Mossball

number20121

I'm thinking about adding a moss ball in the 55 tropical tank, but will the fish destroy it?

Also, the LFS keeps the moss balls in the fish tanks. How do I disinfect a moss ball; same procedure as with other fish? 1 part bleach and what, 20 parts water? For how long?

• Admin

Last time I had 2 of those in my goldfish tank, it was like a Salad bar in there. It took my goldfish a whooping week to eat them all. Of course this is when I had Pharoh :lol

I would not buy it if it is with the fish. I just don't think moss balls can be very efficiently sanitized. In my experience they are like sponges - you never know what is inside. :(

Federica, that's what I was thinking, which is why I asked.

But even Fintastic has fish in the live plant tanks. They got like 3 or 4 big tanks with not so great looking, expensive plants, and they have fish in with them. That's the only part in Fintastic that I don't like at all.

I think I'll rather order some plants on that website Hidr showed me the other day.

Thanks!

my lfs has them alone in their own small tank. which is a lot smarter. id suggest ebay or craigslost as a lot of LFS are like.. 8 to 10 bucks for one. while you can get 5 for the same price online. as for will they be fine in a tropical tank.. of course! i have about 5 of these moss balls and they are doing amazing in my tropical tank :D

If you really want a Moss ball check out this site: http://www.plantedaquariumscentral.com/

I have purchased plants ffrom here with great success, I know Hidr has gotten plants here and I believe she was happy with them too.

I know, I just hope the common pleco doesn't eat it all up. This is my question, because I don't want to spend 10 bucks on a mossball that will be eaten by the plecos within a few days... That would not make me happy! :D

when i owned a common pleco, before he went to the other side, he was about 6 inches roughly, and he never ate them. he would go on them, and chillax but thats about it. not once would he eat it. only way i would ever see any of my fish attempt to eat it if lets say a little piece came off and its on the ground. then maybe. even then they really didnt touch it. my Chinese algae eater, same thing. see see but no touch . :D hope this helpps.

I have a softball sized one and my current goldies don't really touch it. We'll see what happens when the new kids go in. I did a bleach solution and squeezed it completley out, let it soak up the bleach solution, then qt'd it in a jar for four weeks changing the water every day. A pain, but it was cootie free by then for sure.