What.a.trip.

Kateana

:nana

Hello all my beloved Kokonuts! I'm so happy to be back, you have no idea. :alc

It's even more relieving to have internet access again. I've missed my internet insanely, to say the least. Every time I wanted to research something, there was no Google to turn to, no Koko's to visit for goldie advice and updates, no e-mail to check impulsively, nothing. It's strange how attatched we become to this fabulous, invisible, laptop/desktop-life-giving energy. I was going through withdrawls. :rolleyes: I would like to apologize for stating earlier that I would be gone for 3, maybe 4 days. It seems I flew right on by that ETA by, oh, say a couple of weeks. :whistle

:( I was hoping that during my absence there would be no goldie passings, but it seems fate had other ideas. Since I don't have the time at the moment to stop by each obit and say my peace, I'll just mention my thoughts of sympathy here. To Sue and your beauties Kharma and Kismet, Tay and your precious little Alfred, and Amy and your sweet little Wally-my condolences. I'm saddened to hear of these passings and my heart goes out to you guys. And Sakura, I must say, my heart almost stopped when I saw Padme's name in the Horror Story forum. I, of course, thought the worst had happened and was really bummed. I'm glad to hear she's still with us and doing well thus far.;) Now then, let's get to my main reason for posting here. The trip. Honestly, the 1500 mile journey was'nt that bad. The cold weather worked in my favor, keeping my precious goldies nice and chilly during their pitch-dark, bumpy, and increadibly stressful ride. For last minute planning, their transport container diggs were pretty efficient and a bit genious. The two Fancy's, Kana and Ducky, were in their styrofoam (for insulation) and bubble wrap (for protection of their delicate wens) lined GC shipping boxes. Each box was fitted with a small koi sized 3mm thick square-bottomed fish shipping bag and filled with just enough water to cover the fish comfortably. A piece of styrofoam was fitted to the top of the box to "seal" it and a hole was cut into the top to allow oxygen exchange and provide a hole for the airline tubing connected to a 4" flat dicsc ceramic airstone. Both airstones were powered by my dual outlet AirPod battery operated air pump. All 9 of my singletails were transported in a cooler filled halfway or so with water and outfitted with a large cylindrical ceramic airstone powered by my secondary dual outlet AirPod battery operated air pump. They work wonderfully, by the way, to any of you trying to find a reliable battery/outlet powered airpump. Anyways, back to my story. The Betta kids were each sealed up in their 3" x 14" Betta shipping bags half filled with water and half with air. They were placed all in a styrofoam cooler with some newspaper for insulation and a 60hr heatpack. All water was treated beforehand with Prime, of course. Everyone arrived alive. The you-know-what hit the fan, coincidentally, AFTER I arrived. My problem? The water. My new homes pH, to be exact. Of course after their near 48 hour trip my aqua babies were long due for a w/c, and so I promptly slid on over to the nearest faucet to do some water param testing and prepare for w/c'ing madness. When I got the pH results back, I almost keeled over. :thud Actually, I probably did. After which I thoroughly freaked out. Straight from the tap it was 6.4. My kids were all used to 8.4 back home. I was so jarred due to the fact that I had envisioned our icy Vermont mountain water to be nice and hard. You know, 8.0 and up. Come to think of it, I'm not sure why exactly I had such expectations. My immediate course of action became to keep all goldies as dark, still, and cold as possible while adding another dose of Prime. We had'nt yet turned on the heat in the bedrooms of the house, so they stayed just short or on ice in the masterbedroom downstairs. I started up a large tupperware of faucet water and added a ceramic air stone to let sit overnight. All I could do afterwards pray the pH would rise to neutral or higher. :please Without a computer, I had to rely soley on my own inginuity and hope I could pull something off. By the work of some mystical fate or, perhaps, completely explainable chemical changes, the pH read a glorious 7.4 the next morning. :pianobanana Godblessit, I was on for w/c's. The kids were moved soon enough to large tupperwares filtered by my Penguins. Kana and Ducky were reunited once again in one and the 9 singletails in a larger one. They were all moved upstairs near my room, their temps raised back up to a distantly familiar 68-70F, and food was offered. No crumb was overlooked that day. :rolleyes: To date I have yet to lose any of my goldies. I was'nt so lucky in the Betta dept. I have only 4 of my once 11 Bettas. I'm not exactly sure what took them, but they were lost one by one, slowly and surely. I'm not positive of the cause, but my assumptions firmly rest on the combination of the overall stress, temperature fluctuations after the move, and pH problems. The boys and girls I have left seem to be stabilized. All are eating well and kept toasty via my Hydor Theo heater, set at 85F. My heart broke for their loss of life, and I hope I don't have to lose any more. :cry

