Omgosh

went downstairs into my bedroom to clean that 80 gallon and couldnt find my big oranda i freaked out i eman the tank is pretty well bare except 2 pieces of drift woodand a few large smooth beach rocksi look every where around the tank untill i see a small bit of orange buried in the sand "hes dead" i pick out the rock that was litterly on top of him a good 2-3 pound rock hes mushed in the sand he litterly buried himself under the fricken rock i get the net and wedge him out and he starts swimming!!! hes still ALIVE! i wuickly grabbed a 2 gallon tank i had handy and put half tank water and half new stuff in with an air pump and stone and hes in there now i added melefix since hes got large pieces of slime coat floating all over in the big tank and some pieces still on him his tail is allll bloody i mean the whole thing! and he is swimming around like nothing happend! he is pecking at the slime coat coming off himself! i tossed in a piece of mysis shrimp and he is eating! this fish just amazes me!! this isnt the firsst time somthing like this has happend either! hes gotten himself stuck for over night inside a plastic cave ripped out a bunch of his scales i took it out of the tank then he littlerly skewerd himself twice thru the mouth and out the gills on a fake plant i removed them then he has gotten himself wedged on more occassions hten i can count underneath the bubble wand! so when i set this tank up i have 2 large pieces of drift wood away from the tank walls and a few very large very smooth rocks also far away from the tank walls and i buried the bubble wands under the sand almost completly to keep him away from them i used sand as a substrate to keep him from getting hurt on it!! whoever wrote "curiosity killed the cat" obviously didnt own a goldfish..

i will let you know how he does thru the night so far he is doing fine but almighty if this fish survives this he will be the luckiest fish in the world i suppose im going to have to remove all the rocks as well!

OMGosh POOR FISH! :( goldie got literally SQUASHED under 2-3pound ROCK! OMG! And lived? Your tank sounds really dangerous... but thank goodmess your oranda lived. I think you should make your tank less risky for your oranda... who knows what could happen.

Sorry I would not put the fish in that small tank. I would move him back in with the rest and keep an eye on the water. Extra water changes and a little salt well help him heal up. I would also remove anything that can fall on your goldfish.

Good luck

Oh wow! Almost the same thing happened with my ryukin weeks ago. My tank is (was) bare bottom with a hand full of river rocks and one piece of driftwood for the pleco. I fed the pleco a couple algae chips before I went to bed and as always the goldis try to get the algae chips too. Next morning I get up and find Vanille wedged under the piece of driftwood, stuck, wiggling to try to get out. It was so SAD looking. She got some scales scraped off, but other than that seemed fine.

I kept her in the big tank, did a huge water change, added salt to 0.1% and did small partial water changes daily, additional to my two-huge-waterchanges-weekly schedule.

I now have my tank completely bare except for a bubble wand and two airstones.

I agree with Hidr, if he doesn't seem too bad then being in a bigger tank would probably help him heal better as the 2 gallon might stress him out. Time will tell, but he sounds like a tough little fish to me! :)

no the rock didnt fall on top of him he wedged himself under it for what reason i dont know.

i only moved him into the 2 gallon becuase the other goldie was pecking at him im guessing from the big chunks of slime coating im going to put him back in today since he looks like he is doing fine and the chunks of slime coating have all come off so i dont think the other goldie will be picking at him.

i just dont understand how he does some of this stuff! i swear when i set this tank up its pretty much bare except the drift wood and about 4 rocks and both the rocks and the driftwood is half buried in the sand!

Maybe he was looking for somewhere to hide? :D Although I've never had any of my own GF dig in the sand except for food, I do see some of my GF using ornaments as hiding places sometimes though.

• Admin

Yeah thats the one thing about goldfish, they are so curious about everything, and sometimes go place we wouldnt think they would go. One reason I have my tank simple :)

he is doing much better he got a small tear in his fin but im adding the melafix as directed and doing 30 percent water change everyday. ive never had much intrest in goldfish as far as pets but since i got this guy i couldnt imagine having anything else they just are so happy and seem a little slow in the head but always good natured. my boyfreind keeps angel fish and they are not as freindly seeming as goldfish

This is why I'm an advocate of having as little decoration in your tank as possible. These guys are clumsy, and a little stupid. They have almost zero idea how to take care of themselves.

All I have in my tank is gravel, a couple large rocks, and a couple empty plant pots. I'm even thinking about changing filters, because they sometimes run into the filter heads. I'm worried someones going to take their eye out.

Edited by Locke

I hope your little fella gets better soon! So sorry to hear that I'm sure your heart would've stopped in your chest! :o

I have a few things in my tank I plan to make it less when they get a little bigger no probs so far but your post helps others to think about dangers that may be in their tanks and not realise!

Get well soon! x

he is doing very well but last night i found a slow leak undeerneath the 80 gallon so its back to the 20 gallon for them untill i can get it repaired!!i left the 20 gallon completly bare of gravel and all keeps it easier to clean. let me just give everyone a bit of adice

WHEN THE TANK SEEMS LIKE A GREAT DEAL-ITS NOT!!

i have had nothing but trouble with this thing though in all fairness it only cost me 40 dollars for it,a syphon,lid,light,extra bulb,tank decorations,heater,4 filters(only 2 of which worked) and 2 full boxes of filter cratridges,a carton of salt,2 bubblewands and 3 air pumps which all worked.

this is the second leak and 3rd re-glueing ive had to do