confident they can end up with quite the price tag. as for locations or stores to buy em. no clue. sorry

My husband has a train set...it takes up a good chunk of our living room. He is still finishing the landscaping, but it has mountains, a cabin and lake and a cool tunnel. Besides the fish tank it is one of the highlights of the room.

Lol i dont care too much for the price as long as the train itself doesnt go over 200bucks. I see some good trains for like 120. or so. Id like to have one that makes steam. I prefer steam over light.

I defenitely like the part that some blow out steam. Itd be sweet if it made a toot toot sound lolol. xD I prefer the green ones or the black ones. Id only use about 6feet long at most 8-10feet. And id use 4feet wide at most 6feet. lol

I just wanna make a forest, with a mountain on the back. where the train goes through the mountain. lol.

Instead of people. THere would be animal figures around. and waiting on the train station Id get a bear or a turtle driving the train. lolol.

My father got me into them when I was around 5 or 6. I had quite the large collection going. Once I got into high school I really didn't have the room or time to set it up. I donated all my stuff to a club on Devens. They had a huge set up, probably 10 sheets of plywood worth all up and running.

Edited by j-pond

I used to have a small train when I was younger, I really loved them. I kind of want to get back in to them. :)

I had one that made steam! It was my favorite! I think it might still be in storage somewhere. I can't wait to get my own house so I can set it up again. :)