Betta Lost Half His Tail. Please Help!

Kerstin

Hi there,

we've been gone for two days and had a house sitter. Just got home and my betta Gandalf has half his tail missing! I'm panicking!! What can I do what could have happened?? There are no dark edges around the tail so could it be something other that fin rot.

Please help!

Thanks.

He could have done it to himself. Tail biting isn't uncommon for bettas. It also could have been something in the tank. So you have plastic plants or any decorations that could have hurt him?

Thanks for answering. I don't think any of the plants could have done it. They are silk. It's like the middle of his tail in a "w"-shape that's gone. Really weird...

I'm going to do a 60% water change now. Is there anything else I can do?

Keep an eye on him and keep the water clean but sounds like you might have a tail biter.

oh no. Could he have been depressed because we were gone? He's never done that before. Should I add salt?

No one knows why Betta's do this.

Some say their tail gets to heavy.

Some say it is cause they get nervous and need to be in a more secure location.

Some say not enough variety of foods.

And some say they just get bored and then it becomes a habit.

As long as it looks good I would not worry with salt. And I doubt it had anything to do with you being gone.

My betta Poseidon was a tail biter until about a month ago when I moved his tank near a window away from any activity and near my other male betta (with a background between the 2 tanks so they don't see each other). well, his tail has grown back REALLY well and I am so happy! It was totally destroyed before.

He also used to get V shaped pieces off. He even managed to get his dorsal.

The key is to keep the water very clean and see if your betta wants more calm or more interaction :)

Thanks for the quick replies everyone. I really appreciate it. He seems a really active betta who really respond to people. Don't know if that's just the way he is or if he is stressed? He has plenty of hiding places, but it seems like he wants to know whats going on around him. I'll take a photo of his tail tomorrow, just to make sure it's not fin rot, but what's left seems to be pretty clean. :undecided:

Where is he located? Maybe he likes it when you are around and he started biting cause he was lonely? I think you can float ping pong balls in the tank - some like to push those around.

Where is he located? Maybe he likes it when you are around and he started biting cause he was lonely? I think you can float ping pong balls in the tank - some like to push those around.

That's what I was thinking, because he never did it before. I'll try a ping pong ball. I do spend quite a bit of time with him when I'm home maybe he missed that? Would be awful to think though that every time we go away he bites his tail off... I sure hope it does not become a habit! He had such a beautiful tail.

And there I thought I had fish keeping under control...

My guy was growing his tail out beautifully, and I came back from a weekend away to find half of it had ripped off <_< Not sure how, it wasn't chewed I don't think, my only theory is he got himself stuck behind the filter, it's growing out again now with no change in care or anything, some fish just find trouble!

My guy was growing his tail out beautifully, and I came back from a weekend away to find half of it had ripped off <_< Not sure how, it wasn't chewed I don't think, my only theory is he got himself stuck behind the filter, it's growing out again now with no change in care or anything, some fish just find trouble!

Thanks DD

Maybe that happened to here, too. It's kind of an awful thought that he chewed off his own tail. Just took some photos which I'll post tomorrow.

I think bettas can get attached to people or at least used to us. My mother in law's betta, his tank was moved to the dining room because where he normally is located is the place where she got the big Christmas tree.

He can still see into the living room, since there is no door between living and dining room, but just a big doorway. Ever since the move he hangs out in the corner closest to the living room and he watches the people there.

So I can imagine that he got bored maybe?