New Goldfish Momma

wndywees

Hello Everyone,

My grown step daughter came home about 6 months ago for a visit, while here she went to the local carnival. When I woke up the following morning there was a very sad looking goldfish in a plastic bag on the kitchen counter. Being an animal lover (an equal opportunity animal lover) I was upset because I understand too well the fate of most of these poor "carnival goldfish" - they end up in a glass or a very small goldfish bowl, and sadly die. I've never owned fish of any kind so I had no idea how to properly care for my new pet. I went to the store that morning and bought a 2.5 gallon aquarium, then did some reasearch and quickly realized that 2.5 gallons was too small. The following day I bought a 10 gallon tank. I've had Goldie (not a very original name for a goldfish I know, but I didn't name him)for almost 6 months now and up until last week he/she seemed to be thriving. I noticed that his fins had bloody looking streaks. I went on-line and from what I gathered he had septicemia. I bought medication that night, Maracyn two, and will add the last dose to the tank tonight. Goldie looks much better, the "bleeding" has completely cleared up. My understanding is that septicemia is caused from poor water conditions; I do a water change every week (10 gallon tank) anywhere from 25-50%. After reading information on this site I've learned that I need to do weekly water tests to determine how much of a water change I should do. I ordered a test kit, it should be here within the next day or two. Could I have been changing too much of the water?

I've been feeding Goldie dried goldfish flakes, now I'm wondering if I should switch to one of the other diets I've read about. I was thinking about making some gel food and trying that - is that an appropriate diet for a small (3 inch head to tip of tail) common goldfish? Can I give him peas? If so do I cook them and remove the skin?

I'm really enjoying my goldfish. Once I have a better understanding of what I'm doing I hope to get a larger aquarium so I can get Goldie a friend.

I am so grateful that Koko's Goldfish Forum exists, this site and all of it's members are a wealth of information. Even if I don't a clue what I'm doing, I now know where to go to find the answers. Thank you everyone!

Sincerely,

Caz

i have a little black moor,he's about 2 inches top to tail.ive had him 3 weeks and i feed him sinking pellets and gel food which i made myself, which he loves. i also have given him bloodworms as a treat which he loved too,

:welcome

also i feed him shelled,peas one day a week after fasting the previous day. this site is very helful

Edited by sumer

Welcome to Koko's!

I'll tell you right off the bat that it's absolutely impossible to change too much water.

It is, however, very possible to change your filter insert to much.

Do you regularly change filter inserts? That could be the cause of red fins, due to a crashed cycle. If you start a topic in our health section, we'll get right to helping you out!

Unless you started one and I have yet to see it, hehe!

Hello and welcome to Koko's!

About your questions: For any goldfish you should have at least a 20 gallon tank since they will grow big, depending on what kind of fish they are. What kind is yours, a single tail or a fancy tail?

I don't think you changed too much water at all since the tank already is too small and so requires more water changes :) I rather think that he got the problem from the condition of the water in the too small tank.

You should open a topic in the Diagnosis & Discussions section, there people will be able to help you even better :)

• Supporter

Hello and :welcome

This site is great. There is so much wonderful information here and the people here on kokos are the best... very supportive and always willing to help out a fellow fishy lover :)

We'd love to see pics of your goldie.

Edited by amoonklein

Welcome Caz!

It sounds like Goldie has been through a lot but is making it through very strong :) That's great that you had success in treating the septicemia as I hear it is one of the hardest diseases to cure, along with dropsy.

-Calluna

Hi Caz!

I am assuming if Goldie is a carnival fish, he is a single tail? It sounds like he found a good home. :)

Your septicemia comments brought back memories. I have a single tail whose fins will get red streaks. When I did research, to my horror, I was afraid she had septicemia. However, she was acting like her usual self. I did more research and finally figured it was not septicemia.

I tried everything to get the red to go away. She still has the red streaks at times and I have resigned myself to the fact that they will never go away completely. I just keep a very close eye on my water parameters.

Just keep an eye on the fins in the future!

Hey Caz! Welcome to Koko's! Hope you enjoy your time here! You have come to the right place for goldfish guidance!

• 4 weeks later...

Welcome and best of luck!