Welcome To The Batcave!

blackteles

Well here we go...welcome to the Batcave. It's dark, cold, and kind of smelly...so if you're having issues just plug your nose and keep walking.

I'm going to start off from today's trip to my LFS.

But why not start from day #1 you may ask? Well, 'cause I don't really feel like it right now so there! :pp I'll work on it later to build the suspense. That's me...dark, mysterious....ah forget it!

Soooo, after some prodding from the greatest enabler in the world, I took a trip down to my favorite LFS in Montoursville PA. A GREAT place, I really enjoy going there. They have a great staff...one of the females there has the most beautiful eyes I've ever seen and I continuously tell her that. Oh she smiles, giggles, and blushes...but man, I'd do ANYTHING to get a 15% discount.

Anyway, I stopped in and picked up a hanging metal thermometer (I love these things), two Tetra plants for my tropical tank, and I returned a Tetra 100w heater that big the big one on me after only being in service for two weeks. It was only holding a temperature of 72? where I need at least 75-78? for my tropicals. Last weekend I ran down and picked up a Rena SmartHeater 100w to replace the non-functional Tetra. After setting the SmartHeater to 78? and keeping the Tetra heater plugged in as well, the water temp rose to 78? in about two hours. Unplugged the Tetra heater, boxed it up, and put it away for a return trip to the LFS today.

Three clerks up front against one customer, me. They tried to hand me a story about how they couldn't take it back...and I'm like "I bought it here, I'm going to buy another Rena SmartHeater, so what's the problem"? Once they found out I was buying more stuff they quickly changed their attitudes. I knew I could make 'em see my way.

Also picked up a carbon insert for my AC 50 in the tropical tank, two check valves just to be safe, and a new Rena SmartHeater 100w to use as a backup. the best heater out there in my opinion.

And the best part of my trip! Two new telescopes to add to the herd! One is a calico telescope who will be called Patch, and the other is a black and silver telescope and his name will be Bat. Right now they're acclimating and will be released into QT within 30 minutes. My LFS does a nice job of taking care of their tanks and I'd be half tempted to add them with the others but my sensible side tells me nada.

They had a 30 gallon tank FULL of calico telescopes and white Orandas with chocolate wens. The young guy that usually works the aquariums showed me the new shipment. Wish I could have taken all the telescopes in that tank (all the rest were calico teles). So if any of you are looking for nice white 4-5 inch Orandas with chocolate wens..I'm just sayin... :pp

Patch and Bat are both about 3 inches long and are in very good condition. Nice loose flowing fins with a tall, erect dorsal is the first thing I always look for. They're going to be a nice addition to my herd. Magoo is now in with the Chocolate twins and is doing fine. I just finished a 50% water change and gravel vac earlier today so what better time to put him into his new home with the twins? It doesn't take long to acclimate them from tank to tank as both have exactly the same parameters so it's relatively easy. I never net them when transferring from tank to tank...I always use my wet hands which definitely saves a lot of stress.

That's pretty much it for now until I think of something else that I may have missed. Before I left I was sure to give the little female with the pretty baby blues a big smile and a wink. But that's another chapter...turn the page. :tomato:

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:rofl :rofl This sounds like the intro to another place :yeah:

:rofl I laughed so hard at this one. This post deserves an award! The little employee should be honored to have Batman give her such a gentlemanly wink. :ehh:rofl I wonder who that enabler is..... :hummm:heart Congrats on the new teles. PICS!

Good to see ya Taylor! I'm honored to have the MOTM in as my first guest. Oh by the way do you have blue eyes? :pp

I tried to make a dramatic exit but my cape got caught in the door and I dropped my nag GEESH.... :booty

I did my water changes today...so far two out of three, I still have to do the 55 gal GF tank yet. I'm going to test the ammonia first as I always do before changing the water to keep a good handle on things if I have a problem. Since I add the AC 110 along with the two AC 70's everything's been fine with a 50% weekly water change.

Magoo the little black moor moved in today with Bosco and Cocoa Puff, the chocolate twins. He's bouncing all over the tank and fit right in with the twins.

As Susan says...it's every man's fantasy and I'll be the first to agree. But if they turn out to be all males then I've got some problems. :tomato:

Well I just remembered that the new calico telescope's name is Tri...just like my old calico fantail that I had before. So there it is....Tri and Bat. 'Nuff said.

I knew I screwed something up with the names...Patch is my RG telescope who did the color change on me. She may need to have her name changed since she's turned to solid orange and lost every bit of her black markings. Na, Patch is going to stick.

It is a little dark in this cave, but thank goodness I remembered my flashlight. And before you get threatened with the stick...where are the pictures of your new cuties!

I would have loved one of those orandas...want to post me one?

It is a little dark in this cave, but thank goodness I remembered my flashlight. And before you get threatened with the stick...where are the pictures of your new cuties!

I would have loved one of those orandas...want to post me one?

Hiya Amy...you've come prepared! I can't guarantee your safety in here, anything's bound to happen! (Le tunnel de Douche) :pp

I'll get some pics of the two new guys up ASAP...things are brutal with work right now and it's total insanity. :blink:

I'll keep an eye on that tank and see what's happening with the Orandas, I have a feeling Orandas of that color and size won't last long. :( You can always fly in here ya know...the airport's right up the street!

