It's Brains... Again

So I started a topic in D&D earlier today about Brains and her rather odd poop. Afterward, she seemed to be having some bouancy issues which I attributed to all the air bubbles in the poo... but now she's bottom-sitting. HELP!

Amy, will do a quick test in the next few mins and post since my last readings are a few days old by now. On a happier note, I fed peas (at my mom's insistence, she hopped on her comp last night to figure out what causes bottom-sitting :goodjob because she just HAD to know, lol) and she perked up... she's swiming semi-normal again after peas for breakfast. She still seems a little... umm... sinky? but isn't bottom-sitting. I'll be keeping a close eye on her during the day though, cuz she's certainly not back to her normal self yet.

[*]Test Results for the Following:

[*]Ammonia Level?

0-.25 (difficult to tell which)

[*]Nitrite Level?

[*]Nitrate level?

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?

Ph levels unaccountably have a (relatively) wide variability in this new house... it's older, so I suspect deposits in the pipes, but best I can figure from the tap I use to fill the tank is 7.4-7.6

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?

API drops

[*]Water temperature?

73F

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?

125 gal tank, been running a little over 2 months. Was fully cycled before the move 2 weeks ago

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)?

1 Magnum 350, 2 whose make/model currently elude me, but they're essentially a "store branded" penguin and push 350gph each.

[*]How often do you change the water and how much?

I do weekly 25-50% water changes

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size?

3 commons (Brains is about 7in. nose to tail, the other two are 4-5 in.), 2BN plecos (Bems is roughly 4 in., and Luna is 3-4), and a clutch of pleco eggs

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners?

I add Prime with my weekly w/c

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often?

My feeding schedule is a bit complicated... they get a staple of store-brand floating pellets every morning, and a hikari algae wafer every evening. In addition to the algae wafer, they get staple, shrimp pellets, bloodworms (freezedried), or an extra algae wafer every evening. On occasion, I'll toss them some fresh greens around MY dinner time.

[*]Any new fish added to the tank?

nope, not unless you count hatching eggs!

[*]Any medications added to the tank?

no

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?

nothing that couldn't be explained by being overly curious about pleco eggs... lol

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

Usually when she's being lazy she'll float at the top in the lowest-current area... yesterday she started bottom-sitting while I was eating dinner, which I've NEVER seen her do before. During most of the day yesterday she seemed to be having some bouancy issues (she was "sinky") but I attributed it to the rather large air bubbles that were in a VERY long poop she had (it was about as long as she is... maybe a bit longer). After feeding peas last night, she stopped the bottom-sitting, but continued to be "sinky".

I wonder if you may be having a touch of a cycle bump from the move? I would do a few extra water changes. The other idea for floatiness/sinking is to fast for three day (very hard I know) then do three days of peas. That could help quite a bit. Any chance she could be full of eggs? That can also cause these sorts of issues.

I've already decided that the whole tank is getting nothing but peas for the next few days... fasting is a "last resort" option because every time I try it, my real plants wind up leafless, and the fake ones are floating... dumb fish, lol. She's acting pretty darn close to normal now, and has been most of the day, so I'm thinking that whatever it was those peas are fixing. I have no idea if this could be an egg issue... how does one tell that? I'm not even 100% sure she's female... I *think* she is, but then... well... I'm still pretty new with fish, especially when it comes to illness, lol.

Also... since she's feeling better, if "the powers that be" could please either move this to D&D, or merge it with my earlier thread about Brains, that'd be awesome! (and thanks!)

EDIT: I wouldn't be surprised if there's a slight cycle bump from the move, I did my best to keep the media wet, but it took a LONG time to fill a tank this big enough for the filters to start running again... and even longer to drain it, rofl

Edited by The Dragon's Rose

Just wanted to update in case anyone's still paying attention to this thread... Brains was bottom-sitting again tonight. My mom made an observation about it though... she doesn't start doing it until it gets dark... she was FINE all day until the sun went down and it got VERY dark in the room exept for the tank lights and the tv. Could she possibly just be bored and/or lazy? Her bouancy issues APPEAR to be gone, but we'll see how things go over the next couple of days. I'd really love a bit more help on this guys... it doesn't appear to be something life-threatening, but if it's affecting her quality of life, I'd like to fix it asap.

So I'm wondering if it's possible to have a diabetic fish? Last night after I fed her, she was acting 100% FINE again... it makes me think that this might have something to do with how far apart her feedings are... I feed at around 7-8AM when I get up, and then USUALLY at 10pm just before bed... but I fed them early last night to check how she'd act afterwards...

What do you guys think? could I be on the right track here, or is it just coincidence? Either way, will certainly start feeding earlier in the evenings.

Is the water where you moved to different than your water source where you used to live? I really think that this is a stress related issue from the move and the byouncy issues could be from recovering from that move. I wouldn't panic here. I would just make sure the water is 100% pristine, keep up an extra good diet of veggies, an orange slice, brine, bloodworms...yummy stuff that isn't likely to cause floatiness. Can you get a video of the behavior? How is your water testing today?

to be honest, I haven't run a FULL test of the new water, but we're with the same water company and we only moved 3-4 miles down the road... I can't immagine it's TOO different... I know at least the pH is roughly the same (maybe a .2-.4 difference). Maybe you're right Amy, and she's just taking longer to adjust than the others... though she was acting 100% normal for over a week before all this... meh... I probably just worry too much, lol.