Betta And A 20 Long

Guest Mike and Linda

Guest Mike and Linda

I have 1 male Betta in a 10 gal. I have a 20 gal long and was thinking of putting the Betta in there. Would that size tank be to much for the Betta?

As long as the water movement is not to much and you are ready to move him back just in case I would give it a try.

And that is the perfect size tank for lots of plants and he well love that.

Guest Mike and Linda

I would use the AC 20 and the pump is fully baffled and the intake tube is baffled also. There is very minimal current.

I will move him back if necessary

A 20L should be just fine. As Hidr said, just be sure he has no problems with the current. I've never had a Betta that seemed to not like the current before. Hopefully yours will have no problem with it either. I'd just recommend you be sure and heavily plant it. I know my kids always loved a well planted tank to peruse. ;)

Guest Mike and Linda

A 20L should be just fine. As Hidr said, just be sure he has no problems with the current. I've never had a Betta that seemed to not like the current before. Hopefully yours will have no problem with it either. I'd just recommend you be sure and heavily plant it. I know my kids always loved a well planted tank to peruse. ;)

It is 20 gallon long not 20 ltrs. He is in there we will see.

Oh, yes, I was aware. :D

That's my abbreviation for "20 long", although I know it's just like the 20 litre abbreviation...sorry 'bout that! :rolleyes:

I'm sure you already know this but I forgot to add "don't forget the heater." Anyways, I'm sure it will look great with all the greenery. :)

Edited by Kateana

Guest Mike and Linda

Since we changed tanks my Betta is beathing really heavy all of a sudden now. I changed him back to his 10 gallon but he still beathes heavy now. He was fine before we did the change. What could be wrong with him.

I just checked his water and his ammonia is 0, Nitrites are 0

Could be just stress wait a couple days for him to calm down and move him and then leave him a couple days see if he calms back down. Also be sure to move items from the 10 gallon with him that he is use too.

That's really strange cause I had my betta in a 20 for awhile and he loved it. Swam all around exploring all the time and did great. He's back in his 10 gal now cause I needed the 20 for other trops but he's still doing great. Makes me think something else is going on with your 20--maybe something poisonous to the betta like soap residue or ??? :unsure:

Guest Mike and Linda

He is back into his 10 gal. I never use any kind of soap or anything to clean a tank except for bleach but I rinse them very well.

The only thing different that we did was add a new stealth Pro heater. I noticed that when i plugged the heater in you could acually see the heat from the heater in the water. I have removed the heater and have the Rena Smart heater in there now.

When i removed the heater I touched the heater part and it was hot enough so that you could not leave your hand on it.

:o Personally I would doubt that the heater was the problem. My heaters are Hydor's and when they're running you can see the heat wave comming off them. My first thought about his heavy breathing was about pH. Did you test the pH of his 10 gallon in comparison to his 20 gallon? Could just be general stress as well.

Guest Mike and Linda

:o Personally I would doubt that the heater was the problem. My heaters are Hydor's and when they're running you can see the heat wave comming off them. My first thought about his heavy breathing was about pH. Did you test the pH of his 10 gallon in comparison to his 20 gallon? Could just be general stress as well.

When you touch the end of your heater does it get so hot that you can't hold on to it? Mine is like that. It is hot enough to burn a person

Was the bleach you used pure old fashioned bleach? I ask because it is hard to find bleach now without "Fabric(or Fiber) Guard" added(Ultra Javex is one). Fiber Guard is sodium polyacrylate. I used bleach on tank plants once, and noticed after "Fiber Guard" on the bottle. I threw the plants away, didn't want to risk it. The bucket I soaked them in had a film on the sides after several rinses too. That bucket has been thrown out.

Found this:

"Sodium polyacrylate is toxic through most routes of exposure, and has been implicated as a cause of staph infections. It is also a skin irritant, because it is able to absorb all of the oils and moisture from the skin, yielding a drying effect. "

Edited by Red

Yes, mine gets pretty hot. Once it was on and I had to move it from one place to another in my aquarium and it shocked me how hot it was. It felt like it burned me, but when I looked at my hand, no damage had been done. :blink: