My Orandas Are Fighting

Guest Oranda_2

Guest Oranda_2

I had only a female oranda in my tank.Recently i have bought a male oranda for my female oranda.I actually want to breed them.the male is 5.5" long n female is 6".But when i put the male in my 13 gallon aquarium,the female oranda started biting him(biting his tail n fins)..then I separated her n put her in a tub for about 12 hours ....after that i put her back in the aquarium with him....but this time the male started biting the female, her fins became shattered.....then I separated the male n put him in the tub for 2 to 3 hrs , but when I put him back in the aquarium with her, he again did the same thing.....i have separated them again.....but i want a permanent solution plzzzzzz help me....its an EMERGANCY !!!!!!

He's right. ^^^ The limited space can contribute to this issue. A 30g should be the minimum tank size for at least two fancies.

How were you able to determine the sexes of your orandas?

Guest Oranda_2

But in the pet store, he was in a small aquarium of about 15 gallon,n also there were 5 or 6 mature goldfish males with him.....n non of them were fighting....n infect he was very calm n happy there....i did'nt understand this thing......any other reason for this?????

Guest Oranda_2

Another thing i want to tell you that I have a new 23 gallon of aquarium.....I will going to shift both of them in it....but I have to buy an stand for this aquarium n this will take a week because of some business..... anyways.....but i think, shifting them to a big tank will not resolve this issue.....what do u think???????

Lupin and George Costanza are right :)

Remember, they are only at the store for a short period time - its a temporary tank and the quality of goldfish care in many (if not most) stores is not the best. They keep the small goldfish tanks overstocked with minimal swimming space and usually poor water quality. Their aim is to sell fish - as many as possible.

The general rule for fancies is 20 gallons for the first goldfish and another 10 gal for each additional fish.

I think shifting them to a larger tank where they have enough space to grow and swim freely will resolve your issue. Its great you have a bigger tank, but you should really look into getting at least a 30 gallon and keep the 20 as a quarantine tank.

Its also possible that one of your fish is stressed and the other fish who might be the stronger one could be is picking on it.

Here is a exerpt from a topic posted by another member "Causes of stress to aquarium fish"

The amount of physical space required for a particular fish depends on

its species. Some fish do just fine in a 10g tank, others need 100g or

more. Keeping a fish in a tank that is too small for it increases the

level of stress (on everyone), frequently leading to increased

aggression among tank inhabitants. Note also that the amount of space

required may change should fish pair off to breed. Cichlids, for

example, claim a portion of the tank for themselves when in breeding

form, chasing away any fish that encroach on their territory. Thus,

the onset of breeding behaviors frequently increases stress levels.

Here is the full topic :)

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/84784-causes-of-stress-to-aquarium-fish/

Good luck with your fish! :)

Edited by Migaloo

Guest Oranda_2

yes, i know that they both are right......but I think they have become enemy of each other now,specially the male....even if I will put them in a big tank together,they will continue to fight......anyways now the female has stop his aggression but the male became violent,he is biting her badly ......do you think that putting them together in a big tank will resolve this????or I should buy another goldfish ,so that there attention can be diverted....what do u think?????? MIGALOO

Lupin and George Costanza are right :)

Remember, they are only at the store for a short period time - its a temporary tank and the quality of goldfish care in many (if not most) stores is not the best. They keep the small goldfish tanks overstocked with minimal swimming space and usually poor water quality. Their aim is to sell fish - as many as possible.

The general rule for fancies is 20 gallons for the first goldfish and another 10 gal for each additional fish.

I think shifting them to a larger tank where they have enough space to grow and swim freely will resolve your issue. Its great you have a bigger tank, but you should really look into getting at least a 30 gallon and keep the 20 as a quarantine tank.

Its also possible that one of your fish is stressed and the other fish who might be the stronger one could be is picking on it.

Here is a exerpt from a topic posted by another member "Causes of stress to aquarium fish"

The amount of physical space required for a particular fish depends on

its species. Some fish do just fine in a 10g tank, others need 100g or

more. Keeping a fish in a tank that is too small for it increases the

level of stress (on everyone), frequently leading to increased

aggression among tank inhabitants. Note also that the amount of space

required may change should fish pair off to breed. Cichlids, for

example, claim a portion of the tank for themselves when in breeding

form, chasing away any fish that encroach on their territory. Thus,

the onset of breeding behaviors frequently increases stress levels.

Here is the full topic :)

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/84784-causes-of-stress-to-aquarium-fish/

Good luck with your fish! :)

I did say I think a bigger tank would resolve this (see red writing above). :)

I definitly dont think you should get another goldfish unless you have at least a 40 gallon tank for the three. ;)

You've been given great advice here. :) And yes, at this point a 3rd goldfish will only make the problem worse.

I wouldn't conclude that the orandas have "made enemies" of each other until you get them into proper setups. Right now they're stressing because they have such little space, and stress can lead to aggression, even in peaceful fish like goldfish. :) Kind of like if a bunch of people were stuck in a small elevator for a long time; eventually even the nicer people would start getting annoyed with everyone! :o

You can buy a couple of large plastic storage tubs if you can't get them into a bigger tank anytime soon. They make great temporary homes and are cheap! :)

Good luck with your orandas! :D

Edited by Commis

Guest Oranda_2

thank you so much to all!!!!!for your suggestions......I will going to shift them as faster as I can......and also hopeful that they will not gonna fight....and i also want tell that my new aquarium dimension is 24x14x18....is it okay for the two orandas????

They should be okay in a tank that size. I used an online calculator on those dimensions and it came out to 26 gallons (if the tank is completely empty with no decor); it's a bit of a squeeze as far as the "20+10 after" rule is concerned, but it's definitely better than the 13 gallon. :)

Yes please listen to the above statements, a 30 gallon tank would be ideal for your fish. This will stop the fighting. Fish get territorial when there is not enough space. Good going on getting that new tank asap.

Important: Please do not keep anything but your two orandas in a 30 gallon tank. That is just enough for their size.

Guest Oranda_2

Again the same situation :(....they are still fighting in that new aquarium...... Actually the male is attacking n biting her fins....i have shifted them in that big tank but why they are fighting now????? :unsure:

I think I should buy a new female oranda in the exchange of my previous one....should I???????

Edited by Oranda_2

I really don't understand why they are still fighting. Maybe try putting a towel or blanket over the tank to make it dark. Maybe that will relieve some of there stress. Are the water parameters good?

Do you have a water testing kit? Please try to get your tankwater parameters tested. Kits can be bought at most lfs and make sure you get the drops not the strips are they're not accurate. Also, you can take a samle of water in and they wil test it for you (I think this is free or close to free - not sure???) This is very important!

It is VERY unusual for orandas to fight like this. Still, the bigger the tank you have them in, the better.

Actually a kit WILL help you and it is necessary for keeping goldfish. You need to test your toxicity levels at all times. If you must give away a fish give away the male and keep only one fish in that size tank. I really think what's going on is that there are space and territorial issues.

Actually a kit WILL help you and it is necessary for keeping goldfish. You need to test your toxicity levels at all times. If you must give away a fish give away the male and keep only one fish in that size tank. I really think what's going on is that there are space and territorial issues.

Couldnt agree more!

No i dont have that kit....but I think this could not help me.... :(

i think i have to exchange the female....this may work....:undecided:

Why do you think it could not help you? The water which the fish live in means EVERYTHING to them and it will certainly help them if people here know whats going on with your water. Healthy water = healthy and happy fish!

Help us help you :)

Guest Oranda_2

No i dont have that kit....but I think this could not help me.... :(

i think i have to exchange the female....this may work....:undecided:

Why do you think it could not help you? The water which the fish live in means EVERYTHING to them and it will certainly help them if people here know whats going on with your water. Healthy water = healthy and happy fish!

Help us help you :)

If the water is toxic or nitrite and nitrates are present in the water then what should I do to remove them?????

Guest Oranda_2

Again the same question I m asking that in the pet store aquarium (hardly 20 gallon) there were 6 mature goldfishes,and they were looking happy and were not fighting......

recently I have visited the pet store ,and all goldfishes were in the same tank of 20 gallon,it means that they have been in that tank for more than a week....still happy and not fighting....so whats wrong with my 25 gallon tank with only 2 orandas?????

can anyone answer this?????

I don't want to sound rude but you need to look at the big picture. They may have 6 goldies in a 20 gallon tank, this is first a temporary home for them. Second most pet store have a large filtration system in the back which you can't see so the water in the tank is not just 20 gallons it is probably alot more. I know in speaking with the manager at the P*t Sm*rt near me there filtration system for the 9 goldfish tanks is backed up by 3000 gallons of water. So there water conditins are always much better (or should be). So I would get the test kit and check your water, if the levels are off this could be the problem, and with the advice you can get here it should be an easy fix. Again I don't mean to sound rude I just want to give you the best chance in keeping the goldfish you had picked out.