Snail Bbaaabbies?

CatfishSoup

hello my wonderful koko buds.

so, as some of you may or may not know, i have in my 55 gallon, 2 bettas, and before you go D: they are in breeding containers which work great as well as betta "show" containers. excellent water flow, they have been there for months, no sign of stress, they get uber happy when they eat and what not. anywyas, now the reason why i am writing this is because of the following:

these containers which i have just spoken about, usually either within 1 week to 2 weeks they get brown algae all over, in the inside, due to the fact that i get natural lighting via the window as well as some nice bright HO T5 light fixture not to far away either. so what i do to fix is, is well i know that there is good BBs in there so rinsing it out would be a no no, not to mention the stress of moving the bettas weekly. so what i do is that i call up my zebra snail. i grab him from the 55 toss him in there, and in about half a week to a weeks time, he eats up everything. which is amazing, he cleans it so that its spotless. only downside is that, a lot of food, equals a lot of poop. which is fine, as i use a small siphon to clean it up either half a week in or weekly with my water changes. however, now there is something different here.

At this very moment, my zebra snail has beeen in the female bettas container eating and pooping away, and then my sister, selena, today just pointed out that there are these white things on the container. i went D: and thought of like.. is it something bad?! something good? should i get rid of it?

so now i am here, google didnt really solve it and i really do prefer the double check with you guys before i go off and trust google. are these, what i think it may be, snail eggs? there are about 5-7 fairly small, and fairly white, seed/egg shaped things. maybe the size of a grain of salt? not to sure how to describe its size to a proper proportion. anyways, i have not taken pictures yet, as it is possible that you guys may already know what i am talking about. if not, then i shall take shots if requested by you guys.

if it is snail eggs.. yay? i have only had one snail in the 55 gallon, had him for MONTHS, and hes quite the active snail. so i dunno has IT, finally decided to reproduce? if so, shall i relocate the female betta? or will it not touch it. as it has yet to do anything..

at the moment i am, how can i put this, with mixed emotions. as in, YAY babies! or NOO NASTIES ! so i would appreciate the enlightenment via you guys.

thanks in advance.

Jose.

I'm not really sure what snail eggs look like, but if they do turn out to be eggs, I would get rid of them if I were you. Snails breed sexually and asexually, meaning that once you have those baby snails, they will produce a bunch more, who will produce more and so on until your tank will eventually be overrun with snails.

I'm not really sure what snail eggs look like, but if they do turn out to be eggs, I would get rid of them if I were you. Snails breed sexually and asexually, meaning that once you have those baby snails, they will produce a bunch more, who will produce more and so on until your tank will eventually be overrun with snails.

i know a type of snail that does that.. but mine doesnt... zebra snail. it seems like they are realllyyy slow. so i wouldnt really be too concerned about these guys to be honest. i had before in my ten gal, the snails that usually hang around on live plants when you buy them. that type of snail grew like cancer. but aside from that, this guy. never.

Sorry I don't know anything about zebra snails.I have trumpets and their eggs are so tiny I never see them. I also have have had apple snails and hey have huge sacks of them I just remove with a spoon. I have some small round snails in my 6 gallin i have yet to ID but I never see any eggs from them either.

Do the white spots move?

Sorry I don't know anything about zebra snails.I have trumpets and their eggs are so tiny I never see them. I also have have had apple snails and hey have huge sacks of them I just remove with a spoon. I have some small round snails in my 6 gallin i have yet to ID but I never see any eggs from them either.

Do the white spots move?

havent seen them move just yet. i googled how apple snail eggs look like, and they have that general shape, however i guess zebra snails dont make that tower of eggs, instead they are sort of scattered around. what is the general time period for the eggs.. to hatch? or for something to happen?

• 2 weeks later...

Zebra snail? Nerite snail perhaps. Your description fits perfectly the nerite snail eggs to me. They are laid around and look like sesame seeds. Hard to scrape off but eventually dissolve on their own accord. They need to be fertilized by males. Nerites are sexual and a majority of the species of nerites need brackish conditions in order for the eggs to hatch. The resulting larva will require phytoplanktons which is very scarce in tanks, something that you cannot easily accomplish in tanks.