Scab-Looking Thing On Oranda's Tail

emptysky

I went to Pet-smart to get a gift card and stupidly looked at the fish, and of course there was an awesome one so I impulsively bought it. It's a solid white oranda girl, so pretty. I didn't notice until I got home that she has some kind of scab-type thing on her tail. It's not huge and disgusting, and it was almost impossible to take a picture of. The area around the scab is kind of raised up and stiff looking, even though it's white. Otherwise she seems normal and happy enough. Here are the best of my crummy pictures, it's up almost at where the tail joins the body.

357j6vc.jpg

2qjlug2.jpg

I'm hoping maybe this is just some kind of injury that will get better by itself? It doesn't look too bad in these pictures, but I know with the stress of a pet store fish coming home, that if it something serious, they can go from looking a little unwell to near death in a day. The other fish in the tank were all swimming quite vigorously following me around as I looked at them, and I saw her get squished down against the gravel and struggle to get away from the crush of bodies. Before I bought her I even looked to see if she was a boy or girl, so it's hard for me to believe that I didn't notice that area right at her tail. If it is just a scratch, should I add salt? Melafix? Please advise. Thank you!

Nice new fish! And I agree, this looks like a healing scratch.

Too bad you didn't put her in quarantine though. I'd still salt the tank (it won't hurt the other fish) and keep a close eye not only on the new fish but also on all the fish you already have, in case the new one brought some disease or parasites.

Doing a round of prazi would also be a good idea to get rid of parasites, just in case :)

Oops, sorry my post was not clear. She got trampled by the herd of fish at Pet-smart, not at my house. There were probably 12-14 orandas in those little tanks they have at Pet-smart and they seemed very hungry. They were following my every moment and she was down at the bottom of them... I bent down to talk to my daughter in her stroller and all the fish dove for the bottom and pinned my new fish down. I have never gotten fish from this store before, but the tanks looked much better than the nasty ones at the other Pet-smart closer to my house, and they had a lot of really pretty fish. Tons of gorgeous ryukins too, I had to make myself stop looking before I fell in love again because I only had room for 1 more goldfish.

So far she doesn't seem to be showing any ill effects from it and her fins aren't clamped, so I will go with the salt and keep an eye on it. Thanks!

Oh, ok! Well, the better if she is not in with the others yet. I also love your collection of fish, all of them white with some red. That sure looks great! Are there any more photos or videos of your fish/tank?

Gonna go check out your flickr now :D

Thanks! It took me 6 months to get my little white and red group together, now with this new addition my goldfish family is complete.

I haven't managed to take a good picture of the new Oranda (though I guess solid white is pretty much self-explanatory). I'm still working on taking a video that's not a giant blur. Pictures don't do goldfish justice, I love to watch the flowing fins and the little wiggle of the fancies as they swim.

I added salt last night and checked on her this morning, and it looks like the darkest area of reddish-pink has faded to pink. So I guess it is just a scratch and is already on the road to healing. PHEW.

The scabby thing is completely gone! There is still a bent area there that flaps a bit where they should be a solid, flowing line. It looks like the edge was bent until those white lines inside the fin (cartilage??) broke. Her tail has some odd wavy bits at the very end too but she is now 100% and I'm so relieved I didn't lose her before I got started. I still haven't taken a very good pic of her yet, but at least this one is in focus.

5250005613_dd7d89edc2_z.jpg

Miyuki the white Oranda, on Flickr