Using Buff-It-Up

nagaraj

Hi I read in one of the treads that buff-it-up from goldfish connections increases ph. I live in new york city, the ph of the tap water is 6.8, when I tested the water in my 10g tank yesterday, it was 6.6. Does ph fluctuate naturally in tap water? Should I increases the ph? Has anybody use the buff-it-up to increase their ph? Ammonia tested 0.25 last week and today it was zero. Looks like my tank cycled at last!

I am new to this hobby. I have lost lot of fish because the people in the local pet store did not educate me properly. After 6 weeks I have one Calico and 1 black moor surviving. I would appreciate any advice in this matter. Thanks

Hello!!

I'm trying to find this buff it up on GFC, but I must be blind...

What many people use for low pH is crushed coral, which is all natural as it releases minerals into the water which raise the pH. I keep about 1 cup of it in a stocking inside the HOB filter and it keeps the water in my 55 gallon tank at 7.5 pH. :)

I like this more than adding chemicals.

I've always used SeaChem Alkaline Buffer in my goldfish tanks. It's a safe phosphate free product and has always performed well for me. I use it once weekly to maintain a higher pH level to keep my GF healthy with never any adverse reactions. ;)

Here's a link to product description:

SeaChem Alkaline Buffer

Hello!!

What many people use for low pH is crushed coral, which is all natural as it releases minerals into the water which raise the pH. I keep about 1 cup of it in a stocking inside the HOB filter and it keeps the water in my 55 gallon tank at 7.5 pH. :)

Hello!!

hey I had another question, will the crushed coral raises ph slowly and will it go beyond 7.5?

hi kukana, I have a 10g tank with 2 gf only. I am new to this hobby, I lost the 1st couple, then bought some more, i lost those fishes, finally 2 have survived. I have a calica for 3 weeks, i just bought a black moor a week ago. how old are your fishes?

Hi! I have quite a few gf of various ages,and have been at this hobby for about 1 1/2 yrs. now.smile.gif We all got here to Kokos looking for solutions b/c gf keeping turned out to be more than we had originally expected,and we just needed help. I came here b/c I had 8 gf in a 36g tank,and had been informed by my lfs that was fine! I was soon to learn that there are rules you need to follow in this hobby-the 1st 1 being that each fancy gf needs 10g b/c they are VERY messy creatures and you will run into problems if you 'over-stock' your tankohmy.gifI would say A LOT of us got here over-stockedyeah.gifIs there any way you can get a 20g tank for your 2 gf? What kind of test kit are you using?

lol, looks like lot of people learnt it in the hard way, like me. I live in a rented apartment and may move next year if son gets into a middle school in a different school district, so i can't go for a 20g tank right now. I got into this hobby because of my son. In a local amusement park he won a bowl of comets in a competition, they died in a couple of days. My son was so sad that i decided i will get him a tank with few goldfish, that started my journey in this hobby. today i got 2 artifical plants and my tank look colorful. i want to upload a picture of it. how do i do it?

The only bad thing about the crushed coral is that you shouldn't do more than a 50% water change without pre-treating the new water with extra crushed coral to get the pH up. That is only doable if you have a small tank, not so much in something like a 55. So for my 55, the crushed coral brought up my pH from 6.8 to 7.4 but after the water change it was back to 7.0. I think that might be stressful to the fish as well.

I'm going to try Buff it Up as suggested by Koko, I'm only a little worried about the experiment part :P

You really want to use something-anything below a 7 Ph is not good for gf. BIU is just a powder you mix w/ some tank water,then add-very easy-very reliable. I am not comfortable w/ my Ph at 7-it leaves no wiggle room-I like mine at 7.4 or so. What kind of test kit are you using? How big are the fish?

To upload photos-it's easiest to go thru a photo host site,like PhotoBucket. Then use the 'insert photo' icon above.

I think you are about to learn that there is more to this gf business toobiggrin.gifYou will need to get Nitrite and Nitrate tests by API also,to be able to keep track of your nitrogen cycle-ESPECIALLY w/ 2 fish in a 10g! I see lots of water changes in your futurewink.gif

The only bad thing about the crushed coral is that you shouldn't do more than a 50% water change without pre-treating the new water with extra crushed coral to get the pH up. That is only doable if you have a small tank, not so much in something like a 55. So for my 55, the crushed coral brought up my pH from 6.8 to 7.4 but after the water change it was back to 7.0. I think that might be stressful to the fish as well.

I'm going to try Buff it Up as suggested by Koko, I'm only a little worried about the experiment part :P

In my case I'm lucky as the tap water is just slightly lower than the tank with crushed coral. Tap has around 7.2, but I like keeping it at least at 7.5 for the fish and the apple snails. :)

The lfs where i bought my fishes does'nt do any nitrate / nitrite testing. Is it necessary to test for nitrates / nitrites.

For sure! If you are no longer seeing ammonia, this means that you are moved on to the next stage in your tank's cycle where the nirites will go up. Nitrite is not quite as toxic as ammonia, but still very bad. Nitrate is the end product and always accumulates. It is the least toxic of the three, but still harmful, so you always need to do water changes regularly to remove it. Check this out for more info :)http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=3

As for your tank, a 10 gallon is much two small for two goldfish, especially commons (single tailed - I think that's what you have?). If at all possible you should try to get at least a 30 gallon, and at the very least make sure the current tank has a lot of filtration.

Now for your original question. I have the exact same pH problems as you. For me it's because the city water is very soft, I have a kH of 0 which means my water isn't buffered very well. I have used crushed coral and it does work, but also becomes depleted. You can get it at any petstore that sells saltwater supplies. A cup or half a cup full should be enough for a 10 gallon tank. However, I strongly recommend you go with the buff-it-up. I've been using it for over 2 years now and LOVE it. I've tried other products in the past and nothing has worked as well for me :)

Here is a good explanation of pH and kH :)http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=65745

• Admin

i use BIU every other water change cause my PH will drop down to 6.8 and i also have a very low KH. A low KH will make the ph drop over time causing the cycle to crash. I personally love BIU and never had a problem with it. :)