Water Hardness And Floaty Fish

I have never heard of that relationship,let's see if someone else chimes in. The def relationship I do know is that high nitrates can cause floatinessbingo.gifBTW,welcometo.jpg Also,what are you feeding?

i feed sinking pellets from hikari (lionhead and saki fancy) ,presoaked homemade flakes and peas. I have really soft water where i live and i add seachem replenish to all of my tanks at half the recommended doseage. Maybe i am just imagineing it but when i started doin this in the fancy tank they seemed a bit more floaty.

I had systemic problems with my goldfish in very very high Kh/pH situations, but it was a long process (took three and a half years to culminate) and was due to extreme ranges (over 28 drops in Kh and over 9.0 pH).

So, yes, it is theoretically possible for high Kh and pH to have an effect on goldfish, because you have seen such fast results (and the fact that I seriously doubt your water is in as an extreme range as mine was) I don't think this is what's happening with your fish.

What are the ingredients in the chemical you are putting in your tank? If it were me, I would stop using it and go with either Buff-It-Up from goldfish connection or use crushed coral (or both!). But then again I don't like adding any chemicals to my water.

EDIT: I just looked up the ingredients...I wouldn't continue to use this. I have a problem with adding any form of potassium or magnesium to my tank without checking the levels constantly (which is why I only use potassium permanganate to disinfect when all my fish are OUT of the tank) and adding an extra form of unmonitored table salt (NaCl) doesn't sound to be safe either.

I would go with one of the products I mentioned above. :)

i was considering using buff it up but i do have luck with the replenish in my other tanks. What would the negative effect be on the goldfish with the ingredients that are in replenish?