Soon my goldies will be upgraded to proper aquariums once we get ourselves unpacked further. For now I keep them going with multiple daily w/c's 'till my bacterial colony re-establishes itself, plently of doses of StressZyme to aid in the colonization, and Prime to take care of the excess Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate missed by my w/c's.

I suppose then that I'll stop this post before your eyeballs fall out or you perhaps develope some version of optic nerve strain from all of this reading and I end up with carpal tunnel :rofl

I can't wait to start frequenting Koko's again and chat with my peeps here. You guys really were missed! :heart

Welcome back! :bighug

And thank you for the condolences you are so very sweet! I am so sorry about your bettas. Perhaps the long drive or temperature got to them? It's strange though how some of them just pass.

We surely missed you as well too and I hope all the goldies and bettas get acclimated safely! :heart

well that was one heck of a story haha. It's good to hear that your goldies made it through the trip alright, sad to hear about the bettas though. :( Hopefully everything works out alright with the new water. Congrats on the successful move, and welcome back!

We missed you too hun. :hug So happy the move went well for the goldies even if you did have quite an adventure once you got there. :o And I am really sorry you lost those bettas, but they are so sensitive to change that there wasn't much you could have done. :( You sure had that move well planned, I'm impressed. :)

Welcome back! :bighug

And thank you for the condolences you are so very sweet! I am so sorry about your bettas. Perhaps the long drive or temperature got to them? It's strange though how some of them just pass.

We surely missed you as well too and I hope all the goldies and bettas get acclimated safely! :heart

Tay! It's great to hear from you! :D

Yeah, I suppose it was a little bit of everything. They all just started dying off one by one a day or two after we arrived. I was just as careful with their w/c's as I was for the goldies; doing just 1/4 or 1/2 w/c at a time so as not to shock them with the lower pH. I really was'nt sure what to do at all since I had no access to advice from you guys. :( It was a real bummer.

Thanks for your well-wishes though.:)

I'm actually off to do the goldies last w/c of the day before I hit the sack. It's been a long day for everyone. Have a good night if you're heading off to bed anytime soon! I'm already feeling like a zombie as it is. :zz

Talk to you tomorrow!

:wub: I adore your Link by the way. Don't worry if he's nowhere to be found in the morning. I'll just sneak my way over to your house and "borrow" him!

Edited by Kateana

well that was one heck of a story haha. It's good to hear that your goldies made it through the trip alright, sad to hear about the bettas though. :( Hopefully everything works out alright with the new water. Congrats on the successful move, and welcome back!

Thanks wigglies! :D

This has been quite the ordeal, I'm just so happy to be back and finally have support from my friends here at Koko's. Thanks for reading and dropping by! ;)

We missed you too hun. :hug So happy the move went well for the goldies even if you did have quite an adventure once you got there. :o And I am really sorry you lost those bettas, but they are so sensitive to change that there wasn't much you could have done. :( You sure had that move well planned, I'm impressed. :)

Aww, hi there Edith!

Thanks as well for dropping in and commenting. It's really great to hear from you guys.

