How Fins Grow

pss_gold

I just thought I'd post here on how fish fins grow. Or at least how they appear to grow.

They are living tissue and grow from the tips unlike our dead human hair that grows from the root. That's why when you look at a long fin, you can see the veins branch off and split into two. Kind of like a tree branch :)

Saka has a fold in his tail that I thought would grow out but it hasn't in the past few months and his tail has grown a lot. The fold is in the same spot as it always has been.

So if a fish has tail rot, that's where the newest growth is and should be taken care of quickly especially if you love fins as much as i do. :wub: This also means that if a fish loses a chunk of tail, it should be able to re-grow as good as new, or at least close.

Well, if the fin is injured too close to the base then it will not grow back or grow at all. Like if a fish loses all of its fins to fin rot, none of the fins will grow back at all, even with the cleanest water.

• Admin

yeah and they have cartilage in there fins to, so if the bend or break you will see a scare there. i have a fish named Curly that has a bend in is tail fin from shipping and its still there after 9 months of having him :(