Confused On What Filter Is Best

I'm planning on getting my 65 gallon tank in the next few days. I'm trying to figure out what filter would be best to house my goldies. I was thinking about the "Marineland Penguin Bio Wheel filter" but I'm not sure what filters are the best. I keep reading up on them, but it confuses me.

• Admin

On my 50 gal tank i have one "Penguin Bio Wheel filter" and the "Marineland Filtration Emperor" both made by the same company one is just bigger and has a spay bar going on the bio wheels. i personally love them and never had a problem with them. I have one thats been running for years and the motor has gotten noisy. i just need to replace it :)

I like Aquaclear filters. I have two 70's and two 110's and they work great. They are totally silent and have tons of room for whatever media you want to use.

Oh P.S. I don't think there is one absolute best type of filter. There are a few good ones to choose from, it just comes down to personal preference really. :)

Edited by Sakura

I love my Marineland Biowheel 400. It is big enough for lots of media but is easier to tend to then any canister I have owned. They are quite and never give me any problems.

Myself, I like the AquaClear filters. They run strong and filter well, and I just like everything about them. I have 3 AC 110's, 2 AC 70's, and an AC 50. That's what I would recommend but as you can see everyone has their own personal preferences. It's your choice but any of the filters that everyone has mentioned so far would be an excellent choice. ;)

oh god here we go again. haha i had a very similar thread. but for a 55 gallon. though i will say, aquaclear is great, biowheels are great and so are the tetra whisper series. Though from much discussion, when cleaning or moving cartridges and you may get all the gunk in your tank. the biowheel eliminated that issue. though on noise, people said whisper. on price, aquaclear.

all great in the end. you cant go wrong.

I'm running a Fluval 405 on my 70G. It holds about 2-1/2 gallons of water and I have about 3lbs of ceramic biomax cylinders in it......plus there's still room for micro polishing pads, nitrate absorber and ceramic prefilter cylinders, and about a square foot of sponge filtration. At 340gph, it keeps up with my 3 large single tails. I have it exiting through a spray bar that I configured to be almost the entire width of the tank. It's dead silent.

sounds like that i am one of the few tetra whisper owners that actually have it working 100 percent. and all the other ones go kaput! D: and this fluval 405 seems great, but its not cheap . just checked it out. 250 ! which is a bit much for me. i at least already have a filter, so i could just add in one more. but for you, if i am not mistaken, its a completely new set up. so i guess you could consider it. though if its too much, the biowheel seems great!

I started out with Aqueon filters, they never gave me a problem when I had them, but I have heard that the intake tubes can start falling off over time. I now have 4X AC110, 1 AC50, 2X FX5,and 1 305, they all work great! :) I have heard that some people have had problems with the Fluval 05 series leaking, but feel that most problems from canisters could be avoided with proper installation, O-ring maintenance and O-ring replacement when needed. I only reuse my canister O-ring once before I replace, $4 every 2 months is worth it to me.

I have heard that Marinelands are great, anything Tetra and Penn-Plax I personally stay away from.