Breeding Veiltail And Commons?

Quvantine

Just a quick question, is it possible for common goldfish/ fantails to breed with veil-tailed fish

My Sarasa Comet is pushing the Black Moor around from behind, I'm sure it's breeding behaviour but what is the likely hood of them breeding together?

Just a quick question, is it possible for common goldfish/ fantails to breed with veil-tailed fish

My Sarasa Comet is pushing the Black Moor around from behind, I'm sure it's breeding behaviour but what is the likely hood of them breeding together?

The likelihood of them breeding together depends more on you than it does on them. If the conditions are set then they will breed provded they aren't too old. Water quality needs to be pristine and there needs to be plenty of room available.

Are you wanting them to breed? Will you be keeping any of the eggs?

I believe you can breed them. They are just different races of the same kind, like black, white, asian etc.

I think a better analogy is different breeds of dogs; yorkie, great dane, dalmation. There are different breeds of dogs, just like there are different breeds of goldfish. But the different breeds can interbreed. Sometimes there are physical difficulties, because as you can imagine it would be difficult for a great dane and a tiny chihuahua to breed; but in theory it is possible.

It's just that race is not real, it's a human construct. :) Race implies that different "races" of people have different DNA, and that's just not true. But, now we got a bit off topic here! :oops:

I wonder if there would be some if any differences or not. I wouldn't mind if they bred (not that I'd be able to do anything about it if they did..) but I'd rather they didn't as I don't really have the room for more fish.

Even though he's been pushing the black moor around I haven't seen any breeding stars?

I'd like to see if they did breed what the ratio would be or would there be all common goldfish.

Most of the fry would look like common goldfish, because the traits of the black moor are all recessive. If you breed two black moors though, then the likelihood of the fry looking like black moors goes up. And to my understanding, if you breed two sibling fish, then it's even more likely the fry will look the same as the parents.

Make sure your black moor isn't too stressed out by this. If she doesn't get a break, then you'll need to separate them, or she'll become stressed and sick. Being pushed around could also indicate other things too though. What size tank are they in? Fish often become aggressive and pushy if they feel cramped.

Sakura that's exactly right and that's what breeders do to get the parental generation genes to show up. If you breed them with another fish then the parental genes don't show up.

I'm sure breeding two fish of the same family would increase the chances of deformations just like inbreeding with other animals?

I don't think the black moor is stressed out, the pushing isn't insistent and she goes right back to rummaging around on the sand for food.

Unfortunately I do have an overstocked tank (which I only realised recently). I have them in a 15 gallon tank but I'll be getting an 80 gallon soon.