Eyes Not Symmetrical

Capt Dave

I have a juvenile black moor that has one of his eyes bigger than the other. He swims and eats fine and shows no other symptoms of anything else. He is in a 30 gallon long with 2 juvenile loinheads. Ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate less than 20. WC 50% every week sometimes twice a week. Feed variety of sinking pellets (hikari, pro gold,) pre soaked flakes, and peas once a week.pH is steady 7.4, 2dkH, 5dgH, temp 70F. no meds or new additions. filter is aquaclear 70(300 gph) with carbon removed and extra biomedia and a little crushed coral

Edited by Capt Dave

The eyes not being symmetrical is not a problem. In a true show-quality telescope eye, the eyes should be perfectly symmetrical, but many fish have one eye slightly larger than the other. It's just a genetic flaw, not anything to worry about health-wise. If the fish is very young, it's likely that they eyes might even out in size as he grows. :)

thanks i kinda figured that as there is not much of a difference but i notice it(because i stare at the fish alot hehe). I dont think he is winning any shows because he not perfect. Are the round bodies supposed to have one or two anal fins? I think 2 he only got one :o

Yeah, the round-bodied double-tailed fish should have two anal fins. Having a single anal is a very common flaw though. I have a panda moor and a black moor who only have single anal fins too, and they were sold as "show quality". So it's very common, and can sometimes be overlooked if the fish is otherwise perfect.

I stare at my fish a lot too! What's the point in having them if you're not going to appreciate them, right? :D