My Facny Goldfish Has Problem!

Hi all :-)

I am new on this forum and my name is Milan.

ow I am worried for one of my gold fish as she developed some strange lump on her forehead. Not sure what it is, didnt add any new fish in tank and didnt do anything which I dont do usually.

She is one of my olders fish (3yrs old) and other fish same age dont have any problems. Now is it just me worried, or I need to do something to help her :((

sorry!

My water temp is 22C, tnak is 160L, filter is flural 3, wather whanger (20L) every 2nd week, 15 fish and ther are multiple sizes (poorly one is one of bigger ones), feed they once on day (or if they eat all I will add bit extra!) and last one I do use tap safe and fish safe medc's (brand is Gold)

That answers maybe a quarter of the questions.

To be able to figure out what is wrong with the fish, we need as many answers as possible.

But first of all I blame the condition on the too small tank and due to that very poor water quality. A fancy (double tailed) goldfish needs about 40 liter for each fish, a single tailed goldfish 80 liter to himself. So your tank would be big enough for 4 fancy or 2 single tailed goldfish, in no way for 15 of them.

Also water changes in a not-overstocked tank should be 50% weekly. You change not even 15% weekly.

This causes the water quality to become dangerous and often even deadly to the fish. :(

You should try to find new homes for most of your fish, and keep only 3 or 4 fancy goldfish or 2 single tailed if that is what you got. These fish will grow very large, fancy goldfish can easily grow to be 20cm long, single tailed to be 30cm and bigger. :)

sorry for my spelling, not english and just worried, not even checking on what i am writing :)

Oh, I can understand you perfectly fine :)

Hello and welcome to Kokos! :)

If you could please answer all of these questions

[*]Test Results for the Following:

[*]Ammonia Level?

[*]Nitrite Level?

[*]Nitrate level?

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?

[*]Water temperature?

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)?

[*]How often do you change the water and how much?

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size?

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners?

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often?

[*]Any new fish added to the tank?

[*]Any medications added to the tank?

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

If you have 15 fish I'm afraid that a 160L tank is waaaay too small. You can only fit at most 4 fancy goldfish in an 160 liter. Fancy goldfish need 37 liters EACH and single tailed goldfish need 75 liters per fish MINIMUM. If you can take a picture that could be great, but I can guess that it could be from poor water quality as well. Goldfish need their water changed every week with 50%-75% of the water changed out because they produce so much ammonia and wastes. They also need 10x filtration per hour. For example if your tank is 160L, you need a filter or filters that filter 1600 liters of water per hour.

I hope we can get your fish feeling better soon. :heart If you have anymore questions please do feel free to ask.

Hi there! Welcome to Koko's! Don't worry about your spelling, we have members from all over the world!

Please do take a picture of the fish, that would be VERY helpful.

How many of the 15 fish are goldfish? Fancy goldfish need 10 gallons to themselves, which is 37 litres if I calculated correctly. I think your tank is only big enough for four fish.

The reason we suggest this is because goldfish poop a lot. Like machines. They can easily poop themselves to death in a matter of days if the tank is small enough. The extra water dilutes the waste until your cycle can detox it for removal.

If at all possible, you need to increase your water changes. Most of us change 50% of our water weekly to keep the levels safe for our fish. In an over stocked tank, you need to be doing more than that, as much more as you can manage! You can never do a water change that is too big!

If you could answer the questions at the top of your screen, that would be very helpful!

Hang in there, we are here to help!

OMG guy, thx for reply on my questions!

Not sure why need that much space as guys (guessing want to sell fish) saying its on up to 16 gold fish on my tank size!!!

I do, now, feel sorry for them, as I did not buy them to kill them and I will try to find good home for them ASAP.

Oerba Yun Fang; they told me to DO NOT change more than 10% of water on month as that may kill them!

This is the worst part about fish store employees. They are often not trained properly and think that goldfish have the same requirements as tropicals, and even tropicals need more water changes. They tell you you can get alot because they don't care about the fish, and they just want to make money. It's really a shame. We're so glad you found us here, you're on the right track. Rehoming would be a great idea, or take them back to the store. I could keep 3 of your favorites. Overstocking also leads to stunting, which leads to death.

