A Chronicle Of Carassius

Calluna

I have never written a blog before so here it goes :)

I've read other people's blogs and most start by saying how it all started out with an overstocked tank- my story is not much different. When I was in second grade, I went to the lfs and after nagging my aunt to buy me some fish, she was persuaded and allowed me to pick out a goldfish. I picked out a fantail and named him Goldie- perhaps the most unimaginative name for a goldfish? We got a bowl to put him in and at the last minute we decided to get another goldfish, a lionhead this time. I named her Annie, after the character from "the magic treehouse" series, which were my favorite books at the time. When we got home, I did everything the worst way possible- filling the bowl with untreated tap water, pouring the two fish in with the water in the bags, and feeding them way too many flakes.

About a week later, I read a kids' book at the library about how to take care of fish, so I learned they needed dechlorinated water, a tank and a filter. We bought a 10 gallon tank, some gravel and some rocks and moved the fish there. We also started feeding them sinking wafers rather than flakes and did monthly water changes. For several years, Annie and Goldie grew from 1 inch fish to 6-7 inch fish. Over the course of years, we alternated them between tanks when they leaked. Strangely enough, they leaked almost regularly on Thanksgiving day for several years. While vacuuming the tank, I accidentally siphoned up poor Goldie :krazy: I panicked for a bit, but he escaped relatively unharmed.

--that's all for now, I'll continue writing next time. I don't have pictures, sadly, of either of them and they have passed away now.

Oerba, that's certainly true- without that book, surely the fish would have died with in a few months or weeks.

We did move the fish into different tanks, anywhere from 20 to 40 gallons because they kept leaking. It was the wonderful and knowledgeable owner of my local pet store that told me that goldfish need 10 gallons each :D Any and all attempts to add plants failed miserably when they were either devoured by the goldfish or melted away on their own. Several times, I used the wrong side of the food container, which was just an open top rather than a perforated one. At least a full cup of food fell into the tank, and the goldfish attacked it! I let them eat to their heart's content for a minute, but then I removed the excess food. It was fun watching them go crazy like that, but I'm glad it didn't hurt them.

Sadly, Goldie became ill in the spring of 2006. He had a black patch on his side and lay on his side in the tank. I put him in a bucket to administer medicine and salt, per instruction of the lps owner. For several days, I thought he might recover, but he died :cry1

Annie lived alone in the tank for a almost a year. We bought a new fish from said lps. We intended to buy a feeder fish, but he turned out to be a fantail! We named him Bobby, and what a tiny fish he was! Probably an inch or less. We didn't quarantine him before adding him to the tank, but at least we learned not to mix the tank water from the store into our own water, and to acclimate him to the temp in the tank by floating the bag. He must have been stressed, because he nipped Annie's fins a bit during the night after we got him. Fortunately though, he stopped doing that and they were friends afterwards, always swimming around in the tank together!

--next time, I will write about our move to a new house- with the fish! :blink:

Thanks Texana! :D

Anyway, when we moved to a new house, I had had Annie for 6 years and Bobby for a few months. Since the new house was very close by, we moved the tank first and got it running and then we got the fish in a 2 gallon plastic bucket to transport. Being the clumsy person that I was though, I just HAD to grab the bucket by the handle rather than the base. The plastic snapped and poor fish gushed out of the bucket onto the burning hot concrete! The sun was so hot it was painful to walk on the ground barefoot, so I cannot imagine how it felt to the poor fish :blink:

I grabbed them and put them back into the bucket, but that was all the tank water we had left and I already took all the supplies (including conditioner) with the stand for the tank to the new house. So the poor fish went into tap water for their journey to the new house- well, at least it's better than air, right? :doh11:

No doubt it was quite a terrible experience for them, but the fish didn't seem visibly injured.

Sadly, three years later Annie got dropsy. When I noticed the pineconing of the scales, I looked it up online and learned that it was probably dropsy and that it was incurable. It took her in a bucket to the LFS (same one as earlier) and the owner gave me some medicine gel that I tried to give Annie. It did seem to work for a few days but in the end all it did was delay her death because she died several days later. I remember the night before she died she was lying on the tank floor, unable to move and gasping for breath...Seeing her in such a sad state made me so sad I cried the whole night :cry1 I was almost relieved when she died, mashallah she did not suffer anymore.

I don't know if fish have emotions, but if they do Bobby must have been sad or scared, because after Annie's death he wasn't as active anymore. He just hid in the corner until we gave him food, and even then he wasn't as voracious as he used to be. If a piece of food fell into the gravel, he wouldn't search for it, just give up.

It's been about a year and half since Annie died. Bobby is still alone in the 29 gallon and he has been more active and has a lot more color since I added plants to his tank.

Speaking of that, next time- progress from plastic to planted tank!

(phew! that's a lot!)

This picture was taken a few months ago.

With anacharis added:

Photoon2010-10-23at20172.jpg

Rearranged the rocks, added more anacharis, and added a black background (sorry, the picture cuts off some of the right side and is blurry but it was using webcam):

Photoon2010-11-26at2130.jpg

I will add more later!

(I tried to edit the last post to include the pictures so it wasn't a double post, but apparently I don't have permission to...)

I'm finally caught up with updates!

This is the tank as of today. I added the moneywort, corkscrew vals and driftwood about two weeks ago. I removed the plastic plants about a month ago. I think Bobby likes his new environment- he seems much more active than when he was in the "plastic" tank. The only thing that bothers me about the tank now is that the anacharis in the back is always pushed over by the current, like a hurricane wind! The last thing I will add to the tank for now is Java fern. I have it in a container for a week to catch any snails before they go into the tank.

