Goldfish Poisoned? Help Asap

xstarlesseyess

Hi, I just joined this forum because I really need some advice. I go to a university where idiots buy the cheap feeder fish/goldfish for fun until the end of the semester, where they either a. take them home or b. flush them. I love fish and have had them in the past (haven't had them since I have come to school because I understand that they are my responsibility and living creatures.) I hate when people just flush all of their fish. Well today, I came across something much worse.

I was with my friends in some ones room and I saw a 15-20 gallon tank...filled with who knows what. I couldn't see through the "water." I asked him what was up with his tank, walked over to it and was horrified to see a sock floating, dead fish floating, and lots of them at the surface trying to breathe. It was so pathetic. He said he was trying to kill him and I asked him why and he said because he didn't want to take them home. Somebody else asked him what was in it, heres the list of stuff they actually know: hydrogen pyroxide, dayquil/nyquil (one of them), coffee, tobacco dip and there were some goldfish crackers floating around. There were other things in there but I couldn't tell you what they were.

Anyway, I felt horrible and told him I wanted them. I went and bought a net and food and managed to get all the living ones out (all I had to do was wait a bit and they all came back to the top.) I had no idea what I was going to do with them but I know the sooner they're out of there the better. I only have a small container for them and theres 15-20 of them. I don't know if they will live or not and I'm afraid they may poison other peoples tanks if they take them. But I may have found someone who knows people that love fish and may want them.

Is there anything I can do for them? Any medication I can put into the water? And if they end up finding a new home and live, should they stay in seperate tanks the rest of their lives from other fish? I know this is a very weird situation and I appreciate any help.

Thank you so much!

Please do not put them in a tiny container, that's making it worse as they have no oxygen. :( Did you put dechlorinator in the water?

I know you are trying to do the right thing and save them, but some fish just aren't meant to be saved. With 15-20 it'd be hard to find someone to care for them properly, let alone all of the damage they've suffered. Hydrogen peroxide will burn their gills as well as all that tobacco. I'm not sure they'd have the greatest chance at life.

Are they looking really bad? The nicest thing you could do is to probably put them out of their misery, Do you know what fish they are? A mixture of clove oil will put the fish out of their misery peacefully without anymore suffering.

This is an extremely hard case and I commend you for taking the initiative for trying to save them, but this honestly seems like a lost cause, especially if hydrogen peroxide was added.

I'm really sorry all of this had to come onto you :( I'm sure it's very hard.

Edited by Haruka

thanks for the fast response.

I've had goldfish before and do know they need a 10 gallon tank/fish. But my friend I had talked to is majoring in fisheries and wildlife (an amazing program here) and I messaged him because those kids in that degree have a respect for nature and take amazing care of their fish very well.

I am going to get them something bigger tonight or tomorrow. I didn't use dechlorinator because I used bottled water that was at room temp. Any fish supplies I have are unfortunately at home. But, oddly enough, for the most part these fish do look okay. I'm very surprised. If they all start to die off, I will use the clove oil (I don't have any here but I will buy some.) I really do understand the difference between letting them suffer and live, or putting them out of their misery but I truly think, from how they are now, that they are okay and could possibly all make a recovery, which is why I at least want to wait overnight. I just feel like these might be fighting fish and want to give them a chance.

But thank you for the help. If i see anything suspicious on them, like damage from their previous tank, I will do whats best for them. And at the moment, unfortunately the tank they are in are there only option unless I were to flush them-which I'm not going to do. I'm in a dorm at the moment and am limited but I'm doing my best for them and I know they are better off in this clean water at the moment.

Please do not put them in a tiny container, that's making it worse as they have no oxygen. :( Did you put dechlorinator in the water?

I know you are trying to do the right thing and save them, but some fish just aren't meant to be save. With 15-20 it'd be hard to find someone to care for them properly, let alone all of the damage they've suffered. Hydrogen peroxide will burn their gills as well as all that tobacco. I'm not sure they'd have the greatest chance at life.

Are they looking really bad? The nicest thing you could do is to probably put them out of their misery, Do you know what fish they are? A mixture of clove oil will put the fish out of their misery peacefully without anymore suffering.

This is an extremely hard case and I commend you for taking the initiative for trying to save them, but this honestly seems like a lost cause, especially if hydrogen peroxide was added.

