Since Everyone Is Doing It

ashlee18

Its gone through a few changes in the two years I have had it.

55GallonTropTank.jpg

And this is it now.

I loved the plants and sand but the catfish uprooted all of the plants and killed the filter. I do like the change though. It has 9 angels, three pictus catfish, 5 female bettas and 1 albino long fin bristlenose pleco. It is over stocked but I compensate for that by doing large water changes and having three filters on it.

Wow... it resembles my dream tank XD. Nice setup. Sorry for all the uprooted plants and the killed filter :unsure:

This looks amazing! I love angelfish! I especially love the yellowish one with some black spots and the black face! The one you see really good at 1:22

Now I want to put more angels in our tank LOL But I probably won't. One at the most.

Anyway, thanks for posting this! It looks great now, I really love it :) The fake coral stuff often does not look right in tropical tanks. The driftwood/roots look so much better with angelfish :)

Thanks for the compliments everyone :) I hated the fake coral. It was my moms idea. The tank was in her living room at the time so I had to go with it. The angel with the yellow is one that no one can describe, other than weirdo. I like it better too. The fish seem calmer already since they have more to hide in.

How did you add more to your tank? Every time I try to add one in with Bully he picks on it till the stress kills it. I have been thinking of moving him in with the oscar since the oscar does not even go after my rainbows and then growing out 2 or 3 in my 29 to add in the oscar tank too.

How did you add more to your tank? Every time I try to add one in with Bully he picks on it till the stress kills it. I have been thinking of moving him in with the oscar since the oscar does not even go after my rainbows and then growing out 2 or 3 in my 29 to add in the oscar tank too.

well he was really aggressive when it was just him and his mate. He killed the silver fish in the first picture :( but I isolated him to his own 20 for a couple of months. Then I put him back in the 55 with a bunch of juvie angels. There were so many that he couldn't single one out. He hasn't reverted back to his old behavior yet, even with the females in the tank. His aggression is from breeding. Besides one of the fish, he was the last to go in the tank. So the other fish already had their spaces picked out. And whenever one of them gets overly aggressive over a spot I change the decor around a bit. Right now there is a little aggression between him and his son. His sons mate has moved on to him and now the son is challenging him. But they aren't causing too much stress between them.

The bettas are doing well. Besides one, they hide 24/7 in a group and only come out for food.

What a gorgous tank Ashlee! Its looking great - LOVE the black gravel, although the sand looked great too - bummer about the filter though.

Your angelfish are truley spectacular! :o:heart The big marble one is insanely beautiful!! Is he the father to all of them? He looks huge too! - How big is he? Was he big when you got him? How fast do they grow?

Really lovely!!

My old man is the father to the two marbles. 3 are from some spawns I did and three were purchased. The male is about 8 to 9 inches tall and 6 inches long. He was full grown at a year old. They grow fast. Almost right before you eyes.

Edited by ashlee18

Wow - that's so young! Thanks Ashlee :)

I still havent got a second one yet... and to be honest Im not sure if I want to - I do kind of like the idea of just having the one in my tank :) . By the sounds of it I'd better make my mind up pretty quickly LOL!!

Well they are social fish, some can just be uber agressive. So im sure your guy wouldn't mind a friend but it isn't necessary. It is fun to watch them school when they are in groups. I should take another video to show them all begging like puppies lol

Well they are social fish, some can just be uber agressive. So im sure your guy wouldn't mind a friend but it isn't necessary. It is fun to watch them school when they are in groups. I should take another video to show them all begging like puppies lol

Oh cool thanks for the info Ashlee! Well in that case I will find a friend for him/her :) . I have actually been tentatively looking, but just havent found one (thats unrelated) as nice as the one I already have - alot of them dont have nice fins. I get what you mean about the fins now :)

That is really nice--I like it too. Love the look of real plants but it does seem to be a hassle sometimes. Silk ones are great as far as I'm concerned! :exactly

Yeah, I had to quit the real plants because of the catfish. He uprooted them all! But its ok, they are going into the goldies' tank instead. I had to go with the silk plants since they are weighted down.

Migaloo - if you can't find your guy a friend, it won't be a big deal :) They do just fine alone.