Temperature And Floatiness.

jody

My goldys have been really floaty lately after every meal. It can go on for over 12 hours after feeding. I know overfeeding is the logical answer but I have reduced feeding even more than usual. I have cut the two minute rule down to one and I fast once or twice a week. Nothing has changed lately except I added a heater and have been keeping the tank at 75-76F. Has anybody seen a relation between temperature and floating? I guess I can reduce the temperature to see but I thought I would check first as I know many members recommend that temperature for activity levels. I thought higher temperatures speed up metabolism?

I don't know if there is any effect from changing the temp--it will be interesting to hear what others come back with. But, just wanted to share my feeding and floaty connection experience. I started with the two minute rule and found that my goldfish were eating something like 20-25 (presoaked) pellets at time. That is when my floaty problems started with the round bodied orandas. I consulted on this forum and was told goldies should have only a few pellets each. So, now the big ones (6") get about 5 and the small ones (3") get 2. The ones that had so much in the beginning stayed floaty, I think either their body type, and it got worse as they got bigger, or maybe some inflamation from overeating that had a lasting effect, but I've had no floaty issues with my regular body oranda, my big tele, or my ranchus, that latter three of which never got more than those few pellets (well, the one little ranchu sometimes gets more, but for the most part.. I use tank dividers at feeding time to control all this--he'll squeeze around it, the bugger). I honestly think it is mostly body type and issues for the round bodied ones that got worse as they got bigger, but I am very careful with the feeding now nonetheless.

You might try the Shallow Water Cure that Lionchu has used with success and see of it works. It did not help with mine, but I think my problem is too well established. The trick is to be sure that you have a big enough tank that you can maintain sufficient volume for their needs when the water is shallow. I can't remember all the specifics (there is more in this forum I know, maybe search?), but basically, I think you put the fish in 6" or less water and fast initially, then when they stop being floaty, gradually raise the water over a few weeks. Good luck!

One of my first goldies went belly up floaty for the very first time last night. The only change in their diet was I didn't soak their pellets because I had so many things to do. She probably ate more than her share too. Do you presoak their food?

Yes I am thinking more food related than temperature myself, thought I would check the temperature theory to see if anything arises out of that. It's just when nothing changes but that one thing(tempurature) I tend to want to blame that. The pellets are soaked but they get probably 6-8 pellets each and thats with these new mini pellets I have been trying since the Hikari Lionhead was causing the floatiness as of late. Google is such a big fish I figured she could handle that many pellets as she can suck up 8 pellets in one bite. I will cut the pellet intake and see where that goes. I try to keep the pellets as staple and feed a variety otherwise. Peas, gelfood(peas, spinach, broccili, peppers, blood worms, pellets, brine shrimp), frozen brine shrimp, and gel brine shrimp are foods I feed on a regular basis. The floatiness is most notible with the pellets. I have been thinking of trying the veggie clip thing.

You make some interesting points splillie and things to think about. The shallow water thing might be hard since I have a 27gal tall though. The most interesting is the inflammation from overfeeding that has the lasting effect.

One question, For fasting I have been feeding the peas before a fast. Do you think thats better than peas after a fast? Also are peas better for floatiness than fasting?

Another thing that changed recently now that I think about it is I eliminated green water.

Edited by Hawaiian Crush

I like to give peas right before a fast -- it seems like I'm cleaning the fish out before they fast, which feels right.

I don't know about a correlation between temperature and floatiness, but if that and the change from green water to regular are the only changes recently, it would seem to suggest that there's a link. Maybe your goldfish adapted so well to digesting their food at lower temps that they're having a hard time handling it when their bodies try to speed the food through in warmer water. I'm just guessing here.

And as always, I have to add that I loooooooooove Google! He's such a beautiful fish! His coloring just knocks my socks off.

Peas before a fast sounds right to me as well. Sometimes I will feed pellets if I am going away for a few days just to keep em full for longer.

Interesting about how the temp could be affecting their digestion.

Here are some photos for you Ranchu :)

g4.jpg

g3.jpg

g2.jpg

g1.jpg

As I 've advised on many occasions, shallow water of not more than 7 in (why 7 in deep? it's about just sufficient to cover a sponge filter to get it working effectively) and correct amount of feeding is the only solution. While not ruling out other reasons why your fish float in the first place. Fish that are over medicated, suffering from internal parasites (worms or nematodes) also causes floatiness. What I'm trying to say here is, first try to find out it's underlying reason and treat accordingly then move to shallow water. During the s/w treatment, try to feed (frozen blood worms, daphnia, cyclops and peas etc) as much as it can tolerate(without floating). The idea is to "grow" your fish quickly and improve it's health; then increase the water level slowly(an inch at a time) This is a very slow process to recovery, so one has to excersise great patience.

I've not experienced any improvement with higher temperature and I do not use it since I've to change water daily.

Cheers :D