Later on see if you can pick up dechlorinator if possible. The problem with hydrogen peroxide is that it eats up flesh and cells that's why I'm so worried. Hopefully their gills weren't destroyed, I wish you the best. :)

thank you very much, again lol I completely understand and hopefully didn't come off as stubborn or anything, I was just letting you know what they looked like. I think maybe since there was so much water in their previous tank (well, whatever liquid it was) that maybe the hydrogen peroxide was able to spread out and not harm the ones I have. There were several dead ones at the top but so far these guys look okay. A few of them look like they may have like, dirt particles on them. Its hard to tell if its black spots that are apart of them (most of them are black and gold) or if its something else. It would be understandable if it was something was from the tank but are there any diseases they can get that are black particles on them?

Oh my gosh, what a horrible thing for those people to do! :( Just unspeakable!

You did such a good thing saving them. I think with plenty of good clean water they could pull through. Some fish are pretty tough. Make sure you don't use distilled water (use spring water instead) because distilled water will have an unstable pH I believe, since it has all the minerals removed.

thank you very much, again lol I completely understand and hopefully didn't come off as stubborn or anything, I was just letting you know what they looked like. I think maybe since there was so much water in their previous tank (well, whatever liquid it was) that maybe the hydrogen peroxide was able to spread out and not harm the ones I have. There were several dead ones at the top but so far these guys look okay. A few of them look like they may have like, dirt particles on them. Its hard to tell if its black spots that are apart of them (most of them are black and gold) or if its something else. It would be understandable if it was something was from the tank but are there any diseases they can get that are black particles on them?

Oh no not at all :D Some of the black spots can be from burns or ammonia burns. You are definitely doing a very very good thing for them. Do you think you could be able to get pictures? It takes a lot of heart to do such a rescue like this.

That just sounds horrendous! Those poor creatures. :(

I as well commend you for making an effort to save them. They may just be able to pull through for you. Singletails are increadibly resilient; though no one really knows what damage has been done. I agree with you trying to give them a second chance, but if they don't seem to improve I suppose you would have to go with the clove oil as Tay (Haruka) said and kindly euthanize them. I feel for you and those goldies, really.

I'm curious, do you have any kind of filtration system set up for their container? As well, how often are you changing their water and how much?

As for your "black particle" question, I wouldn't know what that could be. A picture of the affected fish would be helpful for diagnosis, if you're at all able.

Best of luck to you and try to keep us updated. ;)

Edited by Kateana

thank you, I really hope they will! I do not have any filtration up because I literally got them about 4 hours ago from someones room and they aren't in a tank big enough for that. If I can tonight, definently tomorrow, I am going to get them something bigger for a temporary home. I am trying to find people I trust that want fish and seperate the fish rather then try and find someone to take them all. I actually am going to check my fish supplies at home to see if I can keep 1.

If I can get a good picture of some with that, I will post it. But if there are no known diseases, it is probably, like suggested above, a burn or something else from that tank.

Thanks for the help!

That just sounds horrendous! Those poor creatures. :(

I as well commend you for making an effort to save them. They may just be able to pull through for you. Singletails are increadibly resilient; though no one really knows what damage has been done. I agree with you trying to give them a second chance, but if they don't seem to improve I suppose you would have to go with the clove oil as Tay (Haruka) said and kindly euthanize them. I feel for you and those goldies, really.

I'm curious, do you have any kind of filtration system set up for their container? As well, how often are you changing their water and how much?

As for your "black particle" question, I wouldn't know what that could be. A picture of the affected fish would be helpful for diagnosis, if you're at all able.

Best of luck to you and try to keep us updated. ;)

What a wonderful thing you've done for these fish :heart Obviously these guys are strong to have survived that situation; they may just survive and do well with proper care from now on. I wouldn't add any meds till you can diagnose them properly in clean water :)

Edited by BuggyBear

Thank you, I do not understand how people can do this and will be writing to the president of the school. I am at least going to try and get them to stop giving away goldfish at events or letting them sell the for club events. Because I know where most of these fish go at the end of the semester.

I used regular spring water that thankfully I hadnt put in the fridge.

thanks for the response =)

Oh my gosh, what a horrible thing for those people to do! :( Just unspeakable!

