Heaters

ashv20

So it's pretty hot here, and I'm sure the tank water is rising, which isn't good for goldfish.

This may be a stupid question, but is it possible to purchase a heater that you can set to cool down the water?

The average water temp now in the main tank is about 78-79f.

Thanks guys.

No there's no heater you can use to lower tank temperature. Have you tried icecubes in the tank or a frozen bottle of water? You can also blow a fan across the top of the tank.

Edited by Haruka

You might also consider a larger tank, as the more water you have, the more heat energy it will take to raise the water tempurature. Otherwise, I'm liking the frozen bottle of water idea, a lot.

They do sell aquarium chillers, but they are VERY expensive.

I think goldfish can easily adapt to higher temperatures, as long as these are relatively constant. One of the main problems with warmer water is that it contains less dissolved oxygen than colder water. This means less oxygen not only for your fish, but also for the beneficial bacteria! You can balance this out by adding some extra bubble wand or air stones.

I live in South Carolina with no air condition. This summer there were many weeks where the average room temperature was around 90 degree, so you can imagine the water temperature in the tank was quite high too.

Ice doesn't do much though, especially in large tanks. The amount of ice needed to cool the tank is big, and to keep it at a constant cooler temperature you'd have to be adding ice every hour because it melts so fast.

So my advice from personal experience: Keep as much of the lid open as possible for air exchange. Make sure you keep an eye on the water level though because of evaporation! Add a big bubble wall and some bubble stones or disk or whichever. Or all of them. If you have a little portable fan, try to have blow air at the water surface, this will cool the water off some too.

Keep the tank lights off unless they are very energy efficient and don't warm up the water.