"blood Shot" Dorsal Fin

wndywees

[*]Ammonia Level? 0

[*]Nitrite Level? 5.0

[*]Nitrate level? 20

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? 7.6

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API Freshwater Master Test Kit

[*]Water temperature? 70f

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 10gal/2 months

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)? Aqua-Tech (I dont know the exact size, it's the one that came with the tank)

[*]How often do you change the water and how much? Have been doing daily water changes for the last week, 25-50%

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size? One 3" single tailed common goldfish

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? Aqueon water conditioner

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often? Tetra Fin Goldfish Flakes

[*]Any new fish added to the tank? No

[*]Any medications added to the tank? He had the same red streak in his dorsal fin about 2 weeks ago, the pet store employee suggested I treat him with Maracyn Two which seemed to work the red disappeared after a few days. I treated the tank for 5 days, everything seemed fine until this morning - now he has the same bloody streak. It starts close to his body on the front portion of his dorsal fin.

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Bloody Streaks (see above).

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

My single tail common goldfish has bloody streaks on his dorsal fin - this is the second time in just over two weeks. When they first appeared I went to a pet store and they said it appeared to be septicemia and suggested I treat the tank with Maracel Two - which I did. I posted on Kokos a few days later, but didn't have a test kit so I wasn't able to give many details. I did begin doing daily water changes as suggested, as well as removing small handfuls of gravel (I unknowingly had way too much, 2-2.5"). I'm down to about 1.5" so far. I know now that the 10gal is too small, and have ordered a 29gal. It should be here any day.

I noticed this morning that the red streaks are back again in his dorsal fin. I finally received my test kit this morning so I've included the results. The nitrite reading seems really high, and I dont know what to do to get it down. Can this cause the blood in his fin? Im not sure what else to do. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

:( Your nitrites are insane right now, I would do an 100% water change. It's extremely lucky that the fish have not had serious repercussions from 5.0 nitrite. Your tnak is in the midst of cycling so you need to be doign daily large water changes. Please don't treat with medicine, the red streak is due to nitrite poisoning. Daily water changes should really help.

Just a tip, when you get the new 29 gallon tank you'll want to have a filter that turns over 290 gallons of water per hour or greater. Aquaclears are great for this. :) Continue doing daily water changes and you should see an improvement.

Are you able to test your tap water's pH at all?

This could also be a contributing problem. Can you age the water in tubs so that the pH will get up higher? Goldies need a pH of 7-8.5 as long as it's basic. I would get some crushed coral and put a handful of it in some pantyhose (rinse it very well or you will have milky water!), and put it in your filter. This will keep your pH stable. As for water changes you can put the water in a tub and add a bubbler to it and let it sit for 6 hours to get the pH stable.

I haven't been able to get my nitrites down. Night before last I did a 100% water change, last night 80%. I tested this morning and everything is exactly the same - nitrite is still 5.0. All other readings are identical to above. I still have too much gravel (have been removing 1 handful at each water change) could this be contributing? His dorsal fin no longer is streaked with blood, and he's acting and eating normal. Other than continuing to do daily water changes is there anything I can do - any additive, etc. that I should be doing. My tank should have already cycled, it's been almost 2 months - but.... I had a power outage a few weeks ago and the filter was not running for almost 8 hours - could that have caused problems?

Thanks much!

Yes if you don't clean your gravel out properly and constantly this can cause problems, as well as the power being off most likely killed your cycle. IF the filter dried out the BBs dried out too :( Also with the amount of waste the single tail is producing adds to it.

When you get your 29 gallon I would make it a barebottom tank with no hollow ornaments, maybe just some large rocks and maybe tie an anubias and or a java fern to it. This should help you out alot.