Dojo Loach With A Hole In His Throat?

Quvantine

[*]Test Results for the Following:

[0] - Ammonia Level?

[0.1] - Nitrite Level?

[5] - Nitrate level?

[8.0]- Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?

[7.0] - Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?

[Nutrafin Test Kit, Drops]- Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?

[Room temperature?]- Water temperature?

[60 litres - 16 UK Gallons, has been running for around a year and a half] - Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?

[Fluval U1 - 55 litres]What is the name and size of the filter(s)?

[Weekly, 30-40% change] - How often do you change the water and how much?

[3 goldfish, 7 minnows and a weather/dojo loach (I will be upgrading to two far bigger tanks to hold them very soon] - How many fish in the tank and their size?

[Nutrafin Aquaplus as a water conditioner and Nutrafin Cycle as a biological supplement] - What kind of water additives or conditioners?

[They are fed on cooked and de-shelled peas, fish flakes and occasionally blood worms as a treat. I feed them once a day] - What do you feed your fish and how often?

[A Sarasa Comet, approx 5 inches and 3 small minnows] - Any new fish added to the tank?

[interpet Anti Fungus and Finrot and Melafix] - Any medications added to the tank?

[Gill cover half red, bottom of chin/throat cut] - Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?

[previously laying upside down on the bottom of the tank] - Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

Around a week ago I added a goldfish and 3 minnows into my tank, I didn't quarantine them as I don't have a seperate tank. A day or so later I noticed my dojo loach's tail and anal fin looked split and a small part of it eaten off.

I suspected the minnows had been nipping him as I saw them doing the same thing to the big comet. (often several at a time and they are doing it now as I type) I treated the water with Anti Fungus and Finrot which I knew immediately was a bad idea as the loach started swimming erratically, it was then I noticed the wound under his chin, I immediately did a 50% water change.

That seemed to help a lot. After a day or two I started treating with Melafix and I'm on the third day of that.

He seems to have one gill cover red with blood and he has taken to hiding in his coconut *house* but is eating well and swimming okay when he comes out for food.

Could his symptoms an indication of an underlying cause?

Recently, I've noticed that the shubunkin has taken to rubbing himself on the sand substrate and flicking in the water.

Could his symptoms an indication of an underlying cause?

Recently, I've noticed that the shubunkin has taken to rubbing himself on the sand substrate and flicking in the water.

I don't know if anyone has told you, and I reaaaaallly don't want to sound rude, but your tank is very overstocked. 16 UK gallons comes out to right around 20 US gallons, which the Shubunkin needs all to himself. What other types of goldies do you have?

The two reasons we recommend 20 gallons per single tail is that A) the get HUGE (say, 17 inches? Correct me if I'm wrong?) if properly cared for and B) Poop like MACHINES. The space is needed for them to grow and thrive, and the amount of water is needed to dilute toxic Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate between water changes.

I think the "inch of adult sized fish" per gallon rule works for tropicals, still, but ONLY for tropicals, and ONLY when you consider their full adult size.

Most of us do 50% changes weekly for our appropriately stocked tanks. I don't know how your params look at the end of the week, but I would definitely do more than a 40% change with an over stocked tank. Maybe two 50% changes a week or one 75% change a week, though I think that might be pushin' it.

The scratching on the gravel sounds like a parasite problem to me, which can potentially be a problem, since you didn't QT. But I could be wrong, so PLEEEEEEEASE don't add ANY medications until you can get a second option from a more experienced member.

I don't know about the hole in the throat problem. I'm still a fish care newb.

I didn't mean to throw so much info at you! I'm sorry!

Keep us posted, we're here to help!

Edited by Iheartfishies1172

I don't know if anyone has told you, and I reaaaaallly don't want to sound rude, but your tank is very overstocked. 16 UK gallons comes out to right around 20 US gallons, which the Shubunkin needs all to himself. What other types of goldies do you have?

The two reasons we recommend 20 gallons per single tail is that A) the get HUGE (say, 17 inches? Correct me if I'm wrong?) if properly cared for and B) Poop like MACHINES. The space is needed for them to grow and thrive, and the amount of water is needed to dilute toxic Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate between water changes.

I think the "inch of adult sized fish" per gallon rule works for tropicals, still, but ONLY for tropicals, and ONLY when you consider their full adult size.

Most of us do 50% changes weekly for our appropriately stocked tanks. I don't know how your params look at the end of the week, but I would definitely do more than a 40% change with an over stocked tank. Maybe two 50% changes a week or one 75% change a week, though I think that might be pushin' it.

The scratching on the gravel sounds like a parasite problem to me, which can potentially be a problem, since you didn't QT. But I could be wrong, so PLEEEEEEEASE don't add ANY medications until you can get a second option from a more experienced member.

I don't know about the hole in the throat problem. I'm still a fish care newb.

I didn't mean to throw so much info at you! I'm sorry!

Keep us posted, we're here to help!

I understand my tank is overstocked and I will be getting two other tanks as soon as possible to accomodate them ALL, thank you for the information none the less :)

I have a black moor, a sarasa comet and a shubunkin and my parameters have been good everytime I've checked them, but I'll keep a close eye from now on.

Parasites were my first thought, unfortunately I know nothing about them..

I was thinking the *hole in the throat* might have been from him catching himself on an ornament, I forgot to mention he has some scratches along the length of his body on top of that.

Oh, Excellent news on the future tanks! Always good to hear!

Does the area look abraded or scratched up? If it looks like it's been torn, catching himself is a possibility. Another possibility is that one of your other fish nipped at him. Maaaybe a skin rotting disease, but don't jump to conclusions!

Is there any way you can get us some photos?

Can you isolate the injured fish? A plastic storage tote (so long as it's clean and has never had cleaning chemicals in it) will work just fine. A spare filter would be great, but I don't know anything about Dojo's or the amount of waste they produce, but you could potentially get away with just daily water changes til he's healed up. Don't quote me though!

• Supporter

i am sorry to hear of the problems.. and yes, unfortunately you do have an overstocking problem that i am sure you are working towards fixing. and that's great to hear..

by any chance, can you get a couple of pics from the wound so that we can see what the problem may be..

would you consider moving your sick fish to a large tub with fresh water and some media from your current filter? at least then you can qt him and treat him with salt to begin healing the wound?

once your fish is separated, and we have the pics, we can begin helping you with treatments that will not pose a health problem to your other fish.. the last thing you want is the wound becoming infected as the infection will most probably affect your other fish. some treatemnets also cause your cycle to crash and this is another reason why the sick fish needs to be separated..

welcome to koko's.. i hope things go well for your fish :)

I'm working towards an 80 gallon tank, which I think should be enough room for all of them. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I can get a 15 gallon tank as a quarantine tank but unfortunately not until roughly this time next week. I don't have a large tub to use and they are great escape artists so I wouldn't feel comfortable having him in a tub.

Is there anything I need to be aware of with quarantine, besides observation, water changes etc?

I managed to get some pictures, these are the best ones I could get.

Loach011.jpg

If you look at his gill cover, it's slightly more red from the bottom up, almost like it has bled into the tissue of the gill cover.

Test.jpg

Sorry it's not so clear, but it was the best picture I could get of under his head. It looks more torn and wound-like than anything, but I can't be sure..

Loach022.jpg

His tail looks like it's been ripped and a part missing near the bottom

I know some medications can't be used with scaleless fish, would this be the same with the loach or would it hinder him further?

I'm sure that's why he was swimming erratically when I medicated with Anti Fungus and Finrot initially, I never checked if it was okay to use with scaleless fish.

Thanks for the replies :)

Edited by Pringle