IMG_0095.jpg

Edited by Calluna

Unfortunately the moneywort isn't looking too good...it seemed fine up until a few days ago and now it's losing a lot of leaves. Perhaps my tank doesn't have enough light. Oh well, if it dies I'll just replace it with anacharis. At least the vals seem to be growing fine.

Removed moneywort as it has been shedding leaves all over. I'm not going to do ferts or extra lighting- what lives stays, what doesn't goes. The vals seem to have gotten over their initial "sad" phase and are growing new leaves. I'm going to add some java ferns tonight to the driftwood.

I still need to get another fish for this tank. The single tail vs fancy question keeps bugging me, though. There are plenty people who can keep both in a tank together, but I keep hearing that the single tail will hurt the fancy? I don't think any amount of advice regarding this topic will answer my question, lol.

Should I get a new fish before I upgrade my 30gal, or should I wait? I don't even know when I can afford a new tank, but I sure don't want to overcrowd this one.

That's a good point Haruka...it's just that I really have no idea when or even if I will upgrade my tank. It may be years- I am very busy with school for now and definitely not in a good financial situation to spend $500+ on a tank/stand. (Hey, if I'm going to upgrade, I might as well take it all the way!) Of course, the last thing I want to do is hurt my fish...I know I should just stop thinking about it and NOT DO IT. ;)

I checked out some 125 gallon tanks a few days ago at petsm@rt- they are almost 1700USD :blink:

A video of Bobby in his planted tank: http://s515.photobucket.com/albums/t354/Hapagirl_album/?action=view&current=Movieon2010-12-24at2018.mp4

I had to move the vals from their corner so they would get more light. Bobby keeps attacking the anacharis at the tips so they don't grow anymore- bad fish! Well, there are about 7-8 baby vals and anacharis that have grown, but they aren't visible in the video since they are so short. Oh well, maybe in a few months the plants will have filled in.

eta: sorry for the poor quality, it is a webcam. I'll have to get around to borrowing a camera for these.

Edited by Calluna

1700 USD for the 125g tank at Pet$mart? oO Is it the long tank? Does it come with filters, lights etc?

My Pet$mart sells the 125 long without filters and lights but with stand for about 700 or 750. Even if you buy the hood/lights and filters extra it shouldn't come to 1700!

Sorry I can't get the link, but if you look up "125 gallon tank" on google shopping, the petsm@rt link will be the first one that appears, listed as 1,699 USD

Edited by Calluna

I may search for some tanks again tomorrow at the LFS, Fang...hopefully there will be something not so expensive.

Today at the Christmas party I was talking to my uncle who said he and his wife will be getting a goldfish. So I asked them, they will be using their old 30 gallon right? But he said no it's too big, they want to get a new 1 or 2 gallon tank for their new fish! :krazy: I told them they can have my old 10 gallon that doesn't require a stand and it would be perfect for a single goldfish. Or, a betta would be more suitable for a smaller tank, but still not 1 or 2 gallons. I didn't want to act rudely to them, but the thought of a poor goldfish in a 1-2 gallon tank is so sad :( Inshallah they will not go through with that plan.

Yeah, this always makes me sad too, especially when it is relatives. My brother in law (who lives with us) always gets on my nerves when he implies that I'm wasting my 55g with the goldfish. According to him I should get a shark and feed small fish to them and watch how he tears them up. What an idiot. I know he is not really serious about the shark, that's just his stupid type of humor, but it still gets on my nerves.

10 gallon would still be small for one fish, as you're supposed to have 20gallon minimum for the first fish, no matter if fancy or single tail, but it sure would be better than 1 or 2 gallons.

A betta would be awesome in the 10 gallon, or a few guppies. We have a 10 gallon betta tank and you gotta see how happy he is with all that room for himself!

Anyway, I hope you find the right tank for you. I personally prefer the ones without the big canopy. I don't really like how they look, and they're more expensive. I like the ones like the one I showed you. Cheaper, and less bulky looking, and easier access from the top.

Thanks Fang...

I won't logging in to Koko's for at least a few weeks :( Unfortunately my family has been having some issues with the internet service and we won't have a new plan for a little while.

Inshallah the internet will be back quickly (I miss it already!)

See you guys soon!

I won't logging in to Koko's for at least a few weeks :( Unfortunately my family has been having some issues with the internet service and we won't have a new plan for a little while.

Inshallah the internet will be back quickly (I miss it already!)

Don't despair, your local public library should have internet access! :)

Well, the internet is back sooner than expected. Yay! :)

But better news: I have a new tank! It's a 55 gallon! So, it's not as huge as I was wishing (125 gallons), but it's within my budget, barely. I picked it up from the local p*tco because of their $1/gallon sale. It's not set up yet, though. I'm going to assemble the stand this weekend hopefully, and test the tank for leaks. It's twice the length of my old tank (4 feet) so I'm sure the fish will have plenty of swimming space.

The best news: OMG, I have bought a new fish! :newfish:D:heart It's a lionhead or ranchu (not sure...he's still quite young, so not much of a wen or anything. A bit of a tail tuck, but not much). I got him from the lfs, and they are awesome! They ere nice enough to quarantine him for me and they are very good with fish. Their tanks are not too crowded and I rarely if ever see a dead fish, even in the feeder fish tanks. They are usually doing water changes when I go there, too.

Picture of him:

IMG_0284.jpg

Found a good stand today! The one at petsm@rt was 132USD :krazy: but I found a shelving unit rated 1500lbs the right size and 60USD only :D I wonder what I'll do with the old 29 gallon when the fish are in the 55. Maybe a nice planted tank with wcmm's and shrimp. The next thing I have to get is lighting and a hood for the 55. The only ones I've found hold only 1 bulb...Also, any good recommendations for filters? Is the Fluval C4 a good filter? Is activated carbon good or bad?