Plants / Gravel For Tropical Tank

I'm trying to find some info via google about some things and would also like to hear the personal (experience based) opinions of my fellow Kokonuts:

Does the tank for the fish my hubby has need to be densely planted, or are "some" plants enough? With SOME I mean about as much as here http://www.zachandchristie.com/plant_pics/10_gallon_planted.jpg but arranged a little bit differently, having the pants more to the back and one side of the tank.

Angelfish, dwarf gouramis, platies, rubber lip pleco and common pleco, seven fish all together.

And do the plants or the fish have to have gravel? I tied the plants I got so far to rocks/river stones and the driftwood. We don't really want to have lots of gravel, if possible just a thin layer. Plants are lots of amazon swords and I'd also like to get some wisteria and java fern.

Do we have to use fertilizer for these plants? The amazon swords I got are growing pretty good so far without fertilizer.

I would get the ones that float (the fast growing ones) or can be tied to rocks. Try a couple in gravel. 2 inch layer with up to three in the back area. You can try some of the easy stuff like water spirit and see how that does and your amazon swords. Also cheep plants to see how they do.

I would experment find out what works and then get lots of it. Remember more plants mean less algae. But with a common in there might not have that problem. lol

Lot of your easy grow plants can do nicely from the fish waste and feeding a little more heavy then you normally would.

Oh, that's cool, thanks! Yep, I have NEVER had to clean off green algae in my tank with the pleco. She keeps everything spotless. Of course I also feed her algae wafers and shrimp pellets, zucchini/cucumber and she got the driftwood.

Alright, so then it will be gravel. I'll probably get the small, natural stuff. That will look so neat! :)

The only thing will be GETTING the plants. All the LFS here, their live plants look not so great. Except for the tubed plants at Pet$mart, which is where I got the amazon swords from. I believe they also have anubias and java fern and wisteria. I think most of the other plants they sell aren't even aquatic.

But they are kind of expensive, a large tube of plants is 7 - 9 bucks, and you know I'll have to buy at least 10-15 of them.

Any online place that sells affordable, good quality plants?

I personally love the Pet$mart plants. All the ones I bought were the small ones and are now as large as the large ones. Also, there are usually 3 plants in the smaller tubes. One of the amazon swords I have was big enough for me to split it into three more plants. So I got 9 large amazon swords from 3 small plants :D :D :D I think that the amazon sword needs some sort of substrate though. Looking at the roots, they are thinner than those of the anubias. Wisteria is a high light plant. It has only survived in my T5 lighted tank. That tank has 40 watts per 30 gallons of water though. But I think I remember you saying that the tank has 2 40 watt lights? So then it would be ok in your new tank.

Oh, I would check aquabid for plants. The plants are from aquarium hobbyist like us and are usually cheaper. They can also give you advice on maintaining the plants. And most of the time, you don't need to qt them as rigorous as you would the ones from the lfs (I am so not saying to not qt them though ;))

Edited by ashlee18

Your right most of the pet smart plants are not for tanks but bog plants.

Couple places I like to buy from.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/swap-n-shop/ Sometimes you can just ask for what you are looking for and price range. Sometimes you can get stuff and just pay shipping.

I have also orderered from here. Nice plants. Sends a few extras and the bunch plants are more the 20 as listed.

http://plantedaquariumscentral.com/

I have also orderered from here. Nice plants. Sends a few extras and the bunch plants are more the 20 as listed.

http://plantedaquariumscentral.com/

This one looks amazing, thank you very much! I will soon order some plants there! I got a few anubias, a wisteria and java ferns at Pet$mart yesterday in exchange for the Top Fin heater that quit working after three weeks. I didn't have the receipt anymore but since they know me (because I go there every week :D ) they said I could exchange it or get store credit. So I got 25 bucks worth of plants (6 tubes) and a 4oz bottle of Nutrafin Plant Gro. Paid only $ 9 for all that :D