[*]Test Results for the Following:

[*]Ammonia Level? dont know

[*]Nitrite Level? dont know

[*]Nitrate level? dont know

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? dont know

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? dont know

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? none

[*]Water temperature? 22C

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? sorry know in liters and its 160L

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)? flural3

[*]How often do you change the water and how much? 1-2ce per wk 10%

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size? 15 form them 12 is goldfish

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? None

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often? Tetra goldfish flakes, once per day

[*]Any new fish added to the tank? No

[*]Any medications added to the tank? tapsafe and fishsafe (brand is Gold)

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? just poorly one have strange lump on head.

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? No they are all happy and looking really healthy.

Just to add, filter is being cleaned 2x per week.

For 15 fancy goldfish you'll need a 567 liter tank minimum. :( Sometimes it's easier on you to rehome them, and they might also have a better chance at living their lives.

Haruka; good news :) my father-in-law owns glass company and Sarah (my wife) just spoke to him and he will build new, 700 gallons tank for us :), gonna be corner one as we always wanted one like it (as Christmas pressie!) so I am soooooooooooo happy :)

-now, what sort of pump i need for that one?

worried now!

i see you have a common pleco. It would need to be removed from the tank They need a 55 gallon tank to themselves and they will attack the goldfish. The injury could possibly be from the pleco. :(

You will need filters that turnover 7000 gallons of water, or you might want to build a sump. You are going to need A LOT of filtration for a tank that big. Are you sure it's going to be a 700 gallon tank? That's very very big. For your fish you'd probably only need a 160-180 gallon tank. Also make sure it's a long tank, goldfish need more surface area for breathing.

sorry meant to say 700liters tank :)

Plecos never attack them (never I seen and I do look at tank all the time as I adore fish, (till my wife watches sh** like judge judy etc, LOL) and all they do is attack eachother.

Guessing you are in right, again they sold me them as really usefully fish to keep tank clean from algae.

They're good for tropcial tanks but they failed to mention that they can grow over 1-2 feet long and need giant tanks. Goldfish benefit from green algae if it grows long enough and it can be easily removed. The problem with common plecos is at night they become active and if a goldfish is resting on the bottom they will suck off their slime coats.

I am of the belief that pet store employees are under-trained and or geared toward making money, money, money.

I find it hard to argue with the pictures of big, beautiful goldfish I see on this forum. Clearly, we know something that pet store employees don't know. Hehe.

If you can't get one giant tank, you could probably get a few large ones. I think 3 tanks, 50ish gallons in size would work. That's like.. 3 189 liter tanks.

I know you love your fish, but sometimes rehoming them is in their best interest. If you can't provide care for a pet, you should do your best to find someone who can. That said, if you are comfortable, some pet stores offer store credit when you bring in fish. Particularly smaller family own pet shops with good goldfish knowledge.

I am of the belief that pet store employees are under-trained and or geared toward making money, money, money.

I find it hard to argue with the pictures of big, beautiful goldfish I see on this forum. Clearly, we know something that pet store employees don't know. Hehe.

If you can't get one giant tank, you could probably get a few large ones. I think 3 tanks, 50ish gallons in size would work. That's like.. 3 189 liter tanks.

I know you love your fish, but sometimes rehoming them is in their best interest. If you can't provide care for a pet, you should do your best to find someone who can. That said, if you are comfortable, some pet stores offer store credit when you bring in fish. Particularly smaller family own pet shops with good goldfish knowledge.

Nail. Head. :)

• Supporter

Hi Milan!

welcome to koko's..

i just want to add a very important factor here!. please be sure that your father-in-law uses AQUARIUM SILICONE for the new tank.. anything else will seep toxins into the water and kill your fish.. also, make sure that after he cuts the glass to NOT OIL THE EDGES as the oil they use leaves behind a horrible film and unless harsh chemicals are used, you can't remove it. and no fancy finish on the edeges either as the silicone will bond, but it will create a weaker bond than the full thickness of the glass.. just get him to rub the edges with sandpaper so that no-one cuts themselves..

building a fishtank is different from fitting glass to a window.

i don't mean to be a miss know all, i just used to work for a glazier for 5 years in my junior years and understand full well how they work.

good luck.