Do You Like Algae?

CatfishSoup

i actually like algae personally, beard algae and hair algae i think look cool. i have seen it on glass. i like it.

http://www.plantgeek.net/article_viewer.php?id=9

here is just the different types of algae.

which do you like? or do you hate it all XD

I have some green algae growing on the river rocks, but there is now spot algae growing on some of them and on the front glass. It seems like the pleco does not really care for this kind though.

The LFS that sell live plants around here, their plants are so covered in beard algae though. And I mean COVERED, it is gross looking.

im letting green algae grow on my glass right now. I want it to cover the back of my tank :heart

ahh id love to have my glass in algae :D

I have some green algae growing on the river rocks, but there is now spot algae growing on some of them and on the front glass. It seems like the pleco does not really care for this kind though.

The LFS that sell live plants around here, their plants are so covered in beard algae though. And I mean COVERED, it is gross looking.

thats not a quality lfs in my opinion ! i actually like my lfs, Big Al's quite the dedicated company and employees :D

Very cool link. Did you know a lot of the "plants" we like are nothing more then algae. Example moss balls.

ahh i love ..LLOOOVEEE moss balls! i got like.. 5 i believe. and one of them is bigger than a baseball roughly now. its cool how its all just algae :D what about java moss? seems very algae like.

I think the beard algae looks really pretty and would look great on the bottom of a barebottom tank.

Yeah, but a half dead anubias covered in thick beard algae looks terrible.

EDIT: I meant FUZZ algae. Durrr.

Edited by Oerba Yun Fang

That's a really interesting link. I like the hair algae, at least on the photo. Not sure if I'd like it in my tank...

I leave the algae on the "back wall" of my tank. Not really because I like the look of it, but because my goldies like to snack on it. :)

I love algae in my tanks. :) I'm like Koko, I never ever clean the back wall of the tank. The goldies are always grazing at it. :D And it grows like crazy on my driftwood, it looks like a furry carpet covering it. The goldies love it and so do my amano shrimp. :feedme The only thing I don't like is that it is now growing on a lot of the gravel. I'll have to find some thing to clean that up, maybe a snail? :hummm

I love algae in my tanks. :) I'm like Koko, I never ever clean the back wall of the tank. The goldies are always grazing at it. :D

I second (or third) that :rofl

Algae gives the fish somthing to do besides pulling up plants. And the fish get vibrant colours :painting:

Am I the only one that cannot get algae to grow? LOL, maybe I have too many plants that take away the nutrients...

My goldfish tank has no plants at all, still it is all clear of algae, except for the little bit of spot algae showing up right now. I blame my pleco for this, so I'll see if there will be more algae whenever she moves to the other tank.

Is there any way to PROMOTE algae growth? Except for lots of light?

Theoretically, what if after a water change I put some plant food (half dose) in my plant-less goldfish tank. Could this technically make algae grow more?

A crystal clean tank does look pretty but I love algae and all its benefits. I have taken years to get it and Im sticking with it and never giving it up lol!!

I'm not sure I like the look of the darker, blue like algaes but if its green its cool as far as me and fish are concerned.

Best of all I like Green Water /spirulina but I have had two disasterous GW crashes and am scared of going through that again.

Great link and question . Interesting to learn what others think about it :thumb:

I'm not a real big fan of algae appearing in my tank...it's just my personal preference that I've never cared for it. I have a little in my tropical tank on a rock and also on my plant leaves, which I can deal with. I'm just not into anything much more than what I have now. ;)

Is there any way to PROMOTE algae growth? Except for lots of light?

Theoretically, what if after a water change I put some plant food (half dose) in my plant-less goldfish tank. Could this technically make algae grow more?

Like other kinds of plants, algae needs nitrates and other nutrients, so doing less water changes and removing other competing plants would probably promote algae growth. The plant food thing- if there are no other plants, then it would definitely promote algae growth. If you already have plants, it could really go either way. The more obvious result would be that it would give more nutrients to the algae, so it would grow more, but it might also cause the plants to grow faster and overtake the the algae. I guess it depends.

Am I the only one that cannot get algae to grow? LOL, maybe I have too many plants that take away the nutrients...

oh i have had the same issue. i have had this tank for months! and in my old tanks, for months as well, and algae BARELY showed up. i got TONS of plants. if you check out one of my latest threads of my tank update you shall see. though once i upgraded my light fixture, algae is now showing up more often. not like. in a mother load, but a more noticeable load i guess we could say. i guess thats why i never had algae. my plants would rob it all, plus good water changes, i guess it never had a chance. until now though with 108 watts for 55 gallons :D