Fin Rot?

npila1

[*]Ammonia Level? 0

[*]Nitrite Level? 0

[*]Nitrate level? 5

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? 7.5

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? 6.8 (I use buff it up)

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? api drops

[*]Water temperature?74

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 20 gallons, 5 months

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)? Aquaculture 10-30 gallons

[*]How often do you change the water and how much? 30% twice a week

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size? 2, 2.5-3 inches each

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? prime

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often? twice a day: progold, peas, banana, freeze dried bloodworms, corn

[*]Any new fish added to the tank? No

[*]Any medications added to the tank? Prazi last added 16 days ago

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? yes see below

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? great appetite, very active, but the only thing I noticed recently is that sometimes she keeps her dorsal fin clamped (not all the fins though and this only happens once in a while)

I just noticed that the edge of the bottom part of her caudal fin is whitish and it looks like a thin part of the fin is "missing"...I haven't seen fin rot before, but from photos I've seen on the internet this might be it (even though the pictures I looked at are very advanced stages and this is not that bad at all). I've tried to take photos but her caudal fin moves a lot and I can't get a clear picture. I will keep trying and update this if I manage to get a good one. If it is fin rot, how do I treat it?

If it's fin rot I'd do another good water change and a gravel vacuum. No hollow ornaments right? 0.1% salt should help a lot. (1 teaspoon per gallon). Clean water and salt is the way to go.

Thanks for the reply. I always vacuum the gravel when I do water changes and I have no hollow ornaments. I will do the water change and add the aquarium salt and hopefully it will help. I've been reading about fin rot on other websites that said maracyn should be added for fin rot treatment. Do you think that's not necessary? I prefer not adding medications if I don't have to, but of course I want to make sure it doesn't get worse.

I just remembered to ask, do I add all the salt at the same time?

Edited by npila1

Although I'd like to hear what others have to say, IMO I would not use any meds right now and just do the aquarium salt treatment. If it is finrot, good water quality alone can heal it up fast. :) Pictures would help greatly, if you have the means to do so.

Do not trust other websites where the answer is usually meds. Fin rot is easily treated with salt and clean water. :D No meds necessary. It's more more gentle on the fish and maracyn has way too many other medicines.

Ok sounds like a plan :)

So when you say clean water...do I have to keep nitrates at 0? It's been difficult to keep it less than 5 ppm, that's why I'm asking.

Oh no just daily water changes should be fine. :) Nitrates under 20 is excellent just no ammonia and nitrite. Let us know if things aren't improving. I have found that melafix and salt works extremely well with damaged fins, it's just natural tree oil and really speeds up the process.

Update: I added the salt two days ago (and I haven been doing daily water changes) but there hasn't been a change yet. It's hard to tell but it doesn't look better or worse... When should I expect to see an improvement if the salt is helping?

Here is a really bad photo that should serve to show what area of the fin I'm talking about: http://s932.photobucket.com/albums/ad163/npila1/?action=view&current=DSCF4612.jpg

And since I couldn't get a good photo, I took a video: http://s932.photobucket.com/albums/ad163/npila1/?action=view&current=DSCF4613.mp4

If you focus on the lower lobe of the caudal fin, I think there are times when you can see the "missing" part of the fin.