Sick Ryukin

Rachelle K.

Okay, let me try this one more time. Everytime I try to post this, it shows it on the forum as "read" and I'm not getting any replies. I will try a different topic title. Please refer back to topic title "Help for Dorothy" which is now in the diagnosis and treatment section.

Hi,

I posted the message below as a continuation to my previous postings under "Help for Dorothy" but that was 6 days ago and I haven't received a response so thought I would post it here. Water parameters are still exactly the same (I've been checking them daily). The only thing that has changed is I purchased some Marcyn 2 and gave her dose #3 this evening. I don't have a hospital tank except for a 5 gallon without a filter. So she is in that right now but I'm wondering if I should move her back to my large tank with the other ryukin. I just purchased a bubble wand for that tank and the healthy fish is so much more active now and really seems to love the added oxygen....of course! Update on Dorothy. She is still doing a lot of bottom sitting but seems to be maybe slightly more active. I can't really tell if the red streaks on her tail have improved or not. I'm not sure when I should start to see improvement. She still seems very lethargic. I don't have her in the main tank because the male fish really seems to be picking on her....bumping into the side of her like he was doing before when he was trying to get her to release her eggs. It seems to wear her out so quickly so i thought it better to give her a place to rest in quiet and since she isn't swimming really, I didn't think the small tank size would be bad for now as long as I keep my parameters good.

Anyway, here is my original message. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Please help! Dorothy is not doing well, again! I have been doing water changes 2-3 x a week and my parameters have been perfect.

Today:

pH 7.6

Ammonia: 0 ppm

Nitrite: 0 ppm

Nitrate:10 ppm

KH: 120 ppm

GH: 75 ppm

Chlorine: 0 ppm

So...just a refresher on Dorothy. She was having issues...doing a lot of bottom sitting although eating fine. I treated her with a full course of PraziPro over a one month period...added the carbon back in the filter. Then a few weeks ago, Dorothy released a bunch of eggs and for about a week she seemed to be "back to normal"...swimming fine, not lethargic anymore. Now, over the past 2 days, she is back to a lot of bottom sitting. She is really lethargic. She seems to attempt to swim straight up (from the bottom) and barely makes it to the surface before she sinks back down fairly quickly. Now today, she sinks down and kind of spirals....can't really keep herself upright and seems to be out of sorts with not being able to swim accurately enough to get her food (which is Hikari gold pellets which I presoak for 10 minutes). She will sometimes sink back down and kind of fall over to her side. I do notice some red vein-like streaks in her tail that weren't there before....I know it's not ammonia poisoning as I have kept my parameters perfect since I inquired the first time...in October I think. To me, she looks like she might die but I don't want her to suffer. Also, when she is doing the bottom sitting, her dorsal fin is retracted back...not upright like it usually is. (

Any suggestions? Do you think it could be hemorrhagic septicemia that I should treat with Marcyn or Marcyn 2? I only have a 5 gallon tank to quarantine Dorothy to but I think I am going to do that right now. I don't have a filter for that tank but I will just do daily water changes to keep the parameters good.

Rachelle

How big is your main tank? How many fish are in there and how big are they? How often do you change the water and how much? What do you feed?

Without at least an airtsone your QT tank may be doing more trouble than good. I really think she needs pristine water and time to rest. No meds! I would suggest putting her back in the main tank and floating her in a colander to keep the mail from her. Is she eating?

Untill you can answer the rest of the questions start with a large 75% water change. There are just some things we don't test for.

Take her out of that tiny tank put her in a proper size tank or Get yourself a filter and seed it from your extablished tank and you can put her in a rubbermaid or bucket that holds a lot more water. Unless you are changing water 4 or 5 times a day that tiny tank can do more harm then good. Or you could try issulating her in the tank with the other goldfish. A divider, breeding net, or plastic colendar.(sp)

It could be eggs again and she needs the male to help her release them. Or it could be flukes. Other then red streaks are the fins split? Does she gulp for air? How do her gills look?

Please anwer the rest of the questions. Thank you

Good luck

How big is your main tank? 10 gallons.....and no I can't put her in a bigger tank right now. I have less than a dollar to my name. Don't even have enough for a tote. But I keep the parameters perfect so water quality is not an issue.

How many fish are in there and how big are they? 2 Ryukins....and yes I am aware I need 10-15 gallons minimum for each ryukin.

How often do you change the water and how much? I do a 65-80% water change once a week....check the parameters daily and change more often as needed.

What do you feed? Hikari Lionhead, brine shrimp, blood worms, lettuce, peas

I really think she needs pristine water and time to rest. The water has been pristine for the past 2 months. I have been anal about keeping it that way.

No meds! You don't suggest treating septicemia if that is what it is?

I would suggest putting her back in the main tank and floating her in a colander to keep the mail from her. I put her back in the main tank. She is sitting on the bottom just the same but the male ryukin seems to be leaving her alone.

Is she eating? Yes, she's been eating fine and pooping fine.

Other then red streaks are the fins split? Nope, fins and body are gorgeous. Just the red streaking down her fins but not at all on her body.

Does she gulp for air? No. She was a few weeks ago when I was treating her with PraziPro per recommendation on this forum. But she hasn't done that in several weeks.

How do her gills look? Good, nice salmon red color. She does seem to keep them clamped at times.

It could be eggs again and she needs the male to help her release them. How long would this take? Before I put Dorothy in the QT tank, the male kept chasing her and bumping into her for at least a week. Before when she released the eggs this only went on for a few days. It seems to be that she got worse after she released the eggs in term of her lethargy.

There was no need for a water change as I changed the water 3 days ago and the parameters are perfect just now when I checked (using the API drops):

pH: 7.6

Ammonia: 0

Nitrite: 0

Nitrate: 5-10 ppm

Chlorine: 0

KH: 120 ppm

GH: 75 ppm

My plan is to finish out the Marcyn 2 treatment but now that she is back in the main tank, I'm unsure if I need to do a full course of 5 days for the other fish (so 3 days extra, 5 days total for the healthy fish and 8 days total for Dorothy) since I have 2 more days for the fish I already started on the course an antibiotics. It seems to me that antibiotics should always be finished once their started.....and it seems like I have tried everything else. If this is septicemia and the Marcyn 2 is going to work, how long should it be before I see improvement?

Thanks for all your help. I am saving my money for a 40 gallon tank and a stand since I wouldn't have anywhere to put it. It's just hard right now financially with being in school full-time for another 16 weeks and a single mom. If I would have known none of this stuff would have worked, I would have spent the $250 in the past few months on a tank/stand instead of API drops, meds, bubble wands, etc......

Rachelle

How are your fish doing today?

I just want to let you know that there are MANY things that can cause streaking in fins. Just because you see fin streaking it does not mean that your fish have septicemia. It's actually probably something much more mundane. Like pH stress...

What is the pH of your tap water?

Have you already started the meds with the healthy fish? This is usually a bad idea. You want to save meds for when you really really need them, so you don't want to medicate healthy fish unless you already started them and then you have to finish out the course.