Possably Septicimia? Need Medication Help

Hello sorry if this is a long post i have had a male oranda in a 20 gallon tank for the past two years (he has recently been moved into an 80 gallon) i posted the story in introductions :)

for close to a year he has been showing blood streaked fins i never thought a whole lot about it becuase it started when he got cuaght in a plastic cave and got a large cut on the base of his tail its healed but everytime after that when he would swim quickly or erraticly

his tail would get blood streaks in it i would treat with melafix and the blood would go away untill the next time he would swim crazily. ive always done about 50 percent water changes once per week. the waters temps were always between 74-79 .he always gotten a diet of goldfish flake food,freeze dried blood worms,freeze dried mysis shrimp and frozen mysis shrimp andother assorted fish foods (omega one,tetramin) ive only recently begun putting salt in the tank since i was pretty new to fish keeping still kind of am! ive also stated feeding him romane lettuce,peas and spinich. he is about 7 inches from head to tail,my pearl scale is about 5 1/2 inches. i havent ever tested the water since my mom(whom im still living) wont allow the chemicals to be kept in the hosue so i havent ever bought them or used them.

as far as his behavior he is very active eats really well and is even starting to "court" my pearlscale chaseing it around bumping underneath of it.

so now on to my question!

ive been reading up about septicemia and have been looking around at differant medications but when i went to go and buy one at the local pet store the the guy there asked what all was in my tank i told him 2 goldfish and 2 pictus catfish and he told me i couldnt use the medication with the catfish as it could kill them. now im unsure of what i could use or if it would be best to just seperate my goldfish into a 10 gallon and treat him seperatly? or ive had one person tell me it could very well be a wound that keeps re-opening which is what i thought originally. can any one give me the name of a medication that would be good to use either with the catfish or seperatly with just the goldfish?

Could you please answer all of the questions at the top of the page?

[*]Test Results for the Following:

[*]Ammonia Level?

[*]Nitrite Level?

[*]Nitrate level?

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?

[*]Water temperature?

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)?

[*]How often do you change the water and how much?

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size?

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners?

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often?

[*]Any new fish added to the tank?

[*]Any medications added to the tank?

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

Please do not use any medication, I would also move the catfish to a new tank. It's safer to keep goldfish with goldfish. Is your tank cycled at all? Do you know your water parameters? Blood streaked fins can usually be attributed to poor water quality and ammonia poisoning. When did you last change the water? Also do not keep salt in the tank constantly, it should only be used for treating sick fish. :D I hope he feels better soon.

#1: well i have no idea what the amonia levels and such are my mom whom i live with will not allow me to bring those "chemicals" into he house seh worries that my nephew will find them since he is into everyone things including mine i keep trying to get around that btu so far no go.

the tank temp right now is at 74 degrees.

tank size in gallons is 80 gallons aprox i counted each gallon one at a time when adding. the tank has been running for about 2 months now 20 gallons were from the 20 gallon tank the fish were in and so was one of the filters i left the cartridges in when i moved it to the 80 gallon. the fish have been in the 80 gallon for about 2 weeks.

i use 3 filters all hang on box filters aquatech(from nooppee) 2 are the 10-20 gallon filters and the last is a 30-40 gallon which equals up to about 80 gallons.

so far i have yet to do a water change on this 80 gallon since i have been advised to wait another month is that wrong? when i had the 20 set up i did a 50 percent water change every week and some weeks a 10 percent in between.

40 fish in the 80 gallon the oranda is about 7 inches from head to tail tip a pearlscale oranda which is about 5 1/2 inchesfrom head to tail tip and 2 pictus catfish oth about 5 inches from tail to head.

i use a water conditioner called start right and i added salt when i set up this 80 gallon the reccomended amount for goldfish.

flake foods,freezze dried blood worms,romaine lettuce,peas,freeze dried mysis shrimp,sun dried flys,cyclop-ezze granuels from tetramin. they get fed between 2-4 times per day what ever is not eaten i fish out with a net.

no new fish added since about a year ago when i got he pearlscale.

i add melafix when his fins begin to bleed i do a single treatment.

no frayed fins,fungus,spots or anything else other then the bloody fins every once in a while ide say once per week for about an hour?

and no abnormal behaviors very active eats alot has never turned down food and doent sit at the bottom except at night unless i walk past the tank otherwise he acts fine.

i set the tank up 2 months ago 20 gallons out of 80 were aged water as in all from my fishes tank which was 2 years old. and 60 gallons were new water i have not since cleaned the 80 gallon as i stated before i was advised from a worker at my LFS to not do so for atleast another month to let the filters get good build up. what do you guys think?

Whoever told you to wait another month was horribly mistaken. You need to be doing a 50% water change weekly. :no: Please do not listen to pet store employees, they are often untrained and have no idea what they are doing. Do a water change IMMEDIATELY. I suspect your fish is sitting in toxic ammonia buildup and nitrite. Please encourage your mother to let you bring water test kits into the house. Your nephew can't get into them since they are too hard to open by a child. They are crucial to fish keeping as you need to cycle your tank.

so you dont think its not septicemia? what makes you think it isnt? im just trying to gather as much info as possable! ill start doing water changes again ill probably do one tonight! should i do 50% water change on an 80 gallon per week or should i do a 20 percent daily? which would be better? its so difficult becuase i also started raising guppies and guppy peope tell me to never do large water changes but my fish have always tolerated it well o.0 im just stumped!

i keep trying to tell my mom its important but she keeps saying "which is more important a fishs life or your nephews?" :doh11:

since going thru menopuase sehs gone insane getting rid of all cleaners and air freshners that are ""un-natural" and there for "unsafe" shes been swept up in the "all household cleaners are toxic killers" movement im lucky shes even allowed me to keep the melafix in the house but since its got aloe in it i think its been deemed "safe"

The issue you have here is major overstocking. I have an 85Gal and I have 5 goldfish in it. Are all 40fish goldfish??? In that case you will need to get rid of at least half of them. :(

With this amount of fish in such a small (uncycled) tank, the ammonia builds up so fast it is deadly.

It is related to septicemia. But right now, the best thing you can do for the fish is major water changes (like 50% daily atleast) and start thinking about reducing the amount of fish.

40 fish??? no no no i have only got 4 not 40! lol i could only imagine the trouble of owning 40 goldfish haha.

i did a 20 percent change last night and will do a 50 tonight

yup went back up and seen where i acedentally put a 0 after the 4 oh geez no theres only 4 fish

Edited by xchairity_casex

• Supporter

i was in heartattack mode when i read the info too!.. i almost didn't want to read the rest.. phew, thank goodness i did.

now, i would suggest you change the water as regularly as possible. small frequent water changes unfortunately will NOT reduce Nitrates.. you need to be doing 60% water changes each time. for now, seeing as there weren't many waterchanges done for a while, i would recommend daily until your tank is cycled and water parameters under control..

do you have gravel in there? if so, you need to siphon the gravel really well to get all the toxic waste out from it. i have a very thin layer of gravel and just enough to cover some of the bottom of the glass, so you can still see the glass in most areas, even this amount of gravel, i siphon like crazy 2-3 times per week.

i am slightly overstocked so i make 2 large water changes per week and one huge cleaning waterchange on the weekend.