Feeding Your Cory Cats

blackteles

Just a short subject on feeding your Cory Cats:

Corys live feed primarily on the bottom of the tank. They find food by sensing it with their barbels. Many people get catfish specifically for that reason - to clean up uneaten food. If you rely on that, your corys might not get enough to eat. It's a good idea to feed them sinking food that they will have a chance to get at before all the other fish do.

Many people suggest feeding them just before you turn off the lights at night. Once the tank is dark the corys have an advantage when it comes to getting food, because they find food using touch, not sight.

Corys do well on a mixture of live, frozen and dried foods. A high quality diet, right in live of frozen food, is important to get them into breeding condition.

I use a variety of foods for my Corys....Aqueon Bottom Feeder Tablets, Hikari Algae Wafers, Tubifex, and Bloodworms.

Many people think they'll survive by cleaning up leftover food from the bottom however if you want your Corys to flourish extra care in feeding them is a necessity. ;)

Thanks for posting this Dennis! Very interesting and good info to know! :)

I have been feeding my tank soaked flakes - that way the top and middle fish food as it sinks and then the corys get it when it hits the substrate. Have also been feeding bloodworm and dropping in algea wafers (which they love) :)

• 3 months later...

I adore my cory cats. Two of them are about 5 or 6 years old now! Mine will come out and eat when I feed the other fish during the day. They know exactly where I drop their food now (algae wafters and shrimp pellets mainly) and then all rush out at once, along with my ottos, for a feeding frenzy!

I adore my cory cats. Two of them are about 5 or 6 years old now! Mine will come out and eat when I feed the other fish during the day. They know exactly where I drop their food now (algae wafters and shrimp pellets mainly) and then all rush out at once, along with my ottos, for a feeding frenzy!

Frenzy is right. When I drop in the catfish pellets all the fish chase them around the bottom--5 cories, 2 platies, 1 guppy and ghost shrimp!! :D

Frenzy is right. When I drop in the catfish pellets all the fish chase them around the bottom--5 cories, 2 platies, 1 guppy and ghost shrimp!! :D

When I had my dwarf gourami he would get in on the action, hovering just above the pellet and sucking up any bit that floated up! The tetras don't do this though, they prefer food mid-water so the bottom feeders have their food all to themselves :P