[*]Nitrite Level? <.3mlg

[*]Nitrate level?na

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? 7.5

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?na

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? tetra test laborett

[*]Water temperature? 70

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 75 gal 3 months

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)? fluval 350

[*]How often do you change the water and how much? once a week about 75% am a little late this week, usually do it sat or sunday but got busy so doing it as I type.

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size? 6 2 2 inch fancy and 4 comets from 2.3 to 5 inch

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? aqua clear

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often? switching around try to find something that wont make them float in the last week omega one for a couple days then hikari floating food waiting for sinking to come in the mail and nothing since Friday morning cause they got so floaty from the floating stuff

[*]Any new fish added to the tank? no

[*]Any medications added to the tank? no

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? one of my comets has a bloody fin by his butt and the scales at the base of the fin are red and swollen and just look scary in general

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? he is acting fine

just for some history this fish is the reason I learned anything about gold fish in general from April to June of this year he went through pop eye and clamped fins almost back to back and I had to do my research to get him better. I'm super attached cause I have spent hours staring at him trying to fix him and he is back at it again. Now I have been reading the tread lately and It's making me worry about my driftwood I have in the tank. I'll post some pictures in a bit so you guys can tell me if it has to go. I really hope not cause it took forever to secure and was quite expensive. No pics of the fish. He is just to fast and all I have is a camera phone. Should I qt the fish? The others are not messing with him. Should I add salt or any meds?

You are keeping up good with the water conditions I see, but you might want to do some more, maybe. Single tails need 20 gallons each, so only the four comets by themselves would push it a bit. I see though why you don't want to give them away, I don't either (got a similar problem with overstocking) so I do these 75% water changes twice a week instead.

It would be good to know what your nitrates are.

And the filter, I don't know this kind so I googled the Fluval 305 (I think that is what you mean) canister filter. If what I found is true, it has only 260gph which is far from enough for goldfish, especially in an overstocked tank. :(

As a rule of thumb, a gph of 10x the tank size is optimal for goldfish, which means you'd need a filter that has a water turnover rate of 750 gph, or a couple smaller ones that have this filtration combined (I use two filters with 340gph each in my 55gallon tank)

Does it look like an injury? I personally would do a big water change right now, remove the driftwood just in case, and salt the tank. Since he is acting fine, I wouldn't qt the fish yet.

The main issue I see (which has already given me SO many problems in the past) is the wood. THose are prone to having stagnant water and become breeding grounds for bad bacteria. I would remove it and VERY carefully syphon the gravel under the wood. If you see much gunk coming up you might even want to remove the sick fish for the time being - gasses stuck in the gravel are extremely poisonous.

Well I pulled the wood out and vacuumed the gravel really well and did a massive water change. Should I add any salt or med or just give him a couple of days? By the way this problem pop up yesterday sometime within 12 hrs. Is it normal for it to set on so suddenly with no signs of pink first?

My comet had the bright red blotches on his stomach. I believe in my case it was bacterial.

While I can't give you specific advise on how to treat him, and I don't know if your fish has the same problem mine did-- mine got better when I fed him medicated food along with keeping very good water parameters.

• Supporter

okay.. it looks like a blotch, but the pics aren't clear enought to me so i have to ask.. is it weeping blood? if it is, i suggest to qt and treat for open wound..

if not, i still suggest you qt incase it isn't from decorative items and perhaps from bullying or even bacteria..

as a precaution, if it were me, i would be preparing a qt just the same.

qt and daily water changes with prime or similar.. until the wound is gone. at least this way, you can keep an eye on it better or treat if it becomes worse without disrupting the other fish.