Something Funky Happening In The 85Gal...

[*]Test Results for the Following:

[*]Ammonia Level? 0

[*]Nitrite Level? 0

[*]Nitrate level? 0 (never get nitrates with plants)

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? 8.2

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? 7.4 (water aged 5hrs with airstone to match pH)

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API Master Test Kit

[*]Water temperature? 24C

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 85Gal - not about 2months with fish. (almost 5months including cycling process)

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)? 15x canister filtration (4canisters total, each cleaned atleast once a month)

[*]How often do you change the water and how much? 50% twice a week

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size? Poppins, Sir Archie, Einstein (4-5inch), the ranchu twins and Pixel (2inches)

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often? 1-2 times a day. Veggies, Saki Hikari, veggie gel food and frozen foods

[*]Any new fish added to the tank? Pixel, fully QTd for a few months - totally healthy.

[*]Any medications added to the tank? Prazi, 2 treatments.

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? All except Pixel and Chunky Monkey randomly get fungussy spots on their tails or fins. Sir Archie is especially prone to this. I CLEAN the tank very well 2x a week so I am not sure how this can be. Poppins had dropsy 2 weeks ago and she is almost fully recovered in a hospital tank (cured with MetroMeds and heat and epson). But I have been keeping watch on Sir Archie as I think his butt scales are also starting to stick out... (darn darn darn). So my question is, should I do a round of MMs on everyone in the tank??? Do I just remove Archie? Einstein is also acting under the weather.

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Bottom sitting occasionally (hence the Prazi). Floatiness in the 3 large fish, which I attribute either to this mysterious sickness or to general swim bladder problems (processed foods which I try to avoid). Lots of stringy poop (!!!)

I would love some advice here as this is a nightmare. I am worried about them all but so far Pixel and the ranchu twins look healthy - but not sure about Archie and Einstein. Should I get everyone on MMs or remove the 'suspicious' fish? I am not too sure...

I am picking up my 25watt UV Sterilizer next week so hopefully also that helps.

Thanx everyone! :thanks

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like a nightmare :( I hate weird mysterious illnesses like this. Do you think the fungus spots on the fins is related to the other symptoms? Did Mary P. ever have fungus spots, and did they improve when you began treating her?

I think the 25 watt UV will absolutely help. But in the meantime, I would probably separate Archie and Einstein and start mm's with them right away. Since the ranchus and Pixel seem okay for now, I would hold off on using the mm's for them just yet. I bet you could QT Archie and Einstein in a tub together though to make things easier on you.

I have a 30Gal tub downstairs. Gona move them over then. Argh.... CAN I JUST FINALLY ENJOY MY TANK!!! :wall

No, now that I think about it Poppins never had the spots. Archie, Blondie and Einstein are the ones who get them. It is so strange as I was sure Poppins' dropsy was caused by an egg issue. Now seeing Archie who is a dude I am totally confused...

* Oh forgot - they are in 0.1% salt since 2 days since I thought that would help... :stars

Fede,I think I would start by fasting the 1s that get floaty for at least1 day-2 if you can.Then I would follow w/ peas w/ a grain of epsom in them and hand feed so it stays in there. I would reassess several hours after each feeding,and feed them the pea/epsom a few times-I've done this w/ no ill consequences. I' m afraid,that w/ a new tank-EVEN THO you cycled it 1st,you run into probs-I did w/ my new big tank for several,several monthsdoh11.gifWhat do you have in the form of med that you can add to water?

Hey Susan.

I just realized that when I 'sniff' the top of the open tank it smells maybe of plastic? Should I add some carbon in the filter for a few days incase there is something toxic breaking down in the tank?

Susan, they only float when they eat processed foods I have been noticing. They are mostly fine on gel and veggies and frozen krill etc - except when they eat too big rations.

Should I still fast?

I have all the meds on the face of the earth :)

Susan I have nothing showing up on the testers - and the filters are pretty gunky for now.

Have you added anything new? How long have you been using the prazi for? If you do decide to add carbon, rinse really well. I just added some carbon to the main tank even though I don't usually like to use it. They were just acting a bit off and I wanted to try something different.

I'm not crazy about that plastic smell...what the heck could that be?

I know,Fededoh11.gifFor me,it was like fighting an invisible ghost-"What's wrong NOW!"krazy.gif It certainly would not hurt to put carbon in for a couple of days-that's pretty benign. I just didn't want you to rush into meds,when there could be more than 1 thing going on-and I'm just an observer and can probably separate it better from a distance.I know I get very panicky and nervous when it's my fish! If they are having lots of stringy poop,fasting followed by 1x pea/epsom would also be benign.

I have gotten little tufts on my fish before too-is it anything that will show up in a photo? Koko told me it looked like 'food fungus',and to add Melafix-and it worked! I could go back and look for the post,and make sure it wasn't Pimafix-but the co. that makes those advises to use them together-both added at full strength. Do you have any?(I'm a little bit busy this am,so if I'm not around for a few mins-that's whydoh11.gif)

Hey Amy. Nothing new....

