Caco3 Reef Rocks - Okay For Fancy Goldfish?

Guest chemist01

Guest chemist01

Hello,

I have a 56g tank that I would like to dedicate to fancy goldfish. Dimensions are 30L x 24H x 18D. I have only kept marine aquaria for the last 10 years, so am unsure of what the protocol is for fancies. If rock is the norm, then I have a great deal of reef rock and was wondering if it would cause a pH problem to use it in the system.

I have read about these fish needing some dkH in the water, but not sure how much and if this would be overkill. I also have a boatload of aragonite sand from reef aquaria.

Thanks for any help!

Angela

I've never kept saltwater fish so can't really comment on the chemical properties of reef rock, but I would be concerned with how abrasive it is. Goldfish are clumsy and delicate, if you have sharp rock they will likely tear their fins and even eyes on it.

• Admin

Also sand its really good for goldfish, they graze in the gravel, the sand would be so small and get into there gills and can hurt them. Also the gasses that build up in the sand. In the SW world there are critters that aerate the sand but in the goldfish world there really isnt a critter that can do it :o