Did a check on everybody before I left for the hotel. Magoo is fitting right in with the chocolate twins...no worse for the wear and it was an easy move for him. The chocolate twins are growing very nicely. I think Bosco is going to have the better body type although Puff might be a sleeper. Tri and Bat are doing well too.....they both look great and are eating well. Tri has some very cool coloration, both nacreous and matte scales. Bat's color is very hard to describe, a mixture of black and silver along with orange patches on his belly. I believe that Tri and Bat are from the same batch... ;) I've been seriously debating about the black broadtails from Steve. If I move this next year I really shouldn't set up another tank. But I have my 120 gal tank to look forward to. Besides two of the four black broadtails that I was looking at have already sold. Ah, no big deal...more will come. ;)

Big fat and pretty broadtails, harboring cheesesteaks atop their mighty dorsals. :ehh:rofl Should Steve end up with more broadtails, I'm afraid I might not be able to hold back my hand in posting them on your blog. :lol

Big fat and pretty broadtails, harboring cheesesteaks atop their mighty dorsals. :ehh:rofl Should Steve end up with more broadtails, I'm afraid I might not be able to hold back my hand in posting them on your blog. :lol

LOL Tay....I'll let you know when I hit the "Love Shack" and I'll get you one. :madrant

If you see any before I do please feel free to insert HERE. :ehh

You must travel for work, too. I literally just got off a very awful plane flight and am in my hilton room now...work tommorrow.

I can't tell you how many times I've thought about flying a goldfish home, so it wouldn't be a stretch to fly out there for an oranda...but I have no more room with that monster of a lionhead.

You must travel for work, too. I literally just got off a very awful plane flight and am in my hilton room now...work tommorrow.

Yeah I do, Amy. A few years back was the East coast, from ME to FL. Now that I have my own region I go from NY through Western/Central PA and it's all driving now. I'm out on average four nights a week in hotels and you know it's not much fun. I've read articles about flying GF and it seems pretty easy to do. But if I was going to do it they would really have to be something that I wanted or needed for my herd. Too bad it's so time consuming to pack and ship GF. :(

I do a mix of driving and flying. Fall is my busiest season and I'm gone at least once a week, too. It sounds so fun to people who don't know how annoying and boring being in hotels and eating out by yourself can be. I have driven fish from SF to LA before, but it has to be a special situation for sure.

Dennis,I did not know you had a blogwhatjust.gif But,1st,let me say that your 1st entry was more of a ...................post-4056-1113060392.gif...shall we say.........post-4056-1113060392.gifpost-4056-1113060392.gifpost-4056-1113060392.gifFANTASY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!alc.gifhehehmn.gif Tall? Mysterious? Caped?9.gif Fair maidens w/ big,blue eyes who cannot resist your charmsdruel.gifjtmuch.gifTRUST ME!!! Camelot is 1 of my very FAVORITE movies-AND THIS AIN'T ITkickbutt.gifDennis,have you beenlinedrink.gif??? Or,perhaps................sleeping.gifdreaming??? OR,maybe you've just............krazy.gifLOST ITlol.GIFrofl2.gifOur enabling has gone FAR beyond the scope of gf acquisition-we are now into DELUSIONAL THINKINGsaywhat.gifAre you sure this is not the Bat Asylum?Dont-Believe.gif

Be that as it may,I am delighted to hear you've got some new babies-Pics,please.gif OR,do they not allow you to have cameras in 'those places'?rofl2.gif

LOL Susan....I'm glad you're here now. Grab Amy's flashlight and watch your head. And thanks so much for the nice compliments! :booty :booty :booty :booty :booty :booty :booty :booty :booty :booty :booty :booty :booty :booty :booty :booty :booty :booty :booty :booty :booty

Yay, a BatBlog! Dennis, you totally need to take pics of the two new teles for us -- a nice calico telescope is high on my list of must-have-someday fish. Pretty please?

And WHITE orandas with CHOCOLATE wens? Are you serious? Those must be incredible! I know you're a diehard telescope guy, but weren't you even a little tempted?

Yay, a BatBlog! Dennis, you totally need to take pics of the two new teles for us -- a nice calico telescope is high on my list of must-have-someday fish. Pretty please?

And WHITE orandas with CHOCOLATE wens? Are you serious? Those must be incredible! I know you're a diehard telescope guy, but weren't you even a little tempted?

Hiya Dee Dee! Good to have you in here! Well my office desktop took a dump last Friday and all my programs were on it. I just picked up a new tower tonight but I'm waiting for the Geek Squad to transfer all my files over to the new one. I'm using my business laptop right now but I don't have it set up for all of the fun stuff! I should be up and running in a week and I'll get the pics of the new guys as soon as I can. ;)

Yep...the orandas in the tank with the calico telescopes wer white with chocolate wens. I appreciate the looks of an oranda, especially the neat color combination, but I'm just an onlooker with any other breeds other than telescopes. But they were pretty and unique if I have to say so myself. I was lucky to find this shipment! Actually one of the girls from the store staff thought I may have brought the whole tank of fish in to rehome them all. I was like....ummm, if I brought all of these back then why the heck am I taking two back home again? :hi

LOL But as nice as all the fish were, I didn't even think twice. For me it's telescopes or nuthin'! :madrant

LOL I forgot my flashlight... I wanna see the pics of the telescopes! Can't wait for you to upload them cute lil' telescopes! :whatjust: