Sign in to follow this  
enesta

Found An Interesting Surprise In My Betta's Tank...

I started my first live planted tank with my new betta. It's been up for about 3 weeks. Haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary, but then today I found a snail crawling up the wall! Still small, but about half an inch big. It must've came very tiny with one of the live plants and slowly grown. So weird! Should I leave it in there... anyone have experience with snails?

I love my snails. Great for planted tanks. If it is a trumpet I would leave it. I thin mine out from time to time. I have some small round ones in my 6 gallon I have been keeping an eye on so far they don't bother my plants nor do they seem to take over the tank. They never get big either so leaving those.

Just keep a close eye on them see how it works out.

I agree with Hidr. It won't do any harm, but if 1 turns into 50 you may need to start removing them :)

I had that happen in 1 of my betta tanks too!!! There was suddenly a snail and round and round the tank he would go(it's a hex),pretty fast too! Then,just as quickly as he appeared,he was goneyikes.gif I have NO idea!!!idont.gif

Crap, now suddenly 2 more appeared and one is eating my plant. That must be why that plant has been dying, they're eatin' it. I hope there are no more lurking around, 3's enough.

Crap, now suddenly 2 more appeared and one is eating my plant. That must be why that plant has been dying, they're eatin' it. I hope there are no more lurking around, 3's enough.

If any more show up, I'd start to dispose of them.

Cool! That happened to me once when I bough driftwood - but then I never saw the snail again... it was only tiny!

Hope you dont get two many though!

I recently had the same issue. I had not added anything new to the tank and after a water change there was this very tiny snail climbing up the side of the tank. Within 2 days he was gone. It has been about a month since I last saw it, I think the goldies ate him.

I think the eggs can last forever... even when they're dry. Then, when placed in the right conditions they hatch. Im sure I read that somewhere... - I suppose it does sound feasable considering how they just show up in our tanks!!

Edited by Migaloo

This may not be the case. I keep a few snails in a little tub and they will only eat dead plants that I put in, not live ones.

Now I'm finding smaller growing ones.. I think I've seen about 5 or so now. I also found these little white clusters of balls on my plant (which looks like it's being eaten) .. are these snail eggs? There's a few groups of these clusters (best shot I could get),

eggso.jpg

And here's a shot of one of the larger snails,

snaily.jpg

wow... i dont know what they are, but they look quite fascinating!

They're encased in some kind of gel.

Either the largest snail died naturally or my betta killed it. Found it floating dead today, not sure what caused its death.

That looks like a tadpole snail to me, we get them for our puffer to munch on and they lay gloopy strings and blobs of eggs stuck to stuff. Entertainingly they can 'swim', they skoot across the surface and can rise and sink in the water using a trapped airbubble. They shouldn't eat live plants, it might be that the plant just doesn't like your tank setup so has decided to die, I am personally incapable of keeping anything that requires its roots in substrate (and unfortunately that includes house plants!) and they all seem fine before they just fall apart, sometimes in a very short time. I did have an apple snail that chowed down a seemingly healthy plant I'd had for a while, he was like a woodchipper sawing through the stems then they'd just disappear in record time to reappear as pellets not long after...maybe he just liked that one...

Tadpole snails are asexual and will reproduce like CRAZY. They are the bane of every pet stores plant tanks and pretty tricky to get rid of. Unless you have a puffer....then what should be 3 days food will disappear in about 15 minutes.

Edited by devilduck

I think they do come in with plants, I've seen snails come in with new orders of plants where I work all the time. Most of them are tiny though so they're easily missed, besides the numbers we haven't had any problem with them in any of the tanks.

Although I have heard that an excessive amount of snails can alter your PH...but I'd say you would need A LOT of them in order for that to happen.