I May Have Done Something Bad...

ashlee18

Do you think this was a bad move? I'll explain below.

So getting the 180 in the living room means that I had to break down all but two of my tanks. The tanks I am keeping are a 20 long divided with six bettas and my 55 angel tank with three pictus catfish. The one non-goldfish tank I have left is a female betta sorority tank. I've been trying for two months to adopt them out. The LFS cannot guarantee their safety, i.e. not flushing and no one wanted the whole group, only one. And I am very particular about who they go to since they were all rescues and I put a lot of time into them. So when cleaning out the last half of the sand out of the angel tank it hit me. I'm going to try having the bettas in the angel tank. I added two of them today as an experiment. I know that angels and bettas don't get along but I'm hoping that since the tank is so large, and so are the angels, that they will get along ok.

What are your opinions?

sounds like a 50 50 chance here. If they got plenty of hiding places, then there is potential, angels dont really move, but when they do, they do it well. and wait. so you are adding your female bettas to the angel tank ? if its females, then i am pretty confident it should work out. with the space and hiding spots. though there is always a chance. some fish generally react tough every now and then. angels like to do that. i guess if you are looking out for a few days, seeing how its going, then it could be a save gamble. i dont see nothing wrong with it, but i do see a potential risk. but some risks are very common with any fish you add it seems.

I'm not worried about the angels going after the bettas, they have been with small fish before and completely ignore them. I was worried about the bettas going after the angels.

ahhh. i doubt it. i dunno how big your angels are but i really doubt it. there might be maybe little small fights potentially. but aside from that. i dont see a bit issue. bettas, usually dont show too much aggression to other fish. unless they are guppies. haha dunno why. male or female. at least, through my experience and what i have heard.

I have a female betta that goes after guppies but leaves my other trops alone. She ripped the whole dorsal fin off one of my male gups--he had a real pretty long, flowing dorsal and she left a little nub. It grew back some but was never as nice again. :( Anyway she never bothered my hatchetfish, udc or cories. Not all bettas will attack guppies though as I used to have another betta girl that was in a community tank with guppies, platies, and cories but she never bothered any of them. They were all together for quite awhile, too.

I had five females in with my angelfish for over 5 months (till they all died one day pretty much all at once no clue why). They never bothered my angelfish and the angelfish never bothered them.

I would advice against just adding one or two at a time though. If you add them all less likely the angelfish well beat them up cause it well be like adding dither fish. The more you add the better.

Good luck

PS Betta's go after guppies cause of their bright colors.

Well I added the remaining three this morning. I was just using the first two to judge their behavior towards the angels and vice-versa. This morning all was well so the rest went in :) Now I have to start redecorating it to make some more hiding places.

Any suggestions for more tank mates? Even with one of the filters dying, everything stayed at 0, so I know the bio load can handle more when I add the replacement.