Previous Great Advice, Need Some More

Hello Haruka,Kukana, Captain Findus, Bodada and Amymitchell and anyone else that can shed more light on my situation ....Nitrate is Ruling my World! and keeping me from other things Crucial to my life? .... Without going back over the entire history .. the deal is this: ..55gal tank, 2- 6.5 in. Comets (wide and fat) brought in from outside after almost 3 years to enjoy for the Winter. I have a Fluval 305, full blast. My "N" cycle has happened, I think .... 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite but having a real problem keeping the Nitrate below 20PPM.!! The PH is approx 7.2 .....I am not feeding them very much, in my opinion, which may have a bearing on this. ...right now about 4-5 Pellets of Hikari "Mini"pellets per day per fish. but still I've had to do 7 H2O changes in the Month of November!!!! I can not keep this up for the entire Winter!!!!! Many of you, previously , have told me that two fish of the size I've mentioned should be good for a 55 gal tank ....!!!I went to purchase some plant to help (I do not have any now) but the plants my local pet shop had, I was told, the fish would eat within one week!!!

So ...... HELP! .... what am I dong wrong? ... could plants help? am I feeding too much? is my filter too small? ... Do I have the wrong hobby!!!!

Your most appreciative Goldfish Hobbiest......

Tom

You could possibly have nitrates in your tap water. I would get some anubias and java fern. The leaves are too hard for them to tear up and you can rubberband them onto rocks :D They're excellent for goldfish tanks.

You could possibly have nitrates in your tap water. I would get some anubias and java fern. The leaves are too hard for them to tear up and you can rubberband them onto rocks :D They're excellent for goldfish tanks.

Can they actually affect the Nitrate that much? ... in other words, are they worth trying? ... I noticed that Koko has the Java Fern ....... so if I am doing a 20% H2O change approx 4 times a month ... will it make it more reasonable? .... thanks so much .... I do appreciate the time you took to respond ....

tom

Okay ... I'm gong to check my tap water Nitrates ... my water comes from the Cowlitz river and may be high that way ... thanks for the advice ... and the advice on the plants ... !!!!

You! ... my Lady! are awesome ... thanks again ...

Tom

Okay ... I'm gong to check my tap water Nitrates ... my water comes from the Cowlitz river and may be high that way ... thanks for the advice ... and the advice on the plants ... !!!!

You! ... my Lady! are awesome ... thanks again ...

Tom

Made a mistake on my post ... I meant ... seven (7) times in the month of November!!! not 4 (four) times ... I can live with four times .. but seven is too much ... thanks

tom ..

Definitely bigger water changes - your comets are probably big poop machines!

I also have a HUGE java fern which zaps everything. I think the javas are best for this. The anubias I have seem to absorb it less.

have you tested the Tap water yet?

Yes ... and it close to NIL .... I'm finding another problem and that is .... I did not want to heat my tank ... I was hoping to keep my fish below the Summer temps so they can ...

experience a summer temp change to be more natural. (I live in the Northwest of course) ... so anyway .. .my problem is that the Java Fern I was hoping might help my Nitrate problem needs a warmer environment ... 18c or higher my tank is running from 66 deg F to 68 deg F .....any other plant ideas that can help with the Nitrate problems.?

Thanks

Tom

My tapwater is 35 mg/l and my goldfish, shrimp, corys and Endlers are all doing fine.

The delicate shrimp still breed like crazy.

I would not worry at all over 20ppm nitrate.

Still my biggest goldie lays eggs about once a month.

Guldklumpen.