:D It's funny how I'm still like :whatjust: when it comes to the move. There's just fish everywhere in the house along with the boxes. Messy, yes, but familiar. A house just isn't a home without some aquariums here and there. :D

I'm impressed we made it that far on the road with the fish and all the "extras". I mean really, we probably looked like a rolling circus when we stopped at rest stops and I went from opening up the back of the U-Hual loaded shy-high with boxes fronted by my fish to do w/c's, to taking out the litter box so my can could do his "business", then to feeding the goats in the back of the trailer. It was bananas. :nana Heehe. Pun definitely intended. :D

I'm so glad your move went safe and sound! We moved across country with just a dog and a cat and that was particularly crazy. I can't imagine with all of the extras in your case. I am sorry for the loss of your bettas, but all in all it sounds like the rest of the fish handled everything brilliantly. And you did just right by your PH. It will be great to have you back!

And thanks for your kind thoughts on Walley's passing.

Yay! Glad you landed safe and sound! :gcar:

I could not imagine travelling with fish! I had to move just one of my fish but that was only a five minute drive away so I transported him in a bucket on my other half's knee! Needless to say he was soaking wet when we arrived!!! :rofl

Looking forwards to seeing some pics of your tanks all set up and running with you finned friends happily swimming inside! :fishtank:

Wow hats off to you! What an incredible trip!

(Dying of jealousy that you have goats btw!)

Glad to have you back and happy that the goldies are all safe in their new home!

Sorry about the bettas tho. :(

Good to have you back with us K, and glad to hear things are going well. This time hang around a bit, eh? ;)

:D Most definitely! I'll be on everyday now. Koko's really is my FB. ;)

I'm so glad your move went safe and sound! We moved across country with just a dog and a cat and that was particularly crazy. I can't imagine with all of the extras in your case. I am sorry for the loss of your bettas, but all in all it sounds like the rest of the fish handled everything brilliantly. And you did just right by your PH. It will be great to have you back!

And thanks for your kind thoughts on Walley's passing.

:) No problem, I'm sorry I wasn't there to comment properly on each individual obit so I could say more. So I just had to mention it here at the very least.

Looks like we're cross-country buddies! It really is a "intresting" endeavor when one throws pets into the mix. I think I forgot to mention we had our two ferrets in the cab along with the cat. :blink: Trippy. :rofl

Yay! Glad you landed safe and sound! :gcar:

I could not imagine travelling with fish! I had to move just one of my fish but that was only a five minute drive away so I transported him in a bucket on my other half's knee! Needless to say he was soaking wet when we arrived!!! :rofl

Looking forwards to seeing some pics of your tanks all set up and running with you finned friends happily swimming inside! :fishtank:

Hey there Becs!

I know what you mean with the spilled water thing. There was water soaking several of our lower boxes when we started to unpack everything. I'm still a bit stunned to see that none of my fragile fancys were hurt; I was sure there would be some wen bruising. With all the water that had somehow splashed out, there must have been alot of sloshing in there. :ill They were all little troopers for sure! :heart

I can't wait to post pics of them again, but I don't think that will be too soon. I have yet to set up their aquariums.

Wow hats off to you! What an incredible trip!

(Dying of jealousy that you have goats btw!)

Glad to have you back and happy that the goldies are all safe in their new home!

Sorry about the bettas tho. :(

Federica! Good to hear from you as well. :hug

So you like goats? :blink:

I brought two of my favorite Pygmy goats from my next-door neighbor who was a breeder and some of my very best friends. I could'nt bear the thought of parting with my two girls, who I've known since their birth, and pretty much raised. I'll have to post some pictures of them soon as I've been snapping some really cute ones! It's ok about the Betta kids. I just have to 'roll with the punches" and do my best to resolve the water issues. I'm just glad some survived overall. If I had lost every single one, I would have been so devastated.

Oh, and by the way, I found a awsome pet store in my neighboring city! I may try to take pictures of it for you all, but I must mention that the whole underground of it is a aquarium center! I was in heaven... :9

Welcome back! That's some story, too bad about the bettas :( I'm glad you still got your goldis though, at least something!

