Hatter Is Flashing

amynmitchell

0 ammonia

0 nitrite

10 nitrate

7.8 PH

70 degrees

First meal today of gel food...they both ate like crazy and are acting normally except for Hatter's flashing. Merryweather hasn't flashed once.

16.5 gallon qt tub

I have to run in literally two seconds, so the entire chart isn't filled out. I can go back and do it. Hatter has been flashing way more than I would like. He is rubbing against everything, even Merryweather. He does have some missing scales from shipping and he still is full of red streaks, so he could just be itchy. It worries me a bit.

It looks like my seeded media has cycled the tub, but I still want to be extra careful as I am headed out of town Sunday, Monday, Tuesday and most of Wednesday. Should I salt a bit? Go ahead and add a prazi dose after I change the water Sunday before I go?

It could also be that he is cooped up in the tub and just frustrated. I'll try to take a video of him doing it and post it. Of course, they never do what you want when you want them to do it.

Thanks!

Send that to Ken definitely. You'll want to cover yourself just incase. He can probably give you some advice sooner if no one comes to the thread fast enough. Or give him a call even (Send him the video too).

Definitely email or call Ken and see what he thinks. But I would definitely not add anything (salt or prazi) to the tank right now. I would bet that Hatter is just stressed from all the changes and stress he went through in shipping and adjusting to a new home. I really think he is just irritated and adding anything to the water will only irritate him more and make things worse. Ken does scrapes on all fish before sending them, so it's not likely that Hatter has any parasites. Although you did use media from your tank, right? I suppose it's possible that some type of parasite would have been transferred that way to the new fish, but I would doubt it.

I have had experiences where newly shipped fish "yawn" often and even flick their dorsal and other fins. They always get over it within a week or two (at most) if I don't freak out and treat with meds.

I second what Sakura said. Link was yawning a lot too. I suspect from what Sakura said or either that it's probably hard work breathing with all that wen on his gills, or he has trouble clearing them sometimes so yawning helps out. How do his gills look?

I would have to ask my friend to ask him which gets bit complicated, so I only want to do that if it is absolutely necessary. He does the behavior a lot worse in the morning. I noticed that the water evaporates pretty quickly from the tub, so the water level was a bit lower than I would have liked. I have of course added more, but that leads me to the cooped up theory. Anyway, this is a video of what I could catch him doing, but that rubbing against the sides is what he will do over and over again in the morning.

http://s310.photobucket.com/albums/kk401/amynmitchell/?action=view&current=newfish086-1.mp4

It seems like his skin is maybe just irritated from the poor water quality in the shipping bag. His fins are pretty red, so I bet the shipping water was pretty bad. I bet a few more days in pristine water will have him feeling a lot better :) It must be stressful watching him like that in the meantime though.

Edited by Sakura

I would have to ask my friend to ask him which gets bit complicated, so I only want to do that if it is absolutely necessary. He does the behavior a lot worse in the morning. I noticed that the water evaporates pretty quickly from the tub, so the water level was a bit lower than I would have liked. I have of course added more, but that leads me to the cooped up theory. Anyway, this is a video of what I could catch him doing, but that rubbing against the sides is what he will do over and over again in the morning.

http://s310.photobuc...ewfish086-1.mp4

I've your video a few times, I'm pretty sure that's not flashing and any where near that. Your fish probably needs to acclimatize to the new surrounding and water. Bigger fish is normally more sensitive to that. I think you should keep the tank partially cover with a dark colored towel, good water and salt 0.1% should do the trick. I think he should be back to normal in a few day's time.

cheers

Of course he wouldn't do it when the camera was turned on! He did the one or two quick rubs against the side of the tub, but he was doing that much more often. I do think it is probably recovery. He is still quite red (though I noticed he was red in his main picture on DO as well) and he seems to rubbing where those couple of scales came off. His water was really funky looking in his shipping back, a kind of murky white with stuff floating in it (not really poop more like chalky looking stuff). I think I am extra worried because I have to go out of town tommorrow for three days.

The tub was running .25ppm ammonia today and my nitrates were at 20ppm. So it is struggling with that much fish. I did a huge water change, will do another tommorrow and will have Geoff keep it up when I'm out of town.

My only other worry is that Hatter wants nothing to do with my gel food. He tries it, then spits it out like it is the most disgusting thing he has ever tasted and Merryweather happily slurps it up. I'm going to feed them bloodworms tommorrow, but the gel food is my main diet and the easiest for Geoff to feed so hopefully he will get used to it and not be stubborn.

I agree with Lionchu. It also may be his style of swimming to a certain extent. I notice all my fish have their own style and in QT is a time to familiarize with that distinction. And as everyone and yourself say, the missing scale and redness on top of shipping stress can be irritating and itchy for sure. I think he's just very stressed.

He is absolutely beautiful :wub:

Im sure he will get use to the home cooking. Meanwhile how about some peas as an interim? Not so difficult for hubby to manage if he really wont eat when you are away...Congrats on your new babes Amy, havent had a chance to say that or see them till now really . They both are gorgeous :flowers:heart

Personally I have never had anyone, but sick fish refusing to eat. I don't think fish have tastes for what I have observed. I do agree that larger fish have a way more major issue getting used to new surroundings. I had McQueen refuse food for the 2 first days - but then he ate it no prob. I do still think it is possible that they get fluke symptoms. My ryukins were flashing and yawning - but they were parasite free under the microscope - I still did a 5week Prazi to make sure.

Thanks, Imo! He wants to eat...he keeps going after it and sucking it in, he just spits it out. Bloodworms tommorrow. And peas are a great idea. He can give the same thing to everyone. I do plan to prazi. Imo, do you think I should salt as well?

Yes definitely with the redness and stress. But keep it low (0.1%)I would until the prazi is done. I always stagger those. Even if no flukes are found on a scope before leaving, fluke teeny larval forms may be on the fish undetected and prazi is always a good idea on new fish wherever they came from IMO.

Did you check in his mouth? Mouth ulcers are caused by stress in fish just like people, if he is having trouble swallowing because of an ulcer he may spit back his food. Mouth ulcers look like little pink or white raised spots in the sides of the mouth, you can see them easily when the fish yawns or opens his mouth to try eat. IME they heal rather well in low salt I have found.

I had to head out of town tonight for the next three days, so I opted for plain fresh water, so my husband can easily do daily water changes. But salt and prazi is going to happen when I get home. I hate being gone...I get so stressed and nervous. I added two water lettuce plants to help keep the water good and they both seemed thrilled to play with the long roots hanging in the water.

I haven't looked in his mouth, but I fed brine and he ate like a pig. I think he is just being picky. I have peas and gel food ready for my husband to feed and I'll have to remind him to watch for him eating.

Imo, thanks for checking in. I'm afraid I have one more question. My whole QT routine is thrown off, because I promised Geoff these guys would be in the main tank by Dec. 22nd when his parents come in town. I'll be back home on the 8th. So I will have exactly two weeks to treat the fish (if I could get them in the main tank a day or two early it would be nice, because we are going to be gone for three nights with his parents and I want to know everyone gets along). I haven't done anything yet. So should I start a low level of salt and continous prazi for those two weeks? It isn't ideal, but I want to do my best with the time I have.