I will try with the carbon for the 4days pause of prazi.

I checked on Archie and he is def starting to pinecone. :doh11: :doh11: :doh11:

I will take him and Einstein out tonight or tomorrow morning. And start those 2 on the MMs as they are def having issues.

Poppins is on day 11 on the MMs and she is much better, but I can def see a tiny bit of prickly on the butt area. I was thinking of doing a pause of meds and JumpStart + veggies and see how she is then. Doing more than 2 weeks on MMs is silly.

The fungus are little tufts that just come and go randomly. Salt fixes them but doesn't prevent them. So I think they are just coming and going with no reason. I could try Melafix but I am not too crazy about it.

Okey so the fungus are mostly white fuzzy spots on the fins the size of a pin needle. Some on the tail of Archie have longer treads training behind them.

Susan how do you dose the Melafix? I think Chunky Monkey is sensitive to it tho... hmmm...

Why would the salt not prevent them tho?

No it is for sure not anchor worm. It is just very thin fungus threads that develop from the spot. I had shown one of the spots to the vet and he had told me not to worry if it is white and goes. But SOMETHING isn't normal. They just can't keep coming and going.

My boyfriend is edgy on just treating the 'sickly' fish (he thinks the other fish have already been 'contaminated' so we have decided to give everyone MMs. I will up the water changes to 3x a week to try and get rid of whatever is in there. I will also put carbon in the tank from tomorrow till sunday or monday. I am also going to take the plants all out and check if there isn't any decaying leaves or roots.... hmmmm...

Oh and I am also cleaning 2 canisters a week instead of 1 - so they will all be cleaned 2x a month.

Oh and also going through a major brown algaa bloom - would this possibly cause 'allergic' reactions? I am keeping it clean as best I can. Does it go away with more of less light??????

I'm so sorry this has been happening to you Federica. I can however answer for the brown algae. It usually goes away with more light. I've been trying to find 18 inch lights that are more than 15 watts each so I can get more wattage power.

It some how bothers me when people "remove" sick fish. First it causes more stress on the sick fish and second just cause none of the others seem sick they have been exposed. Does that make any since? Or am I just nuts?

I would leave them and treat whole tank. Insurance for the ones not showing any illness and less stress for the ones that are sick.

Sure hope they are all well in no time no matter how you go about making them well.

I think your boyfriend and Hidr may be right here. I am usually more conservative, but when you have more than one fish starting to dropsy in a tank something is up in that tank. Might as well try to take care of everyone at once. If a sick fish is getting picked on or not able to rest then you need to isolate them.

I recently found a few rotting parts on my plants, so now I check them every week. And try to think back if you added anything new in the last month. It can take three weeks or so for them to show symptoms of being bothered by something.

True if they are being picked on then you do need to keep them apart but you can (if you have breeder net or something.) still keep them in the same tank.

thanx guys! I saw some rotting roots - could that be the cause??? Doing major cleaning tomorrow morning.

So far they are all acting perky and they loved the MMs. So all is good so far. Everyone is loving everyone - even pixel is behaving :)

Last night (while I've been busy worrying about the new guy in qt...) my teeny oranda started bottom sitting. For the last week it has looked I finally had a cycle aside from a trace nitrite reading a couple times. But when I tested my water last night the nitrites had jumped beyond reason within maybe 12 hours. I started a massive water change of course and cleaning everything, and I found a glob of rotting plant gack under the rock my anubias is tied to and some nasty slime in the filter it was right next to. I cleaned it up and today the parameters are all back on track and the fishy is acting normal again. And this had to have happened in just the last few days. So I'd say maybe it could be something as simple as the rotting roots. Maybe it's just not messing up your parameters because you cycle is so much more stable than mine. :idont

When did your tank cycle? Call me crazy but I wonder if you're having cycle problems. I don't think plants would eat up all your nitrates even if you had a luscious carpet of grass on the bottom.

When did your tank cycle? Call me crazy but I wonder if you're having cycle problems. I don't think plants would eat up all your nitrates even if you had a luscious carpet of grass on the bottom.

Cycling problems are what I cited this morning herewhatjust.gifAnd why I was trying to keep you away from meds. Until your tank becomes "seasoned" I think you expect problems-it was certainly true for me. I hope this clears up soon for youangelstaf.gifexactly.gifDirty filters are a menace also-I just had to deal w/ them todaykrazy.gifdoh11.gif

I will test the water again before I do the water change in a few hours. I don't usually get nitrates since I added the huge java fern. When I was cycling and adding 4ppm of ammonia the plant would eat up about 30 - 40ppm of nitrates a day. :angelstaf:

The tank was totally cycled about 2 months ago. I have never had anything but 0,0,0 since then. And I don't really let the time go by enough for anything to show I guess, since it is 85Gal with 5 small/medium fish and I do 50% w/c 2x a week.

Edit: thinking about the possible cycling issues - this would most likely cause red streaks in Einstein as he gets them as soon as anything is off in the parameters. And just yesterday I was admiring how pretty and white his tail was. So it's unlikely.