I hope everything works out well :)

Hey there Fang! :)

Yes, I'm delighted to still have all of my goldies. Coincidentally, it's the Fancys I thought for sure I'd have to say "goodbye" to. I'm glad I was wrong. I can't quite imagine losing both Ducky and Kana to the move, now that I look back on it. That would have been really hard. :(

Thanks for the well wishes!

Very glad to see you have returned! Must be a huge relief that all you goldies and fish made the trip!

Hey j-pond! Thanks for dropping by! :D

I'm soooo relieved to be off the road for sure. :exactly Everything is pretty well nice and quiet. I realize now how nerve-racked I was during that journey. :wacko:

My internet has been off since Spring. I can get online at my parents' house and the library where I'm at right now.

What I really do miss is RPIng, otherwise I'm good to go. I have no desires to form a lot of online friendships.

I lost an entire tiger barb shoal in my move to college. They were huge ( for tiger barbs). This is why I've seriously considered that if and when I move further away, the fishies I really care about will simply be re-homed. It's just better to give them to someone else sometimes IHO then put them at risk.

My water here in VT IS hard and it's got a PH of 7.4.

I'm not sure how close you are to me in southern VT, but would you ever consider sharing a order with me to Rain garden sometime?.

Since I'm having some turmoil in my life, I haven't gotten my single goldfish a friend like planned. I am now probably holding off until Spring to aquire another goldfish and would consider ordering one from Rain Garden.

My internet has been off since Spring. I can get online at my parents' house and the library where I'm at right now.

What I really do miss is RPIng, otherwise I'm good to go. I have no desires to form a lot of online friendships.

I lost an entire tiger barb shoal in my move to college. They were huge ( for tiger barbs). This is why I've seriously considered that if and when I move further away, the fishies I really care about will simply be re-homed. It's just better to give them to someone else sometimes IHO then put them at risk.

My water here in VT IS hard and it's got a PH of 7.4.

I'm not sure how close you are to me in southern VT, but would you ever consider sharing a order with me to Rain garden sometime?.

Since I'm having some turmoil in my life, I haven't gotten my single goldfish a friend like planned. I am now probably holding off until Spring to aquire another goldfish and would consider ordering one from Rain Garden.

Hey Au-fish, curious proposition you have offered there. :)

What kind of goldie do you have currently? As in singletail or fancy. I'm not usually one to buy from RG, because I tend to be really picky about what physical conformation my goldfish carry and their overall balance and such; and RG tends to have goldies with unbalanced form. I buy from GC, though I know well how much more expensive they are when compaired to RG. I just checked out RG's stock and could see some potential cuties that I wouldn't mind bringing home. ;)

Were you looking to find your goldfish a friend now or in the Spring? And whereabout in S. VT are you? I'm in Windsor county, about 1/2hr away from WRJ. If we couldn't work something out, I'd like to note that CL has a couple listed goldies for sale/re-homeing. Someone in Windsor listed a add for re-homeing his two fancys, and a girl in Williamstown has two lovely singletails for sale/re-homeing. If I had a more stable environment they'd be mine right now. :D

I see you stated you're having internet troubles? As was I (caused by our move) untill most recently. I had Verizon FIOS back home and it was fabulous, but they can't lay FIOS up here so we had to get creative. Verizon set us up with these little "Five Spot" modems. They're great. Broadband speed, wireless, compact. One stays at home with our desktop and one goes with the laptop when we're on the go. I highly recommend it-just thought I'd throw that out there.

PM me if you like, carrying on long reply's here gets a bit tedious. :rolleyes:

Have you noticed how much Ducky looks like Ponyo?

Awww, how sweet! He does! I love his name by the way. Sounds very cute. :wub:

Who's the little Oranda-looking fellow on Ponyo's right? His bright orange form reminds me of a Blood Parrot if I glance at him. :blink:

:blink: Wowee, Oranda-Ryukin cross?! It's not a wonder then. He sure is a cutie though. :) So would he be a Oryukin? Or perhaps a Ryanda? :P

Cool beans. New hybrid names. :D