Saki-Hikari Fancy Goldfish Color Enhancing Diet

xwndtkot

Hello all,

This is my second post here. So please forgive me if this topic was discussed before.

After reading and researching for fish food, I really want to get some Saki Hikari fancy goldfish color enchancing diet for my red cap and gold-black oranda. I finally got the pupple bag for the LFS. And I fed the little guys some on Saturday night.

Then, I kept feeding them on Sunday morning... til later that day (yesterday), I found that my red cap developed.... more into Gold/yellow face..... his head is kinda Gold/yellow color..... and toward the end of his fish body (before his tail), is very gold/yellowish color.

I feel that the gold-black oranda also show more gold on him.

But is that normal for red cap.. who supposed to have white/sliver body to show so much gold/yellow on his head?

I started to think... maybe his is not a red cap. his wen has not developed at all... compare to the gold-black (already have a little wen on his little head).

My main worry is... is it normal for a red cap to change into gold/yellow color with Saki-Hikari fancy goldfish color enhancing diet?

anyone has exp. like that????

Thanks in advance.

XOXO

X

Yes that's the only downfall with color enhancing foods. I took my red and white ranchu off of it as her head began to turn yellow and there was blending between the white and dark orange markings. Now she's got a light orange starting to color her. I do not like that at all. I've since switched her to Omega one and shrimp pellets, and non-color enhancing foods should help reverse the color change.

Ah, Thank you for your reply. So I am not crazy then.

I was worried since his whole face/head turns gold/yellow... I was afraid that he is sick or sth....

Well, I always avoid the color enhancing food. I actually did not know it's color enhancing til later (I just fed them and then read the package...)

Well, the only reason I got that food cos everybody raving about that and said how great it is for their goldfish...

So, I think I just stop them and continue the gel food that they like.

But man that package cost me $20...and they only had 4 meals out from it....

Thank you~~~~

Wow! It works really fast, if you noticed a change in only 4 meals. Sorry it didn't work out and I hope the color you like comes back quickly.

Too bad those are your only two fish. If you had an all red or orange fish the color enhancement would be amazing.

I am feeding this to all my goldfish, but so far I haven't noticed any significant NEGATIVE change. I noticed some slight smudging going on with Vanille, but she already had some when I got her. So I am not even sure if this is the food or her natural color.

All the orange-ish colored fish have some improvement in the depth of the color, but Banana is still dark yellow. So she didn't turn orange yet.

The only thing that makes me wonder is that Hikari states the following on their website:

Rich in highly purified Astaxanthin (a carotenoid) and pure-cultured spirulina, offering lab verified, vivid color-enhancement of the reds without negatively impacting the whites.

Of course, it is a company and we all know how they are. But I think it is a bad-luck-thing. I googled this food and find a lot of people saying it did not affect their fish, some people say it did. I would like to keep Vanille red and white, so I am keeping a close eye on her color smudging.

Hello,

Yes, the color effect/changed was way too fast.....

And Yes, I read the package over and over and it did say "not affect the sliver body." And yes, I am rather upset about it. :(

my red cap has a gold/yellow head.... :(

It's been more than a week since I stopped giving them the food. I still haven't seen much changed on my red cap....

Now, they only eat my gel foods which they LOVEEEEEE.

And hopefully, in a near future..... his head will be less yellow/gold.... :(

sighs.......

But the good news is.... they are still healthy looking and happy fish. :)

Edited by xeno

Don't worry I'm having the same problem too. It really irked me, I'm about to go throw it out. My red and white ranchu now has a yellow head. Feeding regular foods should help. I know a couple of people recommend the green bag growth formula saki hikari off of Paul's website (Ranchu Maniax). Feeding non color enhancing foods should help. From now on I steer clear from those things. They always mess up our fish somehow LOL

xeno, it will probably take many weeks until the color is gone. It is kind of like with gaining weight. The body always quickly adds something, but it takes a good while until the body then gets rid of it.

I will watch Vanille closely now, to see if her white is turning yellow.

I never had such effects with the pink bag one. wow it happened fast for you! I just started the green pack one (like Tay mentioned) a few days ago. I have lots of red/orange fish and I love how it keeps their colors bright. But I also have some white based fish, so I am planning to feed a bit of both.

so I am not the only one. But funny enough, I did not find anyone has that problem. and if I had known, I would not spend $20 dollars on that . :(

I really was just trying to give them various food to keep them healthy. But I ended up with a gold/yellow fish head :P hahaha sighs

but again, I am starting thinking... my Red Bean (Red Cap) is not really a red cap since he has no Wen at all. I mean he is still a baby, but Kuma already has a little wen on him. Red bean has nothing whatsoever.

so please pay attention to your goldies and see if any changes..... but again, I could be the crazy one. ha ha ha

Were Red Bean and Kuma bought from the same source? Sometimes fish have bade genes for wen. My ranchu Zelda I've had for 7 months and she's got no wen growth at all, but I have another one named Ming Chao who's the same size and has nice wen growth for her age. I give up on Zelda :rofl But bloodworms are excellent protein for wen growth and you will notice a difference if you feed them bloodworms a couple of times daily. (Frozen bloodworms). Wheat germ is good for fattening them up too. (You can make the hikari wheat germ pellets sink by soaking them for 30 seconds or so and then squeezing them).

Edited by Haruka

Maybe. I noticed a orange-y spot developing on Vanille. Not huge, bot obvious. It developed right along the edge of the deep round body of the fish, and is kind of half moon shaped. But the rest of the white is not effected at all so I wonder if it is just regular color change and has nothing to do with the color enhancing food.

Some fish are more apt to be affected. Ming Chao hasn't changed at all. But Zelda still gets a spanking because before I fed it to her she was perfectly white with a clear distinction between the color like in my signature.