You did such a good thing saving them. I think with plenty of good clean water they could pull through. Some fish are pretty tough. Make sure you don't use distilled water (use spring water instead) because distilled water will have an unstable pH I believe, since it has all the minerals removed.

thats what im praying for! thank you =)

What a wonderful thing you've done for these fish :heart Obviously these guys are strong to have survived that situation; they may just survive and do well with proper care from now on. I wouldn't add any meds till you can diagnose them properly in clean water :)

yeah that sounds like a real possibility. If I am able to get any good pictures of them, I will post them. thank you for your help =)

Oh no not at all :D Some of the black spots can be from burns or ammonia burns. You are definitely doing a very very good thing for them. Do you think you could be able to get pictures? It takes a lot of heart to do such a rescue like this.

I have a possible update.

I found a rescue online that takes in all sorts of animals, fish included. I e-mailed them and I believe they aren't horribly far from me (if not, a road trip is favor.) Their surrender page says they will take in anything, the only wait would be if they don't have room. So I have high hopes for these fish =)

happy update!!!

the rescue already got back to me and they are able to take the fish! they have to cycle the tanks and whatnot and explained everything and the fish will be able to be adopted out from there to new families =) problem is the 5 hour drive...but I don't really have any other options. And the thought of them having a chance and nice big tanks with new families makes me way too happy not to do it. Most likely I will be able to do this (might be some debate with my parents, i'm 22, but you know how they are lol) and I really can't believe how fast they responded.

as of now, i made a trip to the store and got them more and bigger homes that they are happily settled into. they are at least seperated out more, and have gravel. they aren't at the top for air so i will happily care for them until the rescue is ready. thank you all so much for the support =) i'll keep you updated! and i have grown a bit attached and may be keeping one or two small ones...

Edited by veggie

Well that is just horrible what they were doing to those fish. But you did such a great thing by saving them! The fresh water alone probably did wonders for them, and hopefully the online rescue group has room for all of them. :goodjob:thumbs:

edit: well that is some great news. :)

Edited by wigglies

thank you! seeing them in the clean water, i could practically feel the amazing feeling they must felt lol i felt so dirty just trying to get them (that net was disposed of right there and then, never to be used again it was so gross) so i can't imagine how good they feel now. the group would be able to take them all since they are small fish. and then from there, theres only bigger and better things for them. =)

Well that is just horrible what they were doing to those fish. But you did such a great thing by saving them! The fresh water alone probably did wonders for them, and hopefully the online rescue group has room for all of them. :goodjob:thumbs:

edit: well that is some great news. :)

Great news indeed! :D

Good work. It's good to hear they have roomier diggs for now. Keeping them as cool as possible and adding a airstone(s) to their containers would help slow down their metabolism (so you woudln't have to feed them much, hence reducing their output of Ammonia since you have no bb colony to take care of it) and keep more dissolved oxygen in the water since their gills most likely were somewhat damaged and could be working less efficiently. Once (or twice, if you can manage) daily w/c's (water changes)would also help improve the water quality when it comes to the Ammonia problem, considering the black spots you mentioned beforehand could very well be Ammonia burns and therefore their skin is already irritated enough. If you can't manage extra w/c's, you could add Prime, AmQuel, or even StressZyme (if you can't find the other two since StressZyme is merely a bacterial additive) to take care of trying to detoxify the Ammonia present and help keep them as stress-free as possible.

By the way, you can PM me if you like when it's time to get ready to bring them to this rescue if you'd like any advice on transporting goldies. When I lived back in FL, I rescued 11 Comet/Common goldies from St. Pete (30 min. drive from my previous home) and just last month I traveled 1500 miles over the course of about 2.5 days with all my fish to move to VT. All the goldie kids made it alive and well. I'd be happy to help you out any way I can. ;)

Edited by Kateana

i've been taking care of the little guys, all 24 of them. i've found one person interested in a fish. the rescue is so far and my parents are saying an absolute no to it =/ i was thinking of talking to the small pet store here and letting them know what happened. i'm sure they'll take the fish. i just wish i could give them the best outcome possible. but i will be e-mailing the president of the school and letting her know of this...theres a possibility the fisheries department here will take them and if they do, the fish will be in great hands. but so far, they seem great. none have died and all seem quite happy =)

WOW - I cannot believe those little guys survived with all that crap in the water. My god. I am so glad you put in so much effort to save them. And I hope that kid who was trying to kill them... well... I'll refrain....