[*]Test Results for the Following:

[*]Ammonia Level? 0

[*]Nitrite Level? 0

[*]Nitrate level? 5

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? pH 8.2

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? pH 8.2

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API drops

[*]Water temperature? 74 F

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 40 gal, 9 months

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)? ECCO 2236

[*]How often do you change the water and how much? 1 a week 80%

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size? One 4 inch telescope goldfish

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? API tapwater conditioner

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often? daily auto feed of Hikari lionhead, bloodworm, shrimp, spinach supplements

[*]Any new fish added to the tank? no

[*]Any medications added to the tank? no

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? One eye enlarged significantly, appears fluid filled/distended

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Acting perfectly normal and eating healthy

Okay, so I think my telescope has popeye. Pictures to come later. Suggestions? I'm cleaning out the tank again tonight and ordered metro-meds just in case this progresses. If it comes to that, will the medication kill the bio-filter? I assume so.

Thanks for the help!

Can't wait for the pics. DOn't panic yet. Sometimes telescopes get growth spurts which look like they have donuts around their eyes - is this what it looks like?

On the other hand, no, MetroMed foods will not affect the bio filter at all. :) But if it is indeed popeye, usually a good tank cleaning and some salt is all that is needed. :)

Can't wait for the pics. DOn't panic yet. Sometimes telescopes get growth spurts which look like they have donuts around their eyes - is this what it looks like?

On the other hand, no, MetroMed foods will not affect the bio filter at all. :) But if it is indeed popeye, usually a good tank cleaning and some salt is all that is needed. :)

Yes! My fish has recently had some amazing growth and color changes. What concerns me the eye in question is much larger than the other and the lens doesn't appear crystal clear and flat, rather like fluid is behind it. Is it like whole eye structure is shaped like a donut? Sort of. There is a somewhat raised ring around it.

I have plants in my tank though, so I'm hesitant to start adding salt...

Edited by WalpigrsNM

what plants do you have? I have java ferns and anubias and they are fine with even 0.3% salt.

I will attach some pics of my moor. She has ENORMOUS eyes - and they won't stop growing. THey are sometimes unequal in size - then they even out in the end of the growth spurts usually. You can see all the different phases.

DSCN3410.jpg

DSCN3209-2.jpg

DSCN3089.jpg

However, if the eye appears 'cloudy' then there could be issues going on.

Yep that looks like pop eye and clouded retina. Have you had high nitrates or does your filter need the pipes cleaned? Any hollow ornaments? Somewhere in the tank there may be organic build up, gravel, old food trapped under ornaments or bubble wand etc, fermenting bacteria causes this.

Unfortunately the swelling of pop eye occurs behind the eye in an area that is cut off from the rest of the body, vascular system and isolated so is very difficult to treat. Medicines in the water may make things worse. Osmotic pressure can be reduced with 0.1 or 0.2% sea/rock/non table salt.

Yep that looks like pop eye and clouded retina. Have you had high nitrates or does your filter need the pipes cleaned? Any hollow ornaments? Somewhere in the tank there may be organic build up, gravel, old food trapped under ornaments or bubble wand etc, fermenting bacteria causes this.

Unfortunately the swelling of pop eye occurs behind the eye in an area that is cut off from the rest of the body, vascular system and isolated so is very difficult to treat. Medicines in the water may make things worse. Osmotic pressure can be reduced with 0.1 or 0.2% sea/rock/non table salt.

That's what I was afraid of. Cleaning the tank again tonight and salting. Can you direct me to the tablespoon to % solution calculations? Any other suggestions? How recoverable is this?

It is actually recoverable from. Dont worry too much. I have had it on fish like this (unilaterally) and the fish has healed. If the pop eye is on both sides it is WAY more serious, and indicates fluid retention also in the whole body (requiring epsom salt).

I would check all those hard to find corners..lifting stones etc to see if you can locate a collection of fermenting debris. I think it is best when a fish is liek this, to remove the fish for the big clean out as gases rise up during cleaning and can make things worse. Just a tub with some tank water and a bubble wand for a few hours will do.

Then, use the salt link in my sig to add salt. It is one teaspoon per gallon of tank water to start at 0.1%. I would do it in two stages, 0.1% today after the clean and then up to 0.2% tomorrow. Then leave that in at that level for a week.

It is actually recoverable from. Dont worry too much. I have had it on fish like this (unilaterally) and the fish has healed. If the pop eye is on both sides it is WAY more serious, and indicates fluid retention also in the whole body (requiring epsom salt).

I would check all those hard to find corners..lifting stones etc to see if you can locate a collection of fermenting debris. I think it is best when a fish is liek this, to remove the fish for the big clean out as gases rise up during cleaning and can make things worse. Just a tub with some tank water and a bubble wand for a few hours will do.

Then, use the salt link in my sig to add salt. It is one teaspoon per gallon of tank water to start at 0.1%. I would do it in two stages, 0.1% today after the clean and then up to 0.2% tomorrow. Then leave that in at that level for a week.

Thank you so much! I DID have a hollow ornament. Now gone. And I've reduced the gravel depth significantly and vacuumed every nook and crany of the tank. I have some Metro-Meds being delivered just in case this gets worse. What do you think would warrant the use of Metro-Meds and will it kill the biological filter?

I appreciate your advice and hope my fish will make it through. :unsure:

Great job on the cleaning! Don't worry too much - he looks like a real healthy fish except for the eye issue :)

I always managed to treat pop eye with some more frequent water changes and light salt like Imo said.

I don't think you will need MetroMeds - those are usually used for dropsy fish - and as it is medicated food, it doesn't harm the biofilter at all.

This fish has doubled in size since I bought it less than a year ago and apart from a rocky beginning has been doing great.

Trinket, thank you for your help.

And Captain Findus, thank you as well. Your Dr. House is adorable!