Different Poop!

Katie

Hello. I've been monitoring my Ranchus closely and I've noticed the littlest one (The calico) was doing the strangest looking poop it was the colour of the brine shrimp I fed them thismorning but it was long and looked to be connected in one spot in the middle by a very thin hairlike piece then continued for a bit more all the way to the fish, then right at the end it was kind of curly? Is this really bad? He/She seems fine and I fed them peas a couple of days ago I'm just worried because I haven't seen a poop like that before as yet.

I feed them on;

Frozen Bloodworms

Frozen Brine Shrimp

Nutrafin Max - Goldfish sinking pellets, which I soak for 5 minutes in tank water to soften. Not sure if that's long enough or even if this brand is well known or any good? :S

Shelled peas once or twice a week.

*EDIT* I don't feed them all of this at once or in one day I swap around over the week in 2-3 meals a day with either pellets and shrimp, pellets and B.Worms, peas one day etc.

I also notice two of the others doing an ordinary darker coloured reaaallly long poos that aren't stringy or broken looking but one thickness the whole way just really long!

I was under the impression that Goldies were supposed to do poos only a few cm's then cut off? Or did I make that up?

I hope I am not doing anything terribly wrong and it is just me over reacting and watching poop too much.

Thanks for reading feedback greatly appreciated! :)

Edited by Satchi

That might be it! I am trying not to feed them too much but don't want to underfeed them I'll cut their quantity down a little bit see what happens as I am feeding them quite a bit because they are babies.

(I had a slight suspicion it might be this :S)!

Just read the link! I think it is DEFINANTLY over feeding! I feel so guilty! I will not feed them for a few days then maybe give them peas, does this sound ok?

It's pretty difficult to starve a goldfish, Satchi. Always remember it's BETTER to UNDERFEED than it is to overfeed. Feed them sparingly and only what they can clean up in 1-2 minutes. You'll avoid a bunch of problems by doing so. ;)

Thanks koko and blackteles, I will keep this in mind and stick to my plan of a few days of no food and then peas!

I am learning but I don't want my fish to suffer from it thats where this forum comes in handy!

Lol Satchi being a poop observer. You really care about your fishies ;)

I do Dawn thanks :) Whilst I'm at work If we have a lull in customers I find myself thinking about them it'd be great If I could call them and check their ok....maybe thats a little crazy. I love coming home to see my Husband and my little fishies. Just have to make sure I hug him first not the tank! ;)

Edited by Satchi

If only we had stretchable arms to go around the tanks... LOL that would be a bit scary though XD