Mixing Different Species Of Shrimp Together

us4298

I recently purchased some Amano shrimp, and I am wondering if I can get some cherry shrimp and put them togteher in the same tank? Theres many theories out there about them cross breeding and creating unusual hideous shrimps. I personally believe that they won't cross breed, but what do all of you think?

Amano shrimp and Cherry shrimp can't cross breed.

Amano shrimp have to go through a larva stage.

Cherry shrimp hatch into minature shrimp.

Cherry shrimp will cross breed with snowball, yellow, and blue pearl shrimp.

i am not sure how well a cherry and amano shrimp would do together i suppose its depended on the tank size and how much the cherries get to eat i have heard of cherries going after small fish and fry and have seen that they will rip snails right out of there shells and eat them. were as amano are quite peaceful little things i really enjoy the amano

Not to worry, I have kept both cherry shrimp and amano shrimp together. I never had any problems, both species are very peaceful and they will basically ignore each other. :)

O, thats pretty interesting, but I do notice that my Betta chases my amano shrimp from time to time, would this be especially dangerous for cherries as they are smaller than amanos?

Thats what im thinking, I would see my Betta chasing my shrimp from time to time but thank goodness that the shrimp are about my Bettas size, or else it wouldnt look so pretty.

True, but I don't think theres anything I can do about it now. I also noticed that one of my shrimp mysteriously dissapeared. I had 2 ghost shrimp and now theres only 1 that I can find, I've looked everywhere. Any ideas?