What Happened To Marmalade?

Hi everyone I have marmalade a female fish she was very floaty the past few days so then I found out Marmalade had Swim Baldder disorder today. I now moved her to a hospital tank and when i first put her in she only floated on one side, which I found weird. Now an hour later she is still floaty but not on her side she is just straight up i think she probably is healing I wont feed her for the next 4 days. And then find out how she looks and swims. for a little more help I would like a response for different tretments to try.

One thing that works for many fish is to watch what you feed her. Soakes, sinking pellets as staple food. Once a week a fasting day, followed by a day where all the fish gets is cooked, shelled, squished peas. This clears out their digestive tract and so helps preventing getting bloated and floaty.

yeah you are right but there is another prblem half of Marmalades tail has come off just a little because she got stuck under the bottom of the filter a few days ago. And the side she was floting on was the side where she got stuck. And from there he tail got ruined and she had littl shreds on her tail and the next day i guess she shedded it. So now she has half a tail.

No she does not feel squishy and then her scales are not sticking out, she moves around but the most part her fins are limp and she sleeps most of the time. She is also in a hospital tank. And also does she have swimbladder issues and a sickness because i want to make her better as much as I can. :ill:please

Edited by yamilovemyfishes

Hi everyone I have Marmalade my 2nd fish, yesterday i found out she had swimbladder issues and I put her in a hospital tank and treated her with meds and made sure the water and no nitrites or ammonia, she has been floaty and sleeping alot. Whenever i pick the tank up she starts to move around and when i set it back down she stays floating in one corner and sleeps. I need to mention a few days ago she got stuck under the filter which now as I look at her, her left side is puffy. She is not bloated and does not have scales sticking out. Does she have another sickness I should treat for? Just help me! :(

The tank is small enough that you can pick it up? She should be in at least a 10 gallon tank, and I wouldn't think you could pick up a full 10 gallon tank! What size is the hospital tank? Does it have a filter on it? Is the filter full of cycled media from your main tank? What meds did you use? How often/how much is she eating, and what are you feeding her? How do her poos look? Can you test the parameters (pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate) with a drop test kit and write them down for us? Make sure you have an air stone in the hospital tank. Please answer these questions and all questions from this form below so we can get an idea of what's going on!

[*]Test Results for the Following:

[*]Ammonia Level?

[*]Nitrite Level?

[*]Nitrate level?

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?

[*]Water temperature?

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)?

[*]How often do you change the water and how much?

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size?

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners?

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often?

[*]Any new fish added to the tank?

[*]Any medications added to the tank?

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

Maybe a mod can move this thread to the D&D section so it gets more attention?

Edited by Sakura

no I mistakenly meant to say I actually swish around the water then she swims around the hospital tank is 10 gallons no filter im afraid she might get stuck again yes the filter is full of cycled media in the main tank. i used nutrafin cycle and nutrafin meds. i am not feeding her i am going to fast her for 2 days then feed her nothing but skimmed peas. So since she is`nt eating she is`nt pooing.ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 0. Water tempature 78 F no scratches, but when she got stuck under the filter she did damage her tail hlaf of it. Then her tail turned into little streaks then she shedded it so I have put salt in the water. snd how do I move the topic?

Edited by yamilovemyfishes

• Admin

Not necessarily die from it, but they can get stuck in that position and feel uncomfortably. i had a fish years ago get it so bad that he in a since gave up on me, he would swim stopped eating and the look in his eyes, you could tell he didnt care anymore, so i had to put him down....

Try fasting feeding peas and make sure the nitrates are below 20 :)

I merged your topics to avoid confussion. I also moved to the right forum. Please answer the list of questions at the top so people can better help you.

no I mistakenly meant to say I actually swish around the water then she swims around the hospital tank is 10 gallons no filter im afraid she might get stuck again yes the filter is full of cycled media in the main tank. i used nutrafin cycle and nutrafin meds. i am not feeding her i am going to fast her for 2 days then feed her nothing but skimmed peas. So since she is`nt eating she is`nt pooing.ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 0. Water tempature 78 F no scratches, but when she got stuck under the filter she did damage her tail hlaf of it. Then her tail turned into little streaks then she shedded it so I have put salt in the water. snd how do I move the topic?

I meant for a moderator or helper to move it, they're the only ones who can.

You will absolutely need to have a filter on the hospital tank, otherwise the ammonia will climb and kill and/or stress the fish. What you can do is wrap a clean filter sponge or piece of filter floss around the intake of the filter on the hospital tank. I actually have done this for my fish, Padme who is in QT right now because she got stuck on the filter intake. It works really well. Make sure you take cycled media from the main tank (but not all of it) for the filter on her hospital tank.

So the meds were nutrafin, but do you know what it says it treats on the package? Do you know what the ingredients are? Why did you choose this med? You aren't using it anymore right? Most likely it's a bad idea, meds probably aren't necessary in this case.

So the issues are floatiness, and then shredded tail from getting stuck on the filter right? Also, one side seems larger than the other? Are you sure there are no scales sticking up anywhere? Any chance you can get a photo of the fish from the side and from the top?