Fake Snow "blanket" Good To Use As A Filter Pad?

Guest Halloween

Guest Halloween

You know the stuff. The big sheets of white fiber that come out around Christmas for people to use with their Christmas villages etc. I sell this stuff where I work and I was wondering if anyone has ever used it in their filters? Obviously it's the glitter free kind. I looked at the package to make sure there were no additives like dyes or masking dyes (is there such a thing??) etc. It looked all clear but I figured I'd run it past you all first just to get opinions. I would be using this stuff in my smaller in-tank Whisper filters since I go through it so fast. Plus if it's safe to use I can save a TON of money buying it instead of the fancy stuff at the pet store since they STOPPED carrying the plain white stuff. :D

Ya for some reason my pet shop stopped carring it too so I buy the stuff that is blue and white. Cost more but I know it is fish safe. I wouldn't use that fake snow stuff. No clue what is really in there.

I probably wouldn't use it because they often spray those decorations with preservative chemicals and hypoallergenic chemicals and all sorts of stuff.

(I admit I was going to originally post a reply that said "unless you want really sparkly fish..." then you said the glitter free kind, :lol;) )

I do, however, use polyfill (stuffed animal stuffing) in my filters. The non-hypoallergenic kind. It's about $5 for a large bag. I have never had a problem with it. I use this brand, so I am not sure about others...

Guest Halloween

I use the blue and white stuff now form the pet store. I went to put away the fake snow blanket and I squeezed the plastic bag it was in and the stuff inside smelled like glue!!!! Good thing I didn't buy it!!

• 2 weeks later...

Same here, I go with the blue and white from the LFS. A couple months ago I was at a big fabric store though and they had material that looked like it would be awesome as filter stuff, but no one could tell if it would be fish safe or not.