Got To Many Snails

Hidr

holy smokes. thats a lot of snails ! and can you check out my latest thread? i got a question regarding snails.. also, how did you lore them in like this?

I put in some algae. Then I remove them all and put in other tanks were the fish enjoy them for snacks. This is how I keep them managable. I like them but got to keep them thined out so they don't take over.

That's a smart idea!! Those little snails can go crazy, at my Pet$mart they had a bad snail problem a while ago and so kept moving their 3 BIG goldfish from one tank to another to eat them, and they're finally in control of the situation :D Still a bunch of snails, but not as massive as it was before.

LOL have to wait till spring. I can send you all you want and still have some left. lol

Thats good, I won't have the new tank set up until early spring! I'm planning on doing a 20long with neon tetras and cherry shrimp, very heavily planted!

Ya that works too but no way am I putting a goldfish in my nicely planted tanks. :doh11:

Of course not. That would be a disaster. The LFS tanks are more or less bare, but those three fish really took down the hundreds and hundreds of snails :D

Does this mean that goldfish EAT snails? Cause last time a had some guppies and then the tank was flooded with snails... Now that I have the goldfish there are like, 0 snails. :D

Depends on the kind. Mine never ate the big apples snails but would the babies and they do those trumpets that are in that cup. Not as fast as my oscar does but they do snack on them.

I had a goldie that would do drive-by snail eating from the side of the tank. He'd just be swimming by a snail and out of nowhere it'd be devoured! It was so funny! :D

My old pearlie (rip) used to loooooove trumpet snails. Now in my goldie tank I have one apple snail. I like him so I am keeping him. He was stuck to one of my plants when I purchased it and was big enough so that the fish couldnt eat him.

My planted tank with bumblebee and cherry shrimp tho, is over run! I hate the thought of killing things but I want them GONE! lol!!! I have no idea what snail they are, they lay eggs in clear sacs and the eggs are tiny and white. They don't get very big and are smooth and kinda spotted. Def not a trumpet and they don't look like my apple snail.

Auryn, your snails are either Physas sp. or Lymnaea stagnalis. Do you have pics of them? The latter has a more elongated shell and grow to 1-1.5" at least. They're bigger than the former.

I had a goldie that would do drive-by snail eating from the side of the tank. He'd just be swimming by a snail and out of nowhere it'd be devoured! It was so funny! :D

My Godzilla (comet) did the same. So I've never tried to introduce snails again.

But I do understand whe goldfish have such 'big teeth'. To eat snails like pop corn :doh11:

• 1 month later...

My Comet took a liking to "escargot" awhile back & gobbled up all my snails. So I didn't keep any for a long time. I noticed some pretty Mystery snails at my last visit to the Pet$mart & thought I'd give it another shot. So far so good! I have even seen Spot swim right by them (of course I get a knot in my stomach) but thus far he hasn't bothered them!! :hide:

Guest Doctor Whom

Yep when I trap them I move them to my other tanks, Goldfish and Oscar, for snacks.

Mine go to my angelfish. I once watched an angelfish repeatedly pick up a snail and drop it onto a rock until the shell cracked. Edited by Doctor Whom

• 1 month later...

:( Try the algae wafer in a cup like they have pictured.. :idont

If not that try to get them all out and put them... Somewhere else? :whatjust: