Some Sort Of Cut Or Wound.

nicoleclaire

I'm sorry i'm not going to give much information here, i don't have a water testing kit and i don't know the answer to most of the questions i'm supposed to provide.

Basically, I noticed this morning that some of Sammy's scales appear to be bleeding, it does seem to be irritating him as he darts around the tank and twitches every now and then but apart from that he's still swimming normally and eating. So far i've done a water changed cleaned the tank a bit, i really don't know what to do next, i was thinking about putting salt in the tank? but is it alright to do that? or should i put salt in a bucket and add him to it, if possible i'd much rather do the former as he's quite big now and i haven't moved him from the tank in about five years and i don't know what to move him with i haven't got any nets or anything. The only medicine i have is Methylene Blue and Fungus and fin rot control, i won't be able to get any more for quite a while, any suggestions on what i should do? If i should put salt in the tank how much do i put in? and do i just add it straight to the tank or dissolve it in water? and if it won't dissolve is it going to be okay just sitting in the tank without me removing it, or are water changes going to get rid of it eventually? There's no gravel, sand or rocks in the tank only plastic plants and ornaments, i used to have two other goldfish in the tank with him but both died within a few months of each other a little while ago, one from a wound a bit like sammy's but much bigger (i never found out where that came from so i think maybe it may have been an ulcer?), and the other from white spot, quarantined them both whilst they were ill and the last one died a couple of weeks ago so there's no chance of sammy catching that i wouldn't of thought, the tank has been set up for about four years but i've had him about eleven. I would really love help with this ASAP as my last fish who had a wound was dead within a few hours and it all happened very fast. I'm really quite clueless as to what to do, thanks.

Here's a picture of the wound. it looks worse in reality that what it does here but i couldn't manage to get a better picture, sorry you can't really see it properly.

sam.jpg

Until you can provide the info asked for at the top only advice I can give is do a huge water change. 76% at least. Keep doing daily water changes. Really really need to get yourself a test kit this could be a result of bad water.

Even without the test info you can still copy paste what is up there and answer the rest of the questions.

Also many pet shops well test your water so you can do that every day until you get the tank back right.

It is kinda blurry, but kinda looks like a scrape.

There are a few basic questions you can still answer without a test kit:

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)?

[*]How often do you change the water and how much?

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size?

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners?

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often?

[*]Any new fish added to the tank?

[*]Any medications added to the tank?

All this may sound unimportant but often things like this ARE related to the answers we get from this form :)

So please try to give us the needed information so we can figure out easier what is going on with your fish! :)

okay thankyou, i've given him a water change already and i'll continue to do one very day until he gets better then. I'll get a water testing kit when i can, i haven't really thought about it before because he's only been ill a couple of times about eight years ago and it was easily treatable.

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 31 gallons, about four years approximately

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)? Fluval 4plus

[*]How often do you change the water and how much? about 25% every couple of weeks

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size? one fish, sammy is a comet about 5 inches long not including tail

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? Tetra Aquasafe

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often? Aquarian goldfish flakes every day

[*]Any new fish added to the tank? no

[*]Any medications added to the tank? no

Edited by nicoleclaire

Ok first thing I see is not enough water changes. Even when fish are not sick they need weekly water changes. I do like 30% every other and 50 to 75 percent on the other weeks.

Also be sure you soak your flake foods and supplement with other foods. Like peas, gel food, bloodworm ext.... Flake foods don't provide all the things our goldfish need.

Try to take some water to the pet shop to be tested and get the test kit ASAP.

okay thanks, i'll start doing more frequent water changes, i do feed him peas too but only every few days. I really won't be able to take any water to a pet shop to get tested any time soon, i'm still in school and there's no way i can get there during the week, i may be able to go next Saturday at the earliest, but even then i wont be able to buy a kit because i don't have the money at the moment, if i do water changes every day will this sort the water levels out? i'll get a kit as soon as possible but it wont be within the next few days :( So the time time being is there anything you recommend i do? do you think salt would help? thanks

No way of knowing for sure without that kit. I would start doing odd jobs whatever it takes to get a test kit. Ask your parrents if there are some things you can do to earn some extra money and tell them why.

With Christmas around the corner I am sure there is some extra work around the house you can do to make money. Maybe you neighbors need something done you can help with.

Without a test kit there is no way of knowing what is going on with the water. Also feed other things and look for a sinking pellet food to change to. Flakes are just not very good for goldfish.

i'll ask about a kit, i don't think i'll be able to get one but i might be able to persuade them to get be some strips which seem to be alot cheaper, they might make do for a while, if not i'll definitely have some money by next monday but that is quite a while away, i'll just have to hope it's just a scratch until then and keep doing water changes. I've tried over the years different types of food, i have some pellets but he won't eat anything but the flakes and peas.

LOL well keep offereing them and a goldfish well be fine a few days not eating. Try different kinds of pellets too. Flake food even soaked so it wont float is just not a good main diet.

The test strips are honestly a waste of money, even the more expensive ones. I never knew that they were giving me false readings and I started adding pH up chemicals to the tank until I got the drop test kit and found out that my pH is perfectly fine :doh11:

But other than that, keep up with the water changes. Salting the tank won't hurt either to support the healing process. 1 level teaspoon for every 4 liter of water. Dissolve the salt first, it should and will completely dissolve, then add it to the tank. When you pour it in it will look like a sparkly cloud at first but especially with the filter causing some current in the tank it will distribute evenly very quickly.

Just make sure that after every water change you also replace the salt! So if you change 40 liter of water, you will have to re add 10 teaspoons of salt.

Also, do not use regular table salt or iodized salt, since they have additives like anti caking agents in them. They are dangerous for the fish! Always use only pure salt, which you can either get at the petstore as aquarium salt, or at the grocery store. Just look at the list of ingredients, SALT should be the only one!

Alright! Let us know how it is going, if anything changes. The salt might sting him a bit in the wound, but that means it works. In any case I would remove the ornament so he can't get hurt on it again and it gives him more room to swim :)