The New Tank Is Set Up And Running!

The tank is now set up and running :D Video will follow tomorrow, I'm waiting for daylight for better video quality.

It looks really nice, but needs more plants, and Steven agrees.

The gouramis love the planted area on the left side of the tank. The angelfish and my pleco are a bit freaked out; Sucky Fishie has been hiding in her cave ever since moving in, and Laura stays in the area without light. We are using the hood of the 20g to cover the left side of the tank, which is where almost all the plants are.

We'll buy another hood like this after Christmas to cover the other side of the tank.

I have three small filters running in there right now until we can replace the two smallest ones with a bigger filter. Right now the tank has 270gph, after adding the large filter it will be 440gph. Added the tall cave from the 20g, and the smaller cave from the goldfish tank, as well as all the river rocks that were in the goldfish tank to provide the two plecos a bit of algae for now. Algae wafer will follow after lights out.

The rubberlip pleco named "Spot" seems to like my common pleco. Instead of going into "his" big cave he sits in the doorway of Sucky Fishie's small cave while she is inside up on the ceiling.

The snails both either like it or don't care. Behave as always, except that Lulu found that her new favorite spot is on the front of the in-tank filter, right underneath the water outlet.

The platies swim around like crazy and seem very happy. They are really busy exploring. Oh and the gouramis were acting a bit funny though, swimming in a circle around each other, kind of. Not aggressively. Looked like they were dancing. :)

My goldfish tank looks so plain and boring now :huh: Except for the bubble wall and the two bubble stones in the corners, there is nothing in there. Well, the fish of course. But minus the pleco and the snails. The goldis couldn't care less. I want to get a shallow glass bowl filled with white and blue glass pebbles as centerpiece decoration, matching the whole winter theme thing. Maybe eventually some java ferns for the back corners. I like the bubble wand, but the light green color kind of... I don't know. I wish those things came in black.

It sounds awesome - bet it looks fantastic!!! :nana Which one is Laura?

I cant wait to see pics/vid - I know your photo camera isnt working these days, but does your video camera take snap shots?

How dare you post this without a video/pics ready! Keeping me in suspense...the nerve :P

Did you ever put in a brace? I never read about it. Anyway, I bet everyone will be SUPER happy once they get used to the new tank. Congrats!

ashele: yes, Steven did it like we found many many tutorials online; piece of plexi glass siliconed to the rim where the brace should be, clamped to it for 48 hours. He got a big piece of clear plexi glass, it is about 10 inches wide. We STILL got it clamped to it because we are paranoid :D He also made a temporary wood brace that we got over top of the tank, holding it together from the outside. We'll leave all this on for a while because we want to make sure it holds.

Migaoo, Laura is the angelfish! :) Lulu & Speedy are the snails. The camera does take snap shots but they are of very poor quality, video looks a lot better. This is what I am going to do later.

You really don't need that much filtation with tropical planted tanks. My 29 only runs with a filter for a 10 gallon tank. About 80gph. My 6 gallon only uses an air stone. So uaw that filter money for more plants. Like I have said before you can't have to many plants.

Only need about 4xgph or less on tropical tanks even less with lots and lots of plants.

Can't wait to see the movie and pictures.

Oh, I thought it would be a good idea to have enough filtration because of Miss Uber Poop aka common pleco. I don't have very many plants in there yet either, this will have to wait until after Christmas. I only bought a tall java fern at the LFS yesterday. It has two brown leaves, but on these it already has three baby ferns growing :D

So as of now I got seven amazon swords in there (which aren't very tall yet). I had to do some research on the different anubias I got there too as they were all labeled as the same plant. I got one tall one that seems to be an anubias lanceolata. I really love how that one looks. Then two anubias barteri, one tiny kyoto grass (the only surviver in the goldfish tank, they even ate frickin hard leaved plant. And I know they are not really aquatic but aside from the goldfish disaster they all did well), two wisterias and two bunches of java ferns, as well as three baby javas and one extremely tiny baby java that consists of 1 quarter inch leaf and some roots. So cute!

Got one plastic plant in there because it is pretty, a red and green ludwigia (I think). Just adds that tad of red in there.

EDIT: I am just thinking about adding the small Marineland Neptune 100w heater in there too. I already got an Odyssea 300w heater in there which is supposedly for up to 90g, but I'm not sure if it heats the tank well enough considered the tank is long. I don't know. Just as a support and backup, you know?

Edited by Oerba Yun Fang

Your one heater should be fine. Just make sure you get it as close to the middle as you can?

I still would wait about more filters. Get more plants stay on top of water changs untill you have many more plants. The pleco poop well help your plants and with him being the only real poop machine you should be fine. Net out any floating stuff he leaves but you want to leave the rest to break down into the gravel for your plants. You know become part of the mulm.

Once you have lots of plants you can even do less water changes and maybe remove a couple filters. But that might be a few months down the road. It was at least 6 months before I felt my 29 had enough plants to do less water changes. And it was about three months before I went from my 160 gph to 80 gph.

Some of this you well have to play by eat and may take some time for you to figure out but you really dont need more filteration with plants just more plants.

Gotcha. So no new filter, instead just later on removing the small ones. I might just leave the 20g filter on there, but it only has 100gph. That would be filtration x 2 (or 2.5, considered the tank holds only about 40g right now) Interestingly the 10g in-tank filter has 90gph... the 10g HOB has 80gph. Or maybe we will remove all these filters and have one larger one instead, something that does 200gph or so.

Well, the problem with the heater is that Steven wants it "out of sight". So it is all the way in the left hand corner of the tank, but conveniently this is where the 20g filter is, so I guess that helps distributing the warmer water evenly.

He wants the middle of the back open because he is going to add a self made background. As said in another thread, he is a big Goonies fan and this is going to be his Goonies themed tank. He found this picture and made it big enough to be a background for the tank. He wants the area with the ship visible. The way our tank is set up right now it will kind of look like the ship is coming out from behind the tall cave/planted area. fishtankbgcopy.jpg?t=1291733681

How does he plan to make that background? Cause I love that picture. lol Would look great on one of my 10 gallon. Kind of do want an area not to full of plants but not in the middle. Looks better if it is a little off center and from looks of that picture does need to be off to the left some and you can still hide the fitler in the middle with some plants. (is it submerable? you can put it down close the the bottom on its side and hide it very easy that way.)

You can check the temp in the tank with a meat gauge from your kicthen to see how much change there is, just a couple degrees wont hurt but if more then that you well need to move the heater or try out the second heater.

Even with my big canster on my goldfish tank if I dont have my heater in the middle one side is like 4 degrees less then the other side.

I am not sure yet how he will do it. I think he wants to get high quality paper and print it himself and then tape it all together. I just hope he laminates it or something lol The original file is something between 3000 and 4000 pixels wide, so I think it will be big enough.

I will test the water but I guess I'll get a new thermometer for that, and if needed use the second heater.

You want the full size image file?