Separating Fish

Guest MistahChau

Guest MistahChau

So I've read from various places that removing fish that have long since been together can be quite <Insert word that means traumatic but not so serious>. Seeing as that everywhere has the same thing to say, I'm interested in what happened when you took out fishes and how did you help the fish to cope with it? (This is all because one of my fish started to grow fungus and I had to quarantine it so I had to remove it from the tank)

When I have separated fish they have kind of 'moped.' Despite being perfectly healthy they became less active, sitting in the corners and on the bottom.

I don't think, IMO, that this has anything to do with them being sad or lonely. Goldfish naturally school so being alone makes them feel insecure.

I had two sisters that had been with each other their entire lives. When I removed one to put into qt, the other one kinda just gave up and let the current of the water push her into things. She was so depressed that she got stuck on the filter intake. Her sister on the other hand could have cared less. Once I put them back together